Badminton/Taiwan Open: Lin Dan exacts sweet revenge

Discussion in 'Singapore Open / Malaysia Open / Chinese Taipei Op' started by Malaysianfan, Jun 25, 2006.

1. Malaysianfan

Malaysianfan Regular Member

Badminton/Taiwan Open: Lin Dan exacts sweet revenge

26 Jun 2006

CHINA’S Lin Dan exacted revenge for his defeat in the Malaysia Open when he downed Lee Chong Wei to clinch the Taiwan Open crown yesterday.

Lin Dan, the top seed, did not allow a late fight back from second seeded Chong Wei, which cost the former the title in Kuching last Sunday, as he secured a 21-18, 12-21, 21-11 win in the final.

It was Lin Dan’s second title of the year after winning the All-England in January and for Chong Wei, his first defeat in four finals this year.

It was a close battle in the first game until 17-17 but several unforced errors from Chong Wei at that stage saw Lin Dan securing the first game.

Chong Wei came back strongly to take the second 21-12 but the effort had taken its toll and there was no drama in the third game as Lin Dan secured the win easily at 21-11.

It was a totally different story from Kuching where Chong Wei staged one of most memorable fightbacks as he battled from 13-20 in the third game to clinch the final 21-18, 18-21, 23-21 in 70 minutes.

Chong Wei had to save eight match points in the third game to secure a hat-trick of Malaysia Open titles while a bitter and frustrated Lin Dan refused to wear a ceremonial warrior head gear presented by the organisers and also threw the mock cheque away during the prize presentation ceremony.

National assistant singles coach Wong Tat Meng said in an interview from Taiwan that the match was almost similar to the Malaysia Open final but Lin Dan made fewer errors.

"It was neck and neck in the first game and Lin Dan only pulled away after Chong Wei made a few mistakes towards the end of the first game," said Tat Meng.

"Chong Wei was exhausted in the third game while Lin Dan was determined to not let the match slip away again. He was very steady in the third game and gave Chong Wei no chance for a comeback."

There are four more tournaments — Macau and Thailand Opens next month and the Korea and Hong Kong Opens in August - before the attention shifts to the World Championships in Madrid on Sept 18-24.

Chong Wei is likely to play in at least another grand prix tournament before the world championships where he is aiming for the title.

2. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

One observation at the singles final match, LCW is catching up with LD. LCW has successfully narrowed the gap, which is a good sign, while LD is having more troubles now than before.

There is no doubt that in near future, LCW will overpower LD with more superior skills, speed, and more elegant moves.

As for LD, rejecting ceremonial warrior head on the podium shows his lack of respect and arrogance, which does no good to any professional sportsman.

#2 chibe_K, Jun 26, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2006
  3. Malaysianfan

Malaysianfan Regular Member

Yap,agree with you. I just watched the video of Taiwan Open and was impressed by Chong Wei's play, especially his deceiving shots and speed. His net play and smashes are good too. He is improving from time to time and Lin Dan finds it tough to beat him nowadays. However, Chong Wei needs to reduce his errors. He tends to make a lot of unforced errors, which caused him the last few points of the first game at Taiwan Open MS final. If he didn't make so many mistakes, i think that he might have won since he was leading the first game.

4. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

Defense: LCW was able to return most of LD's smashes. In the past, LD's smashes would crush LCW but now...its no longer a threat. This is the most obvious improvement I noticed.

Offense: LCW has developed his own sharp and powerful smash that LD was having trouble anticipating and returning. You could tell LD during the match that LD missed quite a significant number of smashes from LCW.

Speed: I thought LCW was quicker than LD in term of speed.

Moves: Definitely LCW, I love his elegant moves combined with fancy trick shots that LD was having troubles with. LD's style was very dull and rigid, however he was able to overpower LCW with his physical fitness. With LD's style of play, he only has one or at most two more years to last while LCW's career expectancy should be much longer.

Skills: Definitely LCW. He is the "Ronaldinho" of Badminton.

If ther is a MVP award for badminton, definitely it goes to LCW.

5. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    Chong Wei continues to improve ...

Although I agree LCW has made significant improvement but I really think he should avoid using those trick shots on the net, it reminds me the resemblance of Hafiz which ended up killing himself. I think LCW should continue to apply pressure to his opponent using his speed and smashes. LCW was doing very well in Game 2 against Lin Dan but played very passive and try too many net tricks on games 3 and backfired.
    Lin Dan is very one dimensional, pure power and he may find difficult to win against Taufik in WC2006.

6. joetheshow

joetheshow Regular Member

Fulltime day dreamer
    random thoughts

Just a few observations regarding the recent Chinese Taipei Open:

- lin dan looks sluggish since the beginning of the match, and the pace that he's produced is no where near the same level as during the All England Semi. His trademark smashes rarely produced out-right winners.

- LCW appeared to be controlling the game since the beginning, like Chibe_K said, his speed was definitely faster than that of LD.

- Combined with his deceptive qualities, LCW was making it very awkward for LD to retreive his shots.

- The overall feeling was that LCW would have definitely won the final if it weren't for the numerous unforced errors...perhaps the results of the drift in the gym.

this final leaves me with a trace of uncertainty in either's current abilities. Undoubtedly LCW has improved over the past year, however, unforced errors aside, LCW appeared a much better player than I've seen during the All England - how did that happen in so short? Also, there is a sense that LD was in a worse physical condition was worse than usual.

As far as this final went, it is like Chibe_K said, LD is not as deceptive and it was his physical fitness that contributes the most to his style of play. It does make me wonder what LD will do once he's too old to do all those diving crap. In fact if we look at Peter G., being one of the most deceptive players - especially on the service returns, is pushing LD more than ever since the 21 point system has been adopted. I wouldn't be surprised if LD loses in the Madrid WC this year. He's g2 change his style of play or he'll keep losing to players like Taufik time after time.

Lin Dan jia you, even though u won...

7. zqloy

zqloy Regular Member

I do agree on yr comments. I realised other chinese forums, the chinese ppl tend to underrate LCW, dont really know why.... my guess is they only making comment looking at LCW height & build, i doubt they really watched their matches....
    LCW is definately the player to watch and will be more dangerous as days come. He has improved tremendously especially in defense. However, the problem is he tend to overdone his shots which results in making lots of errors.
    I think Li Mao has some work to do to reduce his mistakes in future.

8. sshuang90

sshuang90 Regular Member

One day is Lin Dan playing, Lee Choong Wei will still be outclassed. Lee Choong Wei may do the MAGIC again in the future MO's. But that's it. Magic is magic. Those errors showed Lee's skills were not solid enough to handle the pressure. He dose not only have a problem in a mental strengh but problems in skills indeed.

9. KaSoon

KaSoon New Member

Consultancy Manager
    Why a lot of LCW's fans & supporters can't accept the fact of LCW is lost in the game? Whoever won the finals is whoever that played & performed better at match time.

Just like the finals game in Malaysia Open, LD lost to LCW is a fact.

A good badminton players is required speed, skills, physical fitness, consistence mentality, calm & strategy.

10. Wai Shing

Wai Shing Regular Member

Student
    Errr...I definitely do not agree with that. The Ronaldinho of badminton is more like Taufik or something. The only analogy I can think of between LCW and Ronaldinho is that they're both not particularly good looking lol

11. eguitarcoolboy

eguitarcoolboy Regular Member

I am neither LCW or LD's fan but i like to watch them playing against each other since they show me the different style of plays. No one here actually not accepting LCW's lost in Taipei Open or LD lost in MO, as you said it's a fact. What the forumers doing in this thread is that, they are expressing their opinions regarding LCW skills being better than LD, that's all. And they even pointed out the weakness of LCW, which is weak mentality, inconsistent. But he does improve a lot compared to last year. And in terms of skillfulness, i would say he is more skillful than LD as LCW has a nice net play, good defense skill, fitness, speed and mentality. He lost to LD mainly because LD has a better Strategy and consistency against LCW. One more thing i would like to add here is that, LCW has got a good mentality. In my opinion, you can't say he has got a weak mental strength just because he lost to LD in the final. Qulifying from the quarter and semi final need good mental strength too. Pressure does not only come from the final but the whole tournament right from the beginning.

Indeed, LD was the world No 1 for the last few years, but that does not make him the most skillful player in the whole world. Taufik and Gade could be better than LD in skillwise and often giving him a hard time. Being the world Number 1 only means that LD is showing the best results and the most consistent player i would say, in all the tournament out of all professinal players. LIke one of the forumer said, it is not surprising that the top 10 players defeating each other in a tournament, who can play better, who will be the king. To win a tournament, skill is not the only factor, but luck sometimes plays a significant role.

Regards,
    Kent

12. nelsonkong

nelsonkong Regular Member

Quantity Surveyor
    Just to point out..with that Final in the Taiwan Open, LCW is officially the world number one now. Hopefully he can perform well and stay there...XD.

13. EastDevil

EastDevil Regular Member

What job?
    From your ridiculously unbelievable analysis, I cannot believe that LCW was so fantasticaly perfect and yet he lost the match! But can't blame you as you are blinded by where you come from.

14. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    wah, sharp but yet tasteful;)

15. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Roger Federer is almost in every category a better tennis player than Rafael Nadal (not that Rafa is a bad player, he is still a great player). Few would dispute that. I would regard Roger as close to perfect as a tennis player, yet his head-to-head against Rafa is atrocious. In modern sports, physical attributes matter too much. Flair and skill take a back seat, which is a shame.

I am not saying Lin Dan plays badly. I enjoy his game a lot also. But he's like the German football team. Very steady and consistent and wins quite a lot, too. LCW is like Spain, having the flair but never really winning anything and usually bombs at later stages. Taufik is like Brazil, winning when it matters and winning beautifully, and bombs when he doesn't give a damn.

16. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I am still trying to think which football team Peter Gade is like, but not very successful.

17. Simp84

Simp84 Regular Member

Student
    chill chill man~~ later this thread close down again LOL~:D:D

18. EastDevil

EastDevil Regular Member

What job?
    More like Brazil, the beautiful game.

Taufik is closer to Holland, sometimes total football, sometimes in a mess? :D

19. EastDevil

EastDevil Regular Member

What job?
    Sorry, don't mean to be rude. Just amazed at the almost godly analysis. :p However, I would think Gade deserve it more considering the beautiful game he always play.

20. KaSoon

KaSoon New Member

Consultancy Manager
    EastDevil, I have same observation with you.