clearing deep and high??

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by rotanimod, Jun 27, 2006.

1. rotanimod

rotanimod Regular Member

Student
    I read a badminton guide on playing double. It said that when clearing the bird during defense, make sure to return the bird deep and high. I understand that the reason to hit it deep is to gain distance from smasher as far as possible. But to return the bird high is rather confusing. I thought by hit it high, we're giving the opponents the time and chance to do jump smash :confused:

2. ViningWolff

ViningWolff Regular Member

Process Engineer
    Yes, but then you're also giving yourself time to recover. There may be the odd person who can crush the shuttle for points from the very back, but odds are good you can return the shuttle and keep the rally going.

3. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Also, if you can get it to go high enough, it will drop down vertically. That way, the opponent can not smash.

4. chewablemorphin

chewablemorphin Regular Member

Lifeguard, and a little bit of autobody
    Well you still can, but your timming needs to be perfect.

5. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

it also gives them less angle of attacka nd a weaker smash since the shuttle is dropping down vertically it will have less "bounce" factor on impact.

6. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

get someone to hit i very high and deep clear and you'll know what were on about, try to smash it.

7. rotanimod

rotanimod Regular Member

Student
    yeah, u guys are right. The bird fall down vertically. Normal smash become less powerful and sometimes hit the net while jump smash is really hard to perfectly execute. I just dont get the right timing lol.....

8. harmono

harmono Regular Member

It also avoids them from cutting off the angle and returning it before the birdie makes it to the back court.

9. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

good point forgot to mention that, especially in doubles

10. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Remember in doubles, you would not be clearing the shuttle unless you were in trouble, and needing to give yourself time to recover.

As other people have said also a near vertically dropping shuttle is much harder to hit. Further, it also puts pressure on the attacking player when a shot of this type is played, as firstly they need to put all the pace on the shuttle, and secondly they are expected to play a shot that will put the opponent under pressure, since they have the lift.

If the shot is truly on or near the back line and dropping in such a way, then I would advocate not smashing but dropping or a slower, better placed smash, and wait for a better oppurtunity to give a hard smash.

If your opponent keeps playing this type of shots, don't get frustrated and keep playing the sots that make him do this, sooner or later he will either hit one long, which you will leave, or short which you can attack better.

In AE 2003 Hafiz did a very good job of frustrating Chen hong by playing very high and deep clears, getting into the correct position and returning Chens smashes. Had Hafiz played flatter clears he would have been out of posistion when chen smashed and so chen won more rallies.

11. BananaOfDoom

BananaOfDoom Regular Member

Student
    Well, at least clearing from the back. But a good underhand clear is as good a set-up as any in doubles. One good clear, they smash, and you attack their smash. Easy as that. Best way to get on the attack in doubles.

12. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Clears are not the weapon of choice in doubles, and an underhand clear is even worse. In singles, clears, especially over-the-head attacking clears, are a must-have in your repertoire of strokes to be used. In doubles, clears are only used when you are in trouble or when you play with players, on a recreational basis, who do not know how to score points from them. For serious doubles play clears is a sign of impending trouble.

13. rotanimod

rotanimod Regular Member

Student
    since taneepak pointed it out, i wonder how can i do back-under hand clear so that the bird will go all the way to the baseline. for example, when i was in attacking position and hit a smash, but the opponent returns the smash to my left side and pass through my front partner. I've noticed, all my under-backhand clear always reach only middle part of the opposite court and bang the opponents give an end :crying:. How do hold the racket?? do u use the same grip as for forehand or u need a thumb behind the bezel??

14. BananaOfDoom

Student
    If you watch a good doubles match, much of the time is spent with underhand clears. While you aren't going to WIN a rally with one, they are what allows you to set up an attack.

A good underhand clear will give you a lot of time to be ready for a smash. This means it is quite easy to attack the attack. For example, I send a high underhand clear, my opponent smashes. If I am in the right position, I can either block this smash, setting up an attack for my partner, or drive it and move in, possibly cutting off subsequent shots.

One of the fundamental lessons my coach has taught me is that ANY shot can be an attacking shot. It all depends on what you do with it.

15. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Your last para makes sense, but in a doubles badminton game the side that wins gets more high shots from, than it gives to, the opponents. Hitting down is easier to score points than returning smashes all the time. The only exception is when the two sides are miles apart in skill level, which would be the case when you can easily kill off your opponent's smashes.
    A good friend of mine who is a biginner in badminton and who used to be a golfing buddy of Tan Yee Khan, challenged Tan Yee Khan to a singles badminton game some years back. The handicap was that Yee Khan would play with his left hand and would carry a stool in his right hand. My friend lost, which goes to show that different skill levels tend to distort things a bit, even showing silly strokes winning easy points.

16. BananaOfDoom

Student
    I'm not saying that a side will be able to win rallies by simply clearing the whole time, but it provides a valuable chance to set up an attack. To clarify, it isn't the clear that is really setting up the attack, it's the shot made returning the smash. However, the clear is what gives the clearer time to be ready to attack the smash.

Of course, whoever gains the upper hand in the attack is the team that will win.

17. chewablemorphin

I remember a really fast passed doubles game in edmonton, one side was smashing from the back line the entire time. They were exhausted in game to so they would make errors and set the other team up for the kill. The majority of the entire teams shot were clears. I' m not saying this happens all the time, but it can happen.

18. Nikchan

Nikchan Regular Member

Student
    i think clears shudnt b used much unless they r very accurate and precise. if u do get into as much trouble as to start clearing, it shows that ur opponents hav forced u to clear due to loss of options. this means that by clearing u can almost be perfectly sure that thers a gud smash coming (unless as i said, its a nice clear.)

19. chewablemorphin

Nikchan i think you are a doubles player. In singles about 50% of my shots are clears but i am not in trouble. How else do you get your oponent to the back of the court unless you have a good strong clear?

20. joonu

joonu Regular Member

executive
    In doubles unnecessary clear means invitation of trouble.Do clears only when you are in trouble.It is not so easy to counter attack a good jump smash even from base line if the angle is accute.