User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Monster: i have aches there before, i think it's normal cos there's where your muscles are. i get even more of these aches when i play tennis and try to serve a hard jumpsmash lol. maybe it's the shock, but overall it doesn't affect my game much

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is what my coach told me:

1) If any of your joint aches (those that are used in playing badminton of course), you are swinging wrong or you are landing on the floor the wrong way.

2) If your muscle aches, it is normal and is only one of the pains you must endure while not yet accustomed to rigorous badminton plays. Your body will get used to your badminton movements and muscle aches wears down as long as you do regular badminton drills or play badminton regularly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Diving birdie: thanks. quite reassuring cos I've been smashing that way all throughout lastnight and it works. previously, most of my smashes either got stuck at the net or went flat. So when it worked since last week, I've been trying this new method and today, I felt the ache.

I've heard ppl saying they have their shoulder injured from smashing and some said it's the joint !! Mine is the muscle, phew! Can feel the ache if I use my middle finger and push the flesh of my upper arm. So your smashes are not purely wrist but maybe 70-80% arm followed by some wrist actions, right?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink

aching1999 how does it feel to have joint ache? sharp acute pain during swinging? my pain is those which you'd like to push with your fingers more despite the ache (sort of sadistic, if you know what i mean) and should really be muscle pain and not joint.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Monster
    aching1999 how does it feel to have joint ache? sharp acute pain during swinging? my pain is those which you'd like to push with your fingers more despite the ache (sort of sadistic, if you know what i mean) and should really be muscle pain and not joint.
    There are less muscles located directly on your joints (e.g., knees, shoulder joint), so if you experience pain directly on any of these areas, its almost always a joint ache (although not always). Muscle pains are much easier to tell and detect, just by pressing gently on soar muscle will produce some kind of pain. Joint aches also wears down much slower than pain muscles when you use heat treament (ointments, warm oil, etc.).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

smashing is all about racquet head speed, technique and timing.

too little muscle and you'll do your self an injury
    too much muscle and you'll slow yourself down.

my coach said the greatest training for smashing (without smashing) was throwing golf balls just get a bucket full.. empty the bucket at your feet throw one ball as far as you can... take the empty bucket to where you threw the ball and throw balls into the bucket. this should build up your shoulders correctly without packing on muscle and improve your action. (doesn't do anything for your wrists tho..)

key points on technique
    1. use your abs!!! the biggest muscles / muscle group you can use in an overhead are your abs / obliques. to do this don't get too side on to the net - hips facing the net - racquet leg slightly behind the non-racquet let, twist so your shoulders are almost perpendicular to the net - you should feel the tension in your abs.. arch your back a little.. racquet above your head - then bring it all round.. your arm comes through, your abs go from stretched one way to crunched the other, your none racquet arm goes from pointing at the shuttle to the sling position so your hand is touching your racuqet shoulder, prontate your forearm to generate the maximum power.

so.. a fairly complicated technique.. practice is the key, and also - i think, natural co-ordination comes into it. It's hard to take, but if you get to your mid to late 20's and you cant' smash as hard as you want to, then you never will.

Good luck

Neil

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

but if you get to your mid to late 20's and you cant' smash as hard as you want to, then you never will.

I agree with you 100%.But I disagree with you regarding the above quoted portion, from my own experience.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I smash a lot throughout a tournament, my quads get a build up of lactic acid. And I eat oranges which helps a lot.

Sometimes I dont use the jump smash a lot, but rather play *smart* and only use the jump smash when I really need to.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

practise your wrist by using glass bottle or rubber hummer, or squash racquet.. do it everyday.... fore hand and back hand.....

pretend that stuff is your racquet... so you need to swing it like you swing your racquet........make sure you grip it strong enough, if not you're in trouble...hoo.hoo

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So your smashes are not purely wrist but maybe 70-80% arm followed by some wrist actions, right?
    actually it's quite hard to break down the work of arm/wrist into percentages, but personally i think for smashing, the wrist does as much as the arm. of course u might think---how can strength of wrist be compared to that of the arm. but i can tell you a lot of power comes from the quick movement of the wrist on the instance of contact with the shuttle. without movement of wrist, no matter how strong/fast the arm is, it's quite impossible to pack a powerful smash =)
    what do u guys think

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a point to add....some smashes are more 'purely wrist' than others, especially those when you don't have the time to do your usual full swing. Lin Dan does it quite often...overhead '点杀'--- quick movement of wrist but considerable power nevertheless.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

timming.....and wrist excercise is very important....

for wrist excersice you can do with glass bottle, or squash racquet, or rubber hummer.... just play it pretend that item is your racquet..... but becarefull if you using it at home make sure you hold it strong enough...or it will be demage your stuff...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

btw, if you keep on smashing all through out the game, do you normally have some ache near your shoulder? I don't know what these muscles are called but it's somewhere behind your shoulder. Imagine looking at your body from the back and it's the muscle near the arm and shoulder (actually at the arm when I stretched out my arms). Not near your neck but far out to your upper arm. It's probably the deltoids.

Anyway, back to my question. Do you get this aching? Is it normal or am I smashing the wrong way? I smashed with my arm/shoulder for power and towards the end a bit of wrist flick for steepness.
    the only pain i get from either smashing or clearing for a long time is in my triceps, but not in the area you described. i used to get it though. i think that you are using a lot of your whole arm while swinging. you should only be using a bit of the swing, and most of the action should be your body turning and your wrist. you probably swing much more than required, and the swinging tires ur shoulder muscles...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2