Smashing's training

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by gsc300, Jun 28, 2006.

1. gsc300

gsc300 Regular Member

How do you train your self to increase the power of smashing and the height of jump smash??
    :confused:
    Really need to know, ASAP

2. lorus_blue

lorus_blue Regular Member

keep on practicing?

3. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

if you look around the forums you will find the answer, theres lots of other thread like this.

4. RevoWithin

RevoWithin Regular Member

pharmacy undergraduate
    to increase power..can do push-ups.. make it a habit, do it everyday, 20 or more everyday.

to increase height of jumping smash, jump up both your legs with knee touching yr chest, of cuz u need bend down a bit yourchest in able for your knee to touch. u may find it difficult for first few times, but after awhile u will be ok, after few weeks, u can fly to sky ! p/s: its tough but you know, no pain no gain !

5. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

weight trainings always good but good technique is always better, coaching and practicing will give you more power then weight training alone, also i think weight training wrists would beinifit more to power gain.

6. RevoWithin

RevoWithin Regular Member

pharmacy undergraduate
    weight training is good , can boost up yr power..
    but make sure u r older than 16 to do the weight training. ppl under that age not advisable.

practise on more the smashes. if ya dun hv a coach, can ask yr fren to help. just practise SMASH ONLY.

7. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

i think its alright to weight train at younger age, just using very low weights and high reps wont stunt your growth. excersises especially like sqauts and leg press and bench press with high weights will damage growth plates.

8. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    well the better your technique the more power you will get, dont forget to use your whole body to gain power, your legs, and espically your abs with the rotation when you come through it cause you will get massive power from those factors alone. About jumping well you can do some weight trainig to get more power in your legs as well but just start of small and eventually you will be catching big air. good luck with it.

9. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

dont forget wrist pronation, thats gives tons of power too, and gives angle for the smash.

10. jas1121

jas1121 Regular Member

Accountant
    Yea, i agree with Lam , i used to think weight training will stunt growth too with low weight and more and fast repititions but maintain correct form , it should give u the power u need. I will like to add a few more exercise, the leg extension and the leg curl so that to strenthen your hamstrings. I

11. aching_1999

aching_1999 Regular Member

Project Manager
    How do you learn effective (w/ sufficient power) smashing (wether jumping or not) quicker? Is there a training technique to do this? (e.g., Smash training only for 2 wks w/ a day of interval, or perhaps an additional mental game supplement). Can anyone share their training programs in the boards? Thanks!

12. Nikchan

Nikchan Regular Member

Student
    i think progress up the ladder is ideal - master the noob smash first, without jumping. when u got gud at this, your wrist and arm action is fluent, start hopping a bit for smashes.
    as u play more, these jumps get higher by themselves, u dnt need to do anything about it. and soon, you'll be jumping gud.
    thts how i learned to JUMP only.
    I NEED HELP ON MY TIMING! i think timing is crucial for a smash, cos cometimes i jump up way before cue and by the time the shuttle reaches smashing level, im almost back onto the floor, so i usually end up with a weak clear.
    i also have trouble with the stance cos i think jump smash stance and body action is much different from the normal smash without jumping. i cant differentiate properly, and so i dont hav a consistent for a jumpsmash.
    help plz?

13. joonu

joonu Regular Member

executive
    Major part of power comes from wrist pronation.When you lean forward staying in the air(jump smash) part of body weight transforms to racket.This also adds power.
    Weight training is good.But it lessens your mobility and flexibility.

14. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    don't forget the body turning. it makes a lot of diff in power

15. Monster

Monster Regular Member

btw, if you keep on smashing all through out the game, do you normally have some ache near your shoulder? I don't know what these muscles are called but it's somewhere behind your shoulder. Imagine looking at your body from the back and it's the muscle near the arm and shoulder (actually at the arm when I stretched out my arms). Not near your neck but far out to your upper arm. It's probably the deltoids.

Anyway, back to my question. Do you get this aching? Is it normal or am I smashing the wrong way? I smashed with my arm/shoulder for power and towards the end a bit of wrist flick for steepness.

16. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

nope don't get this, got pain in the shoulder before though but not in the region you described.

17. Monster

Monster Regular Member

u dun get any aching at all? or you are used to smashing a lot and so no aching? or if u do ache, say after weeks of not playing badminton, where do you ache if you keep smashing?

18. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    Monster: i have aches there before, i think it's normal cos there's where your muscles are. i get even more of these aches when i play tennis and try to serve a hard jumpsmash lol. maybe it's the shock, but overall it doesn't affect my game much

19. aching_1999

aching_1999 Regular Member

Project Manager
    Here is what my coach told me:

1) If any of your joint aches (those that are used in playing badminton of course), you are swinging wrong or you are landing on the floor the wrong way.

2) If your muscle aches, it is normal and is only one of the pains you must endure while not yet accustomed to rigorous badminton plays. Your body will get used to your badminton movements and muscle aches wears down as long as you do regular badminton drills or play badminton regularly.

20. Monster

Monster Regular Member

Diving birdie: thanks. quite reassuring cos I've been smashing that way all throughout lastnight and it works. previously, most of my smashes either got stuck at the net or went flat. So when it worked since last week, I've been trying this new method and today, I felt the ache.

I've heard ppl saying they have their shoulder injured from smashing and some said it's the joint !! Mine is the muscle, phew! Can feel the ache if I use my middle finger and push the flesh of my upper arm. So your smashes are not purely wrist but maybe 70-80% arm followed by some wrist actions, right?