Help! Thumb Problems

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by MikeD, Jun 30, 2006.

1. MikeD

MikeD Regular Member

Landscaper During Summer
    Hey everybody, I post once and a while, so I thought I would again.

Recently, I decided to take up a sport known as "parkour". Basically, freestyle gymnastics, and while attempting to do a flip my gymnastics training failed and I put my hands down in a bail (big no no). Long story short, i dislocated my racquet thumb and I'm wonder if there will be an big consequences. I can already tell that It won't set the same, seeing as its a little bent and im worried about my grip. My thumb still works/looks like a thumb but instead of bending striaght down at the phalenges joint (midthumb) it curves... hard to explain. like one side dips down lower that it used to... so my thumb when its bent is uneven.... anyone thing my grip will be effected...??:(

2. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

yes, your grip should be slightly weaker since your thumb was damaged and your backahnd probably wont be as strong maybe, time to go play and find out.

3. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

Hey, now with a hook thumb you can go for all sorts of awesome trick shots that the rest of us can't do. That plus throwing in a few backflips into your game will make you a pretty fun player to watch!

4. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

awesome shots such as?

5. Jinryu

Jinryu Regular Member

Librarian, RacketsportsMontreal.ca owner
    I think the general BC advice reflex will be "go see a doctor" which is pretty standard to see the extent of your injury.

But don't lose hope-- people who get injured, even with reduced ability in one area, will find the most interesting aways to compensate for their injuries. It just means that your grip technique may potentially become 'unorthodox', that's all.

There was someone on BC who had a problem with a twice (maybe three times?) dislocated shoulder, and if I remember correctly he/she still plays-- just had to go through proper rest period to heal the immediate damage and then play with more concientiousness of the injury until it develops into a natural form.

6. MikeD

MikeD Regular Member

Landscaper During Summer
    I am going to see a doctor tomorrow.. bringing my racquets too to explain the whole grip thing... If it won't heal correctly, I'm going to ask if they're willing to set it correctly.. i know that means another month of not playing.. but i'd rather be technically proper than be unorthodox :/

7. Jinryu

Jinryu Regular Member

Librarian, RacketsportsMontreal.ca owner
    bringing racketS, as in plural?:rolleyes:

I think you only need one. Unless you want to show them how your grip is different for head heavy or light headed rackets.

(Just teasing, don't mind me:D)