Breaking strings far too often all of a sudden

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by wiseguyant, Jun 30, 2006.

1. wiseguyant

wiseguyant Regular Member

Student, happy days:-)
    Hello, i'm wondering if anyone can help me with this issue,

the background, i play with 2 carlton powerblade elites strung at 20lbs with yonex bg65-ti.

i bought racket 1 in february, strings lasted until 3 weeks ago when they broke, have restrung and broken 2 times further
    racket 2 was bought about 3 weeks ago and the strings have broken twice.

so 5 breaks in 3 weeks playing 3 times a week when usually strings last 3 months. at least 4 if not all 5 have been breaks at the side of the rack, about 7th and 8th string up right next to the frame.

Can anybody account for this sudden change of pattern? i have a maybe above average smash being a county squad player but its not a rocket or anything

my and my stringers thoughts are the gromits are cutting into the string, on racket 1 2 of the gromits are very damaged so this looked likely. but on racket 2, the almost perfect gromits have broken 2 sets of strings.

I was trying to contact carlton for some replacement gromits but since racket 2 has broken with apparently good gromits there doesnt see much point.

Could it be anything else, hot weather, something about technique

Any thoughts are much appreciated, i dont want to change to a thicker string or a different racket but i may have to

Anthony:)

2. Viper2005

Viper2005 Regular Member

Play Badminton Everyday!
    It's possible the string was damaged already during stringing. If the stringer accidentally fold the string during the installation, the string may break quicker.
    Where did the string break? In the center or off to the edge of the racket?
    If the break is near the edge of the frame, it is most likely that you miss hit the shuttle causing the break. If the break is in the center, then the string already had a weak spot or some damage on it already.
    recommendations: Change to a different stringer, try the regular BG65-without the Ti, don't slice the shuttle so much.
    Good luck.

3. wiseguyant

1 of the 5 breakages was from a different stringer to the other ones so i dont think it was the string. they keep breaking at the edges obviously due to mishits but i used to mishit the shuttle when i wasnt breaking strings like clockwork, probably a lot more as i wasn't as good then.

i shoudlnt have to change string as bg65-ti used to be fine with my old rackets but may have to:-s

What effect does slicing the shuttle have?

Anthony

4. MING PARIS

MING PARIS Regular Member

restaurant owner
    If it is too easy to break change to BG 43 o,74mm could be better for you but less feeling!
    make sure restring is well done with changing grommet when they are brokened!
    or buy a machine and do it yourself!ahah!
    MING

5. Viper2005

Viper2005 Regular Member

Play Badminton Everyday!
    Using BG65 is better if you mishit alot, I find it a bit more durable than the Ti. If you miss-hit alot, you may want to take some lessons from a coach. A coach may be able to help correct your swing techniques/strokes.

Slicing the shuttles can wear down your string very fast from the high impact/friction. The BG65Ti has the Ti coating that makes the string a bit more slippery, so when you slice the shuttle, the string tends to move/shift alot (especially at low tension). Imagine the string shifting back and forth, the string will break due to the friction. Costing more $$$ to replace the string.

If I use any string with the Ti coating, the tension will have to be in the 30+lbs range. This will reduce the string shifting and moving.

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    1. Check if any gromments are damaged or not. If so, a split gromment can cause the string to snap in no time.

2. The stringer might using tools (e.g. owl) is a un-proper way, which means damage the string during the process.

7. snoopy

snoopy Regular Member

agree, check grommets are not broken or damaged.

8. CoolDoo6

CoolDoo6 Regular Member

I would suggest trying a completely different stringer. If the string breaks still, then the problem is most likely to be the racket. If there is any contact at all between the edge of the string holes and and the string, the string will be cut. Sometimes the hole edge can cut through the grommet and contact the string. This can be quite hard to spot and you have to look at the hole where the string broke closest very carefully. A string cut by the hole edge will show a sharp cut. This is distinctly different from a string ripped apart by a miss hit. If you miss hit a lot, you can always ask for an extra cross at the top or bottom of the racket head.

Some people just hit very hard. One guy at my club breaks any string I give him. The only solution I can think of for someone like that is perhaps reduce the tension used.

9. tk009

tk009 Regular Member

Supposedly at uni studying
    It could be a combination of reasons. Sounds like one of your racquets has some pretty bad grommets, but not hitting cleanly and miss hits can also reduce their durability and from where the breaks are occuring sounds like that is the reason. I agree with the others get a different stringer I find that sometimes that makes a huge difference not just in durability but performance also.

10. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Also, take storage condition into consideration as well. If the place you put your rackets are too hot/dry (e.g. car trunk), then, the string life is likely to be reduced as well. :rolleyes:

11. wiseguyant

I think my stringer may have found a solution to the problem. firstly he took out the 4 grommets at the troublesome locations and in comparison to other grommets he thought they were rock hard- just plastic apparently compared to other grommets which are a plastic-rubber composite and softer. hence any damage to the grommet and it cuts through the strings. so he has since restrung the racket replacing the dodgy grommets with rubber tubing around the string and so far so good.

if anyone else experiences a problem like this, this seems a good way to solve it

Anthony