my serve is illegal? please help...

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by yoyomonkey, Jul 2, 2006.

1. yoyomonkey

yoyomonkey Regular Member

So i have been serving in double where i try to push the birdie over the other player by using my whole arm, is that illegal? No body complain so far until yesterday. He said that i'm not suppose to move my arm just the wrist only. I'm not sure he meant lower arm or upper arm.

#1 yoyomonkey, Jul 2, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2006
  2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    yomonkey, it is legal. Just make sure it is one forward motion and contact of shuttle made above the wrist level.

3. yoyomonkey

yoyomonkey Regular Member

Hmm, so you can move your upper arm right...I'm very good when serving like this, one time i can score up to 5 consecutive points.

Cooler, i jst want to make sure we are on the same page. i'm talking about backhand serve where the motion is continous and i use both lower and upper arm to place the birdie at opponent backhand corner.

4. coops241180

coops241180 Regular Member

Product Owner
    hi there - there are a few things to check to make sure your serve is legal.

1. both feet are on the floor
    2. you racquet is pointing in a downwards direction when you strike the shuttle
    3. your racquet head strikes the shuttle below the height of your lowest rib
    4. once your racquet head starts going forward it cannot pause or go back again.

if you violate none of these checks then your serve is legal - it doesn't matter what parts of your arms move at all.

hope this helps

Neil

5. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

the serve is 100% legal, doesnt matter for forehand or backhand, you can use wrist or your entire body to serve, your choice.

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    You can use any part of the arm, not restrict to wrist only. Just make sure you don't violate other serve rules, as others listed in this thread. ;)

7. coops241180

coops241180 Regular Member

Product Owner
    perhaps he was trying to coach you - if your backhand serving the best action is the one that moves as little as possible - it reduces the margin for error. so just using your wrist is usually quite a good serve

Coops

8. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    oops, a big typo.
    it should read shuttle contact should not be above the waist level to be safe.
    coops241180 said no higher than lowest rib level which is the absolute height contact level. Personally i rather concentrate on an accurate serve than making sure contact made at the highest allowing height.