Young coach need help with coaching

Discussion in 'Coaching Forum' started by omegared, Jul 4, 2006.

1. omegared

omegared New Member

Hi Everyone

I am a relatively inexperienced coach who has played league level for many years, and now have decide to give back sometihng to the sport in the way of coaching.

I will be taking on a six month, 2 hours every sunday class of around 10 people who in standard are just passed the beginning stage.

I was wondering if any you guys out there can give me some pointers on what material over this mass amount of time i have to include every week, how to build it up and to keep it fresh an enjoyable for my 8-10 year olds.

The coaching i have done in the past has not been for a six month span, so deciding on how to implement the whole lesson scheme is a bit dawnting.

Any help would be fantanstic.

Regards

Omegared

2. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

You will find as many opinions about coaching programmes as you will find coaches; often it is most effective to adjust your plans depending on the group.

Have you gained a Badminton England (or similar) national coaching qualification?

8-10 year olds usually have low body skill and will tire easily. Do not expect to achieve too much too quickly, and do not be hard on yourself if their progress seems slow!

Children of this age also lack the discipline and concentration of older and more committed players. If you can keep things fun, and not burden them with expectations, then it will help a lot.

Bearing this in mind, you may want to keep the practice sessions short and interrupt them with games (either badminton or other fun games). Young children often have good fitness for a short period and love to run about, but their stamina is very limited.

You may even consider junior rackets and shuttle alternatives (don't feel you have to consider everything, however, if you are to be a good coach. One thing at a time!).

#2 Gollum, Jul 4, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2006
  3. omegared

omegared New Member

Coaching sessions

HI Gollum

Thanks for your reply

I have recently passed the level 2 coaching award and up till now my coaching has been a bit here and there. This is the first time i will be running a course for this length of time.

As i have been brought up with lesson plans, for a six month period i am wondering what is the best content to start with and how long is it going to take to do all the plans, an awfull lot of work will be needed so i would like to get the basics down right in the first place.

What is everyones thoughts on this please?

OmegaRed

4. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Sounds like you are in much the same situation as I was about a year ago :)

The level 2 coaching award is a great foundation for coaching, and you should feel confident that, as a fully qualified coach, you are going to do well.

Different coaches have different styles; now that you are qualified, you do not have to write up a plan for every session. Of course, writing a plan can help you -- but only use it if it helps you. If you find it easier to plan more loosely (and flexibly!) in your head, as I do, that's fine too.

You still need experience, however; don't try to plan "the perfect coaching programme". Just plan a few major topics that you want to cover in the first few sessions, and see how you go from there :)

For example:

First session: mainly you observing the players so that you know more precisely what they can already do. You could show them the basic forehand grip in this session, and ask them to try it out on court. You could perhaps do doubles or singles service if you feel there is time left over. If you do doubles service, then it is probably best to teach them the backhand thumb grip at the same time.

Second session: maybe service, or revision of service if you have already done that. You could perhaps extend this with a very basic return of serve practice; but don't expect them to be able to attack the serve; just teach them how to be ready, and let them lift as much as they want. If you have time left over, maybe teach simple netshots.

Third session: you could try forehand clears. This will take them a very long time to master, but you are going to have to introduce it at some point! Maybe mix it in with something more easily achievable, such as revision of serve and return of serve. If you have time left over, you could try a practice that encourages them to use netshots as a return of serve (if you covered netshots last week; otherwise you could introduce them).

There are many other options, and no one programme is "the right one". You will probably try to do too much too quickly, as I did; but don't worry about that either, because you're still doing a good job even if it isn't perfect, and they are learning all the time.

In more general terms, here are some topics that coaches usually agree are good to introduce very early on. Take your pick:
    • Serve -- low serve in doubles, or high serve in singles. Low doubles serve should probably be backhand (easier and better), so needs backhand thumb grip. Note that the high singles serve has a second purpose: they will need this for racket feeds to the rearcourt.
    • Grip -- basic forehand and backhand grips first.
    • Return of serve -- where and how to stand.
    • Forehand clear, with emphasis on throwing action.
    Soon after, you could try some of these topics:
    • Forehand dropshot.
    • Netshots.
    • Lifts from the net.
    • Basic doubles positions.
    • Use of panhandle (forehand) and thumb (backhand) grips to play overhand strokes in front of you; reminder that panhandle is not for forehand overheads.
    • Doubles flick serve.
    A bit later, you can try more difficult topics:
    • Forehand smash.
    • Net kill.
    • Service return, with aim of playing the shuttle flat or downwards. Quick movement to the serve.
    • Split drop.
    • Movement principles: racket foot striking.
    • Hitting principles: take shuttle away from the body; take shuttle in front of the body.
    • Drives.
    • Pushes and blocks to the net.
    • Smash defence (revise doubles position).
    And of course, there are many more topics. In particular, there are many topics that relate to movement and are not so badminton-specific. These can be great for kids, but as an inexperienced coach, it is harder for you to know how to teach these topics. This is an area where I am weak. I find it easier to coach badminton-specific skills than fundamental movement skills, because I am more knowledgeable and confident with badminton theory than with broader sports movement theory.

Good luck :) Remember that you are a fully qualified coach, you do know what you are talking about, and you will surely do a good job.

You will also make mistakes, and wish you had designed better practices, and wonder whether the kids would be progressing more quickly under a more experienced coach.

Well, maybe they would -- but probably not much more quickly. In the meantime they've got you, and they're lucky to have you :)

#4 Gollum, Jul 5, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2006
  5. omegared

omegared New Member

Thank You

Hi Gollum

Thank you very much for your reply, this is also my first time here and the responses i have recieved from yourself are fantastic.

I am comming to relise that this site is an awsome way of gathering experience on a massive scale. This is something i am trying to encourage our county of coaches to arrange with regular meetings for coaches.

Thanks again for your help and if you dont mind i will add you to my buddies list and keep you informed on how i get on.

Kind Regards

OmegaRed:)

6. leo29

leo29 Regular Member

Use three to four courts with helpers, and do a run around game, where the kids run around the courts and hit it, if they lose three lives, then theyre out, if they win, they get a prize!

Always works!

7. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Glad to help. Please do let me know how you get on, and any tips you learn as you go :)

8. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Yes, these sorts of games can be very good fun for the kids. They can be especially useful when you are low on courtspace. There are a couple of caveats, however:
    • If the game means that a large group of kids is playing with one shuttle, then it follows that each kid has a long wait before hitting the shuttle.
    • If you use a "line up behind one another at the back of the court, come forward and play a clear" type game, then it leads to bad overhead technique; players will be taking the shuttle too far in front of them and will start using a panhandle grip.
    As "Power and Precision", the Badminton England coaching magazine, said:

"Death to queuing at the back of the court!"

9. babyhui25

babyhui25 New Member

hi.. i a sitll a student but i got help a badinton academy some trainig.. and i found out tat there is sth helpful for children.. try serving half courts and ask the child to touch the shuttle wit their shoulder... tis can imporove their aming for kids age 6-10/11 .. it really do.. if dun understand tell me i tell u again .. wish u good luck!!;)