Low-Mid range racket

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by RohBC, Jul 7, 2006.

1. RohBC

RohBC New Member

IT Analyst
    Hi folks,

This is my first post and I am pretty desperate. I need to buy a new racket tomorrow before a singles match on Sunday (my shaft snapped playing last night). Racket available in my area are going to be Yonex or Carlton.

I have been playing for about 1 year, using a Yonex MP-23 and really like it. I have tried a Carlton Powerblade for an hour a month or so ago, but couldn't get used to the weighting of it, I think it was head heavier that my MP23. I don't know a lot about tech specs on rackets, most of my research has been done today.
    I play mostly doubles (mixed and mens), and like to play all over the court, I'm not a particularly offensive player, but due to height and strength I tend to end up playing the back in mens matches, though prefer neat drops and close net play. As such I want a racket with a lot of control, that isn't going to take me hours to get used to (like I said, my first real use will be in a match the day after I buy it). I was looking at an AT300 or MP 44, though was also looking at the AT500 as I can get it fairly cheaply (in comparrison to normal prices for it). I was looking in the region of £50 ($90-100 ish), but can stretch up if required.

Can you offer any suggestions?

Also, if someone can explain what U (3U, 4U etc) and G (G3 G4) mean, I would appreciate it. I know U is to do with weight, and G grip size, but that is all; how does it affect the racket? Same with stiffness really, as far as I can gather the stiffer the racket the stronger the smash, but harder to play tight controlled shots?

Many thanks for your time!

Ben C

2. Steven_Master18

Steven_Master18 Regular Member

student
    3u and 4u is the weight of the raquet...4u is lighter than 3u..
    G3 and G4 is the size of the grip... G3 is bigger than a G4

If u have a match sunday, u wont really have chance to get used to a new raquet..my suggestion would be to get another MP23

3. yozshura

yozshura New Member

Hi all, i dont want to open a new thread so i post my question here:

Recently i wanted to go seriously with badminton and bought a n1 wilson racket for about 50€. So far i was satisfied with it but recently it got into a collision and gonna broken. I´m quite weak, play mostly singles, defensive style and often can not clear deep enough to push my opponent back, therefore i want to find a racket can add more power to my clear.

The only rackets in price range 40-50€ i found are Yonex MP-25 or MP-30

Any recommendation is appreciated.

4. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    some general comments here..

a) You will get much better info if you search and READ the wast amount of information and reviews of rackets in this forum, than just ask general question like "what racket can you suggest in this pricerange etc)...

b) its 2006 and you obvioisly got an internet connection, so the choices available on rackets are pretty limitless (internet shops!!!). So I cant really understand comments like "The only rackets in price range 40-50€ i found are Yonex MP-25 or MP-30".

c) If you are limiting yourself to rackets you can find in your local stores (non internet shopping).. Then the answer is even simpler.. Any decent shop will let you testplay the racket, and then you make your choise (if not, then why buy from the local shop, for a higher price than an internet shop, at all ??? )

/Twobeer

P.S. And i agree, if you are in a hurry and need a racket for sunday.. you´d better go with the model you been using and are comfortable with...

#4 twobeer, Jul 15, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2006