chance of a lifetime

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by mis-timed, Jul 8, 2006.

1. mis-timed

mis-timed Regular Member

dreamer!
    hello all. just thought you might want to hear about this...
    one of my friends from sunny england has just gone to china to teach the chinese players english, in return he gets to train with the chinese national squad. the post is for 5 years!!! at the moment he plays for lancashire county 3rd team, so he is a decent standard, but can you imagine how good he will be when he comes back- if he ever does!! i will try to find out how he is doing and let you know if anyone is interested, mabeye he will give us some secret chinese badminton tips!!!

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    wow.

chance of a lifetime indeed. very excited for your friend. as i know, the Chinese squad do get internet connection in their bedrooms. maybe you can ask your friend to join BC and have him post some pictures and maybe even have him invite the Chinese players here? it will be a good way for them to practice their English, by communicating with their fans in English. :)

3. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

r u serious.... thats not fair :crying: ! I might teach english in Macau next summer hopefully get to train with some good ppl....

4. BananaOfDoom

BananaOfDoom Regular Member

Student
    That's amazing. I, along with my coach and other players from my club, were supposed to go to China this past year to train, but it didn't end up happening because the head coach of our club is retiring, and our coach had to be there while the head coach was away.

That would have been probably the greatest experience of my life thus far.

5. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Well, unlike your BC name, your friend's opportunity is "well-timed" :D . That's amazing! How the heck did he land the gig :eek: . What level players will he be teaching English? Regardless, I would assume he'd be in pretty lofty company, badminton-wise. Congrats to him and we look forward to your updates :)

6. Tezta.com

Tezta.com Regular Member

I stay at home as much as possible
    I think its great for your friend plus a good idea for the china team to learn english properly.

7. mis-timed

mis-timed Regular Member

dreamer!
    as far as i can gather, he will be training with the main players and teaching them english. i think it will be pretty hectic due to the olympics in 2008, he has gone over at just the right time!! if he is still alive, that is!!! i can only imagine how hard they train every day.

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
  9. mis-timed

mis-timed Regular Member

dreamer!
    my friend is from the north of england with a thick wigan accent. god help the chinese players. here in wigan we speak like this... aw rite, ows thay doin, wat duz tha want thee.

10. madbad

madbad Regular Member

I wonder if the Chinese Badminton authority take accents into account before employing someone. Surely it's part of their research process.

11. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    But tell your friend that we certainly need photos and lots of it :).

12. BadFever

BadFever Regular Member

yes, yes, yes. photos, photos and more photos. Please post here.

13. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Talking about accents, in Singapore the education authorities are now considering to hire native English speakers to teach in our schools. There is now a debate whether it is advisible.

Some said the standard of spoken English here has deteriorated. Now "Singlish", which is mixture of English spoken in very heavy Singaporean accent, itself very Chinese dialect-based because of the largely Chinese population, with Malay words thrown in for flavour. :D It appears that many children are still weak in the English grammar and if this continues, our leaders fear that outsiders may not be able to understand the Singlish that Singaporeans use at the world stage such as for business with the western countries.

My fear is that, as described in some posts, the so-called native speakers themselves speak differently, depending on which part of the UK they hail from. Some may not be well versed with the English grammar for teaching purposes. There will be different accents, unless we choose language teachers who speak, say Queen's English.

I would prefer we engage English lecturers to train our own teachers to teach proper English, which we used to have at one stage. Our own teachers know our local kids better. Our kids may find it difficult to understand the foreign teacher whose accent they may find funny, to begin with. Singlish accent itself is not really that bad as it has its own identity, provided the correct use of grammar is emphasized in our schools. And intonation, the correct stressing of syllables, are taught to the teachers who themselves impart to the school children. ;)

14. Player13

Player13 Regular Member

i can imagine one of the chinese team doin an interview at say the Beijing 2008 olympics where millions of baddies and non-baddies watching, jaws dropping around the world:

CNN reporter: "So what did you think of that match there XXF?"
    XXF: "wuz awrite, ada bituva ard taam the'e in tha firs raand, yeah..."
    reporter: "..."

mis-timed, feel free to correct my impression of wigan at any time ^^