How would you deal with this??

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by BananaOfDoom, Jul 8, 2006.

1. BananaOfDoom

BananaOfDoom Regular Member

Student
    So, a couple years ago, I was playing a national mixed doubles consolation match. The time was sometime around 11 PM, we were the last match of the day. All of the officials had gone home, the only people who remained were parents and some players.

Lo and behold, we had a disagreement on shuttle speed, partway through the match. We asserted that the shuttle was far too fast, while the opposing team said they were too slow.

Of course, testing insued. The other team tested it first. The girl on the other side was the tester. She hit the shutte, it landed about 8 inches short of the first back line. Seems slow... My partner (the girl on my side) tested the same shuttle. When she tested it she almost hit the wall on the other side.

What should we do in a situation like this??

2. drop_n_net

drop_n_net Regular Member

Student
    sounds to me like there was some wind maybe?

3. BananaOfDoom

Student
    Not to my knowledge. The girl I was playing with it very strong, but you should never be able to almost hit the wall with a shuttle.

4. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Regular Member

Since the shuttle wasn't deemed ideal by either side (i.e., too fast for you and too slow for your opponents), how 'bout getting another one?

5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    it wouldn't be a problem if mavis 300 were used :)

6. BananaOfDoom

Student
    We're gonna use nylon shuttles for a national tournament??:rolleyes:

7. BananaOfDoom

Student
    But then the problem still remains, that any further shuttle we try to use will have the same disagreement over speed.

8. mettayogi

mettayogi Regular Member

Switch side and test the shuttle. If the drafts existed only 10 ft above you may not feel it down there, and switching side makes both side happy, or at least realize where is the problem. I have played in a gym where wind is only obvious when you clear high.

The only problem is the rule doesn't allow you to switch court in competition even if both side agrees :mad:

9. BananaOfDoom

Student
    Hmm, that would be worth a try if it happens again. Honestly, if we both agreed to it, we could have done it. It was a consolation match, none of the officials were even there.

10. wun.sun

wun.sun Regular Member

There is no way that a draft can cause that much of a difference of a shuttle's speed. It is not possible that a draft can cause a shuttle to appear to be 9 inches short of first back line, to hitting a wall on the otherside. This just boggles the mind. Maybe, one of the testers were just really tired, and maybe asked their partner to test. I mean, you were playing the last match of the day, and most likely, were extreamly fatigued. I think that the only possible solutions are the testers.

wun.sun

11. BananaOfDoom

Student
    Well, I know that the difference lay in the strength of the teams. I know that my partner was much stronger than the girl on the other side. But how could we come to a resolution given that there weren't any officials around??

12. Dummey

Dummey Regular Member

Student
    I would bet on the problem being a draft too. The problem with modern AC system is that it forces rising air to occur on one side of the room while a cool down draft occurs on the other, this could account for some of the difference in speed and distance. Another has already been mentioned with just a draft pushing the birdie along, a player might not be able to feel it, but a small push of wind can make a big difference in distance.

Player condition could of also played a part in this, since the time was hitting such an abysmally late hour, fatigue could of set in on the opponent which might be why she hit short so much.

Also the general room temperature might of cooled down by a lot, birds tend to fly farther through cool then hot air.

13. CWB001

CWB001 Regular Member

It is inexcusable that the tournament referee was not present. He/she should have been available throughout.

14. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Try another tube of shuttles.

15. coops241180

coops241180 Regular Member

Product Owner
    yep try another tube..

get the other players to test the shuttle too,

get somebody who's not playing the game to test the shuttle ;)

call the tournament ref on his mobile... ;)

Coops

16. LuckyBoy

LuckyBoy Regular Member

why not just grab a new shuttle? like ants said or from the same tube

17. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Besides try another shuttle (or another tube), I really don't think there's much you can do, even if the tournament officials are there.

For a national level tournament, I assume the shuttles are provided by the organization (mostly, with sponsorship). Then, whether you like the shuttles or not, there's nothing much you can do, besides play with it. Of course, some feedback to the organizer could be useful, especially if a group of players want to express the same feeling.

I wonder how did your guys feel about teh shuttles throughout the event? Is this the only case, with a bad shuttle? Or, you were having trouble with the shuttle the entire day?

18. BananaOfDoom

Student
    The shuttles were fine. Most people found them as fast as we did, as far as I remember.

Usually what would happen is you'd ask an official to find a third party to test the shuttles, but as there weren't any officials there, and hardly and people left at all, that wasn't really an option either.

19. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    if no official there, i would propose:

one side pick 6-12 shuttles acceptable to them
    other side pick 6-12 shuttles acceptable to them

play one game each using only same kind of shuttles.
    If a rubber game is call for, play to 8 point (OSS) and switch shuttles when switching court. In the NSS, play to 10 and rotate court and shuttles. The best team will reflect on their skills in adapting different shuttle speed.

#19 cooler, Jul 10, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2006
  20. joonu

joonu Regular Member

executive
    Your team said the shuttle is fast and when it was hit from your side it went up to the wall [​IMG].When your opponents who said the shuttle is slow hit the shuttle it reached 9'' back of long service line [​IMG].It is quite natural because it is the natural outcome of your opinion.Since the referee was not present an unbiased player's opinon could have been sought.