HELP/info on outdoor badminton

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by EDENROSE, Jun 8, 2001.

1. EDENROSE

EDENROSE Guest

Hello helpful outdoor badminton enthusiasts,

I need suggestions on good rackets to be used on an outdoor grass court. Also if anyone knows anything about shuttlecocks with rubber tips..often made in England...They fly high and are a little heavier, thus they can be used in windy conditions. But any suggestions would be appreciated. PLEASE reply. Thanks for your help. Edenrose

2. Brett

Brett Regular Member

Where do you live? If in the US or Canada, go to the homepage for this site, click on the Equipment Retailers site and go to the Badminton Alley webpage. They have an Alpha beginner's set on sale that should be significantly higher quality than the typical beginners badminton sets that are available. If that costs too much and you are just looking for an inexpensive set for very occasional use, try your local discount store. WalMart has them as cheap as $12.50 or so. Be warned, you will likely get what you pay for. You will find that the super cheap racquets are really bad once you develop 10 minutes worth of skills. They are too heavy, strung too loose with horrible string, are easy to break, have slippery grips, you name it.

If you and your playing partners want to get more serious about the sport and are contemplating joining an indoor league, you are all better off getting quality graphite racquets. If you are considering taking this sport more seriously, drop a message and I will direct you to a post from a few months ago with more advice.

Rubber-tipped nylon shuttles are rubbish - they don't fly well, are too fast, became damaged too easily and give you an inconsistent game. I think, but am not positive, that Yonex and Carlton make outdoor weighted, cork tipped, nylon birds which are better in all ways to the rubber tipped ones. Check out those stores on the Retailers page to see if anyone carries the outdoor shuttles.

Good luck.