ABC changed to BAC

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by thiery, Jul 13, 2006.

1. thiery

thiery Regular Member

According to an unnamed source, ABC (Asian Badminton Confederation) had been changed to BAC (Badminton Asia Confederation) to avoid clashes with other ABC acryonms such as...

-Asian Billiard Confederation
    -Asian Bowling Confederation
    -Asian Basketball Confederation

There is also rumour saying that IBF will be replaced my BIF (Badminton International Federation) to better promote badminton in international level.

:D

2. CWB001

CWB001 Regular Member

So BIF will be run by Punch. Hehehe.

The words don't even work grammatically as Badminton International Federation.

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    err.... BAC!

i agree. grammatically better if it were BCA, or Badminton Confederation of Asia. BCA sounds much better than BAC also.

4. taufik-ist

taufik-ist Regular Member

it administrator
    BCA : bank central of asia :)

5. thiery

thiery Regular Member

Despite the grammatical error, the acronym BAC had been approved and was used in the recent ABC general meeting.

However, the new acronym for IBF has yet to be determined. The proposed acronyms are BIF and BWF (Badminton World Federation). Hope there stick with IBF.

6. EastDevil

EastDevil Regular Member

What job?
    I seriously wonder if the bunch of people in those committees are qualified professional executives/managers or not. Some of these naming things should be done in consultation with professional marketing or branding companies. Anyway, using the confederation word sounds weird. they should stick with federation.

For suggestion's sake, how about FIBA (Federation of International Badminton Associations)? Haha...

7. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

It should just be IBA International Badminton Association. BIF sounds kind of stupid

8. Jessica

Jessica Regular Member

Student
    Ya lor,i prefer IBF.Actually what the ferderation name is not important,the most important is they really can be in the world class level.

9. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

FIBA - Federation of International Badminton Associations. FABA - Federation of Asia Badminton Associations. Actually, anyone knows Malaysia's native language here? Since the headquarter is there, maybe we should use the acronym from the native language to make it unique and special.

10. Double_Player

Double_Player Regular Member

Ikatan Bulutangkis Dunia?...IBD? that's Indonesian. The Malaysian should be close to that...Perserikatan Bulutangkis Dunia? PBD?

11. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    The IBF may be headquartered in Malaysia now but it is an international organization and should therefore use a language which is known to most countries. This language happens to be English. Imagine should the IBF move its HQ again, another change of name in the language of the host country may be needed and this will cause a lot of confusion and expense.

By reading the name, many will know what sport the organisation represents. For this reason, I think it is not a bad idea to place the name of the game "Badminton" first to give the intended impact.

12. winstonchan

winstonchan Regular Member

CBO (Chief Babysitting Officer)
    does it matter?

really, does it matter? abbreviations are so commonly used that any arrangment will easily coincide with another meaning...

but if they must change it, would The Confederation of Asian Badminton (CAB) makes more sense ??

#12 winstonchan, Jul 13, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2006
  13. qinglong

qinglong Regular Member

This is a little dangerous.
    If they make a mistake somewhere later, they can be labelled "Cuckoos of Asian Badminton"...

This is a bit silly, hee...

#13 qinglong, Jul 14, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2006
  14. hara^kazuko

hara^kazuko Regular Member

Well, putting "badminton" ahead of other words sounds like Malay to me... Malay language is used to putting the main noun in front and the rest behind (Hukum DM, Malay language's grammar)... But this is definitely not for english... The whole thing sounds weird.. I wonder if it's a Malaysian suggesting the name

#14 hara^kazuko, Jul 14, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2006
  15. Jessica

Jessica Regular Member

Student
    Ya,i personally think that IBF is definitely better that BIF.But anyway,the name is doesn't important as long as it is really working.:) By the way,where have you been recently coz i seldom see you posting here?:confused:Well,are you ready with the Macau Open???

16. hara^kazuko

lol, have been participating in lots of competition. Basketball, table tennis and volleyball in the exemption of badminton :p (I think I suck in badminton)... And I'm damn so tired...

17. Jessica

Jessica Regular Member

Student
    Wow,you are so talented that you good in many sports.Why,Are you badminton skill that lousy?:confused: I think you have underestimate yourself,since you are so good in sports,i doubt you badminton skill won't be that lousy lar.i am different from you,recently just participate in a badminton competition:p .If you are tired,have a good rest or else you will get sick.:) :)

18. hara^kazuko

But table tennis is only the sport I'm good at it, I just won a silver in single and bronze in mixed team :p

Anyway, sorry for being off topic.

19. drop_n_net

drop_n_net Regular Member

Student
    how about IFB? International Federation of Badminton? lol