Do you have the same problem->sleep??

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by akn112, Jul 14, 2006.

1. akn112

akn112 Regular Member

I've noticed that when I play badminton with 9 hours of sleep under my belt vs 6-7 hours or less it can drastically change my gameplay. I know your probably thinking well, of course less energy= worse player. But when i say drastic i mean, no sweet spot smashes, half court clears, triple the frame hits, and just seriously overall trash technique. And thats only with a two hour difference in my sleeping pattern.

Theres alot of recommendations of diet patterns and practice, but how much does sleep affect your gameplay?

2. jayes

jayes Regular Member

Badminton specialty selling strings, grips, shuttl
    Yeah, sleep is very important if you want to have good game play. I remember that many years ago, sometimes I did not sleep for 24 hours and just went to play. It certainly affected my game play. Fortunately, I can concentrate mentally due to training, my gameplay was not too terrible. However, in general, I certainly will not advise playing without proper sleep.

Cheers. :)

3. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

Not sure how old you are but if you are under 30 years old and having this problem....man, your recovery time is taking way too long and you got to check with doctor if you have too much acid in your body. You probably need to change your diet, such as cutting down on meat intake, especially red meat.

On the other hand, if you are over 30 years old, then its aging that you are dealing with and nothing much you can do. You probably need to give your body more time to recover or get a quality sleep the night before.

4. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

Of the "lifestyle" factors that affect performance, lack of sleep has one of the more significant effect on your game. It is subtle, but generally I find myself less aware of what's going on the court, less able to control the direction of the bird, the timing of my shot, etc. I'm more likely to make unforced errors, and easily fooled by fakes.

With diet, I only find problems if I've been underfeeding and don't have energy to play, or if I have a large meal digesting in my stomach as I'm on the court.

If the competition is not that important, then just tough it out. You don't always have perfect conditions when competing, and it is a skill to be able to hang in there when things aren't going well. I know I've played a few tournaments after pulling a one-nighter, it isn't the best feeling but it happens.

If you have a major competitition coming up, then take precautions to ensure that your sleep is caught up in the week before the contest. The reason for this is because sometimes, due to anxiety, sleep the night before a major competition may be poor. Then, by preparing your sleep ahead of time, you create a "buffer" of extra sleep to help keep you awake on the big day.

Of course, optimally you could get 9 hours of sleep each night, but practically, we all know that never really happens.

5. akn112

akn112 Regular Member

Thx all for your input,
    to stumblingfeet-> haha right now im getting about 5 hours of sleep while trying to work two jobs, and when i do play baddy, it's like ive mixed up my right/left hands. Wish was like the good ol' days where i could slip in 12 hours and goto play bton =P

also, im only 19. nowhere close to 30 yet, haha no excuses for me ><

6. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

lol i play better when im tired. I dont think too much then.

7. Monster

Monster Regular Member

I play even though I'm tired too. I do notice more stamina and powerful strokes having rested for a few days without badminton.

However, sleeping 7 or 9 hrs, does not seem to affect so much as compared to playing consecutively for 3 days without rest in between. Maybe if I only sleep for 4-5 hrs, that would make a noticeable diff too.

Wow! You sleep a lot ! I barely have 8 hrs of sleep each day. I'm in my mid 20s.

8. virtualkidneys!

virtualkidneys! Regular Member

thats not so true, i got 5 hours sleep one night and played amazing the next day and i made some huge saves. The next day i got about 10 hours sleep and i played terrible the next day!

9. westwood_13

westwood_13 Regular Member

Student
    It's been demonstrated that short term sleep loss will not drastically effect your play. But deprivation over time will certainly do it.

Personally, I train about 3-4 hours a day and if I get less than 9-10 hours of sleep a night, I'm a basket case.

10. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i read a health statistic that on average, people who slept 6.5-7.5 hrs per nite have longer life expectancy than those people who slept less or more than that.

11. westwood_13

westwood_13 Regular Member

Student
    I've heard that too!!! Although I heard 7.5-8.5. Regardless, it scares me!!

12. killersmash

killersmash Regular Member

that is nonsense -.-" btw sleep is important.. the more sleep the better :D

13. yy_ling

yy_ling Regular Member

Student
    hmm, a girl is giving me sleepless nights

14. azn_123

azn_123 Regular Member

Student
    Sleeping isn't a problem, I always have plenty of sleep--mininum 8.5 hours a day and sometimes 10 hours.

15. ionoo

ionoo Regular Member

yes i too have read that people who actually get 9 hours of sleep or something are actually more likely to die earlier lol and couple times too much sleep is actually bad so more sleep the better not so much

16. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    Sometimes I go for training after 4-5 hours of sleep. Even the warm up(jogging) can make me tired then. Hehe. Then again, once I slept like 12 hours.. and felt like sleeping another 12. Read before that if you oversleep you can actually be tired the next day.

But whether my strokes are affected is another thing.. I mean, sure, sometimes we have off form days, where every stroke we hit is half-court, out, or just plain lousy. But to say it occurs because of lack of sleep.. well, I don't agree with that. As far as I know, sleep only affects your stamina/fitness level, and nothing else.

The dying earlier part? My theory: Since we never know when exactly we're gonna die... how can you say one died earlier due to lack/excess sleep? Lol!

IMHO, of course. ;)

#16 Joanne, Feb 11, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2007
  17. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

Your problem is all mental. If you believe you need x hours of sleep to play at level y then thats how much sleep your going to need. You will have to convince yourself you dont need as much sleep.

18. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

That sounds about right. I'm sure in an extreme case eg. 0-2 hours sleep would probably screw you up pretty bad the next day though :).

In my experience, I've even found that sleeping too much night after night (12 hours or more - during the holidays of course :eek:) would cause me to feel slightly tired and lazy and affect my reaction speed. That was just recently actually and since then, after getting back to my normal sleeping patterns I've felt far more alert and motivated when I play. And it certainly doesn't happen over night either. It took at least a week of getting back to my usual sleeping hours before I felt normal again.

19. wedgewenis

wedgewenis Regular Member

Actually I can Train with a good amount of effort even with little sleep but it makes my mind slow, this and having less energy will make my movements sloppy - When tired you will be training to play sloppy as good muscle memory will be replaced by sloppy motions. Even just practicing too long will have this affect.

I also notice that when I am tired my emotions get the better of me, I will be very angry when I make mistakes and dwell on them.... I have never smashed a racket or used foul language after getting enough sleep..... I've learned that I only do this when i'm very tired from lack of sleep. :eek: