I'm A Left Hander

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by brotherpig, Jul 17, 2006.

1. brotherpig

brotherpig New Member

I'm a left-hander, and you?

There are many left-hander are good at badminton but in general it's difficult for a left-hander play badminton well.
    If you a left-hander, too then why don't we share to each other what about badminton that we know:)
    I know a website that you can download free a lot of badminton's videos. Untunefonately, this website is in chinese and I don't know chinese http://www.badmintonworld.org/bbs/index.asp?boardid=76.
    If you have badminton's video for left-hander, please share it with me.

Thanks a lot:D

2. akn112

akn112 Regular Member

I like being a lefty. it usually gives me the first few rallies easily =D, that is, until they notice.

3. quik_silver

quik_silver Regular Member

Analyst

What?? :eek: Why do you think it's difficult for a lefty to play well?? It's all about practice! Even though many players are righties, it's hard for righties to teach lefties. And to let you know, I am a lefty too and I don't think it's too difficult to play well becuase there's practice!

Play more and learn from your mistakes! That's how Lin Dan became the top-seeded players for a while!

4. BananaOfDoom

BananaOfDoom Regular Member

Student
    Yeah, it's no harder to play as a lefty than a righty. However, I am terrible at playing against other lefties...

5. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    A lefty here. Yeah, got the same issue with other lefties too. It's so rare to pair up with a fellow lefty.

6. brotherpig

brotherpig New Member

hi, everybody. I want to say thanks for every your replies:)
    They encourage me much because I've just practice badminton for a short time. And I must learn a lot from your experience.
    Actually, I play not so bad but my back hand over head is not really strong:(
    So, if you have video from lindan or any other lefty-player, please share it with me:)
    Thanks
    brotherpig2000@yahoo.com

7. Alaric

Alaric Regular Member

IT Consultant
    I think everyone struggles with overhead back hand shots.
    It's one of the most difficult shots to master.
    Certainly I still suck at it.:D

It has been said that being a lefty in sports such as badminton or squash where speed of reaction is important can be an advantage.

The theory behind this is as follows: (or something very similar to this anyway)

It's meant to be due to the fact that the right side of the brain processes visual images and then sends this information to the part of the brain that controls movement. Movement of the right side of the body is controlled by the left side of the brain and movement of the left side of the body is controlled by the right side of the brain.

So in a left hander the processing of images and movement are all dealt with by the right side of the brain, whereas in right handed people signals need to travel from one side of the brain to the other. To do this only takes fractionally longer, but where split second reactions are important it can make a difference.

The article I read about this also stated that about one in ten of the population is left handed, whereas if you look at the top players in reaction based sports this number is significantly increased.

I haven't got any figures to back this up, but certainly the men's singles final at the All England championships this year was between two lefties!:)

If you are interested I found this link which contains more details.

http://www.anythingleft-handed.co.uk/sports.html

8. quik_silver

Analyst

When you play double with a righty, talk with your partner about the strategy. Opponents tend to pick on the centre area, communicate with the other person!

9. quik_silver

Analyst
    Share for Lin Dan's video in the Tournament sharing forum.
    If you're a double's player, find Cai/Fu's video. I watched a lot of their matches to help me with my games! Very good source of learning.

10. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Without a doubt:D. I have been playing baddy for awhile and had lots of experience playing with right handers. It's the left hander partners that threw me off:eek:. With a right hand partner, I know how to set him up for a smash or divvie up court coverage. Not so when I play with a fellow leftie. It takes me alittle longer to adapt, and when I did eventually adapt, I would invariably not play with a lefty for quite a while and as a result lost what I learnt when I do get the chance again:(.

11. akn112

akn112 Regular Member

lefties might be quite hot at badminton...but i guess we're not very good at golf (if anyone saw those lindan pics) =P

12. JasonMichael

JasonMichael Regular Member

IT consultant
    lin dan might not be good at golf maybe due to lack of practice, but phil mickelson(a lefty) might be one of the most talented golfers out there currently... :)

13. Dandirom

Dandirom Regular Member

Computer Related
    Correct. Being a lefty can become an advantage. When playing doubles players always instinctively lift or clear towards what is normally the weakest side of the other team, the backhand side -- when your a lefty you can give them quite a surprise when what they expect to be the backhand turns out to be your forehand.