User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey viver, how about we hijack this thread and turn it more positive: "How are you adapting to the 21 point system?" Are you trying different strategies and tactics - and what has been successful for you. What has changed for you in terms of game play that is noticeably different from the OSS. What thoughts do you have to help players going through the conversion process to be successful in their adjustment. In this hijacked thread - don't speculate or give opinions. Give us your real on-court experience with the NSS. Just don't whine about the change.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I ahve been playing doubles using the NSS for 3 sessions (2 hrs each). Here are my opinions:

1) Games are boviously much faster
    2) need to make much less mistakes (i have lost a few games due to my and my partner's own unforced errors
    3) Need to serve very well
    4) less tiring which means you will not need to conserve as much energy
    5) dont make mistakes
    6) dont make mistakes...you get the point

bchaiyow

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lets face it.. In Mens Doubles, endurance and stamina hasn't been of as much focus as in singles even with OSS. So Personally I think mens double will not get significantly more agressive with NSS. I think most current MD players tried to get the sustained attack to win points under OSS, and this will continue with NSS..

The major effect will be that service and return of service (these two shots).. Which has been extremely important in MD when OSS was used.. Will be taken to a new extreme of importance with NSS.. Adding a greater element of chance and luck in the games..(line-calls and the netcord will have a bigger impact on the outcome)

I think doubles hurts even more than singles by NSS.. But We´ll have to live with it for now, in most tournaments ...

And it's not all bad...
    For the fans of the lesser talented players, this can be a good thing, as a better player will more often loose to a lesser player given the skill difference isn't too huge due to the much shorter games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NSS matters. Just look at what Yao Jie did to Zhang Ning during the MVP Cup. Under the old scoring system, Yao Jie has a hard time getting a single point against Zhang Ning. In my own experience, players we usually and easily beat under the old scoring system had closer games with us. Those whom we defeat by scores of 15-2 or 15-3 before have scores like 21-15 or 21-17.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by badrad
    Hey viver, how about we hijack this thread and turn it more positive: "How are you adapting to the 21 point system?" Are you trying different strategies and tactics - and what has been successful for you. What has changed for you in terms of game play that is noticeably different from the OSS. What thoughts do you have to help players going through the conversion process to be successful in their adjustment. In this hijacked thread - don't speculate or give opinions. Give us your real on-court experience with the NSS. Just don't whine about the change.
    Hmm, never had the idea to hijack the thread. I only have issues with people telling me that I must play the 21x3, because Gunalan ordered so.

So far I do not have any intention adopting to the 21x3 system. In the past as part of training we have played the 15x3 rally scoring (at that time we called it ping-pong scoring form). We were not trained under this system, so when playing against each other we have not changed the way we usually play.

However I found that the tactics I usually used in 15x3 server scoring is harder to apply on guys that are fast with powerful smashes. I think in my case, I would need to improve my defence ability to play this type of game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by viver
    Hmm, never had the idea to hijack the thread. I only have issues with people telling me that I must play the 21x3, because Gunalan ordered so.

So far I do not have any intention adopting to the 21x3 system. In the past as part of training we have played the 15x3 rally scoring (at that time we called it ping-pong scoring form). We were not trained under this system, so when playing against each other we have not changed the way we usually play.

However I found that the tactics I usually used in 15x3 server scoring is harder to apply on guys that are fast with powerful smashes. I think in my case, I would need to improve my defence ability to play this type of game.
    A question for you.

Would you change your tactic now when you are receiving serve in the 3X21?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chai
    A question for you.

Would you change your tactic now when you are receiving serve in the 3X21?
    Hmm, anything you noticed in the 21x3 that changes the receiver's attitude to the serve?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well, putting away a short serve gets you a point these days...wich makes me more agressive on the serve return.

or do a nice fake-return, there are soem really fancy ones to practise.

also when you're up 20-18 or lwoer you can reálly put pressure on the server.
    I was playing with my dad against two people, a lady on the other side was servign towards me. we where up 20-17. I stepped on the front line, and bend over until I almost reached the tape (i'm tall). I was bracing for a flick. but she didn't dare, she served short and i got us an immediate advantage.
    the mere fact I stood to receive liek that threw her of focus

normally i'm a nice guy though and I did it with a smiley on my face.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jerby
    I stepped on the front line
    Ahem. You do realise that touching the service court boundary lines before the serve is made is a fault, don't you?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CWB001
    Ahem. You do realise that touching the service court boundary lines before the serve is made is a fault, don't you?
    rephrase: I stood against the line.

happy now? it was a friendly match, and I decided to make a bit fun...who faults his friends for touching the line?

(even so, at that perticular club I coudl get away with just about anything..drive serves, S-serves, steppign on lines, people don't really know all the rules there...but it's ok, everybody's friendly there)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jerby
    rephrase: I stood against the line.

happy now? it was a friendly match, and I decided to make a bit fun...who faults his friends for touching the line?

(even so, at that perticular club I coudl get away with just about anything..drive serves, S-serves, steppign on lines, people don't really know all the rules there...but it's ok, everybody's friendly there)
    or maybe they think you're a noob and forgiving all your mistakes so to be nice to you
    Last edited by cooler; 07-31-2006 at 12:10 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

stop, you're tempting me to boast

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm, anything you noticed in the 21x3 that changes the receiver's attitude to the serve?
    We could study a very specific and particular state of the game, i.e you are 1set up and you are leading 14-13, in comparing to you are leading 20-19; and you are the receiver. Only one point to win the game in both systems!

Would you think the mental approach, and the choice of shots (textbook tactic) of the receiver is different between the two systems?

Personally I think the mental approach will be different for the receiver and the choice of shots too. The receiver would know the server is having more pressure to serve at 19-20 than at 13-14. One of the obvious tactic will be to length the rally by the receiver and using good placement of shots in attempt to make the server to commit forced or unforced error.

Can this particular state apply to all other states of the game? Is it why the game is getting longer in the 3X21 at the top level?

P.S It is good to see Lin Dan vs Lee Chong Wei matches Comparing their games in All England, Malaysia Open, Taiwan Open, and Macao Open.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Nss 21

Hi,
    U are right. This NSS 21 needs a faster pace. Less mistakes and which in turn means accuracy n near to perfection of strokes. Mistakes mean donation of points to yr opponents. This new system is totally different from the 15 points system, where fitness n endurance plays a very critical part.
    Lee
    Quote Originally Posted by bchaiyow
    I ahve been playing doubles using the NSS for 3 sessions (2 hrs each). Here are my opinions:

1) Games are boviously much faster
    2) need to make much less mistakes (i have lost a few games due to my and my partner's own unforced errors
    3) Need to serve very well
    4) less tiring which means you will not need to conserve as much energy
    5) dont make mistakes
    6) dont make mistakes...you get the point

bchaiyow

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would you think the mental approach, and the choice of shots (textbook tactic) of the receiver is different between the two systems?

Personally I think the mental approach will be different for the receiver and the choice of shots too. The receiver would know the server is having more pressure to serve at 19-20 than at 13-14. One of the obvious tactic will be to length the rally by the receiver and using good placement of shots in attempt to make the server to commit forced or unforced error.

Can this particular state apply to all other states of the game? Is it why the game is getting longer in the 3X21 at the top level?

P.S It is good to see Lin Dan vs Lee Chong Wei matches Comparing their games in All England, Malaysia Open, Taiwan Open, and Macao Open.
    I don't think the receiver's approach would change. Personally I am more inclined towards the player's personality - some are more willing to take risks.

As games getting longer than expected, is maybe the players abilities. I don't have information about other matches, but the long matches appear to be between same contestants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think the receiver's approach would change. Personally I am more inclined towards the player's personality - some are more willing to take risks.

As games getting longer than expected, is maybe the players abilities. I don't have information about other matches, but the long matches appear to be between same contestants.
    Am I right to say that you believe that there is no tactical change for the receiver, however the server will have to raise the level of his defensive skills.

The implication here is that if the 3X21 raises the general level of defensive skills of the players, and the effect will (If both side have good defensive skills) be the longer rally in general.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Am I right to say that you believe that there is no tactical change for the receiver, however the server will have to raise the level of his defensive skills.

The implication here is that if the 3X21 raises the general level of defensive skills of the players, and the effect will (If both side have good defensive skills) be the longer rally in general.
    I don't think any tactical changes for the receiver - in 15x3 the receiver regains the serve or lose a point; in 21x3 regains the service and but also wins a point in the process.

Whether players will adop a more consistent approach or not, I don't know. Personally I am expecting to see more aggressive players to come.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast