User Tag List

Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bad_lah View Post
    Be careful with what you say. Nicky didn't get first-class honor unless he thinks that third-class = first-class honor. If you want to prove sth like that, you should prove it yourself rather than listening to a liar.
    I don't know what you've got against Nicky personally, but you are a new member and this is only your first post and you're saying such things. Accusing someone of being a liar is a serious matter and I hope you refrain from it.

That post from me was dated in Dec 2006, a year and a half ago. In any case I did not say Nicky gave me the information himself and you should not jump at conclusions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loh View Post
    I don't know what you've got against Nicky personally, but you are a new member and this is only your first post and you're saying such things. Accusing someone of being a liar is a serious matter and I hope you refrain from it.

That post from me was dated in Dec 2006, a year and a half ago. In any case I did not say Nicky gave me the information himself and you should not jump at conclusions.
    Also be careful when you read. I didn't say Nicky is a liar. The one that originates the lie is the liar. This is not a personal attack. It's simply the truth and it's nonsense to say 1 or 2 years ago. You shouldn't help to propagate the lie unless you are sure about what you are saying.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bad_lah, unless you have some facts to share, take it to Private Messaging (PM) with Loh.

Casting aspersions is different from providing details for a matter of discussion. You've put the parties involved on the defensive at the very start.

-dave
    Last edited by wood_22_chuck; 07-24-2008 at 06:31 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In Singapore Open, I met Nguyen's coach..forgot his name but spoke to me some Indonesian....I know last time he was sparring with Ronald and Kendrik....it took a while for Asep ( Kendrik and RS' coach) to convince SBA to let Nguyen train/spar in Singapore.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Another article on Nguyen Tien Minh..

..is his coach, Nguyen Anh Hoang??..

Btw, here's an interesting article (might be an old news) on Nguyen Tien Minh & the struggles he (as well as the VBF) has to go through to receive quality coaches.

http://www.thanhniennews.com/sports/...5&newsid=38734
    ================================================== =======
    Vietnamese badminton struggles to find good coaches

Nguyen Tien Minh, one of two Vietnamese badminton stars who have qualified for the Beijing Olympics in August
    Vietnam now has two outstanding badminton players Nguyen Tien Minh and Le Ngoc Nguyen Nhung who have qualified for the Beijing Olympics in August.

Yet, there is still concern about the future of Vietnamese badminton as there is no one to replace the two stars when they retire.

Worse still, critics say the training of junior players is not what is should be.

There are not enough qualified instructors and no long-term training plan.

Hiring from outside

Five years back when the 22nd Southeast Asian (SEA) Games took place in Vietnam in 2003, Vietnamese badminton managers had ambitious dreams.

To take the sport to the next level, they invited Chinese instructor Yan Shi Qiang to coach both the men’s and women’s teams, and the decision paid off.

For the first time ever, the women’s team won a bronze medal at the SEA Games.

Qiang focused his coaching efforts on Minh and Nhung and they continued to improve markedly.

The Chinese instructor was employed by the Ho Chi Minh City Department of Sports from 2002-2004, but eventually left owing to disputes with leaders at the Vietnam Badminton Federation (VBF).

Lack of quality instructors

VBF officials have long wanted to find a good instructor for Minh and Nhung to help them further improve their abilities and play at higher-level competitions like the Satellite, Challenger, Open and Super Series.

They believe there are just a few good local instructors and even the best, they say, are far from world-class.

And the state of youth training is even more of a concern, according to officials.

A lack of qualified instructors means that even with good training plans, teams are unable to carry out their goals.

Regional badminton experts say they are surprised to see the level at which Vietnamese athletes perform.

Most players, they say, lack even the most basic techniques.

The current coach of Vietnam’s national badminton team Nguyen The Huy said, “It takes a lot of time to help the young players with techniques and strategies. They are gifted players, but they didn’t have a good start when they began to learn to play badminton. It is a thorny problem for Vietnamese badminton.”

Financial hindrances

Vietnamese badminton managers know their training skills are not up to par, but they are also acutely aware of the dearth of good instructors.

Yet to hire skilled foreign coaches would require much more funding than is currently available for the sport, they said.

Last year, the HCMC Badminton Department invited former world number one Supianto from Indonesia to come and train Tien Minh.

The Indonesian accepted the invitation but asked for a monthly salary of US$4,500, which was more than the city department could afford, and so the plan came to an end.

A few years ago, Vietnam sent players to Indonesia for short-term training as an alternative.

Instructors there suggested Vietnam develop better long-term plans and suggested it would be a better option than the short-term trips.

When Minh and Nhung won places at the Beijing Olympics, the VBF again invited Chinese coach Qiang to instruct the athletes.

However, many speculate that Qiang’s return is just a temporary plan and say Vietnamese badminton needs a bigger overhaul including quality instructors and a long-term vision.

Additionally, the sport needs to focus on other areas besides just training Minh and Nhung, say critics.

By training young players well, it will ensure there is a new generation of professional athletes to replace Minh and Nhung when they retire.

BADMINTON LEADERS SPEAK OUT

■ VBF Secretary Le Thanh Sang said, “Local instructors are not excellent. They can’t train professional players so it’s necessary to invite foreign instructors. We will find good instructors for the national team; but we haven’t been able to find one yet because good instructors don’t want to come to Vietnam. Also, in the future, we will find foreign instructors to help local instructors with the coaching.”

■ Current national badminton team head coach Nguyen The Huy said, “It’s important to employ foreign instructors. Vietnamese players and instructors can learn from them. Chinese instructor Yan Shi Qiang is the best instructor Vietnam has employed, I think. He helped Tien Minh improve a lot and reach his current ranking in the world. I also learned a lot from him when I worked with him at HCMC team and the national team.”

Reported by Le Quang
    Last edited by ctjcad; 07-24-2008 at 07:58 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It should be Joko Suprianto........

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice article.

I think it's crazy how Joko Suprianto demanded a monthly salary of $4,500 to train the players. I doubt it that he even made close to that amount at PBSI.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bad_fanatic View Post
    Nice article.

I think it's crazy how Joko Suprianto demanded a monthly salary of $4,500 to train the players. I doubt it that he even made close to that amount at PBSI.
    It is quite standard.....you will be shocked if you know how much Li Mao, Park Jo Bong, Rexy , etc got paid......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by huangkwokhau View Post
    It is quite standard.....you will be shocked if you know how much Li Mao, Park Jo Bong, Rexy , etc got paid......
    I wouldn't doubt that Li Mao, Park Jo Bong and Rexy get paid handsomely for their work. However, look at the country that they currently reside in. The countries are either a badminton nation or one that's very developed.

Vietnam is a third world country where the resident find it hard enough to find end meet so you can't really compare it with the other advance country.

The average house hold income is less then $1,000 a year. How are they going to be able to afford to pay a coach $4,500 a month.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bad_fanatic View Post
    I wouldn't doubt that Li Mao, Park Jo Bong and Rexy get paid handsomely for their work. However, look at the country that they currently reside in. The countries are either a badminton nation or one that's very developed.

Vietnam is a third world country where the resident find it hard enough to find end meet so you can't really compare it with the other advance country.

The average house hold income is less then $1,000 a year. How are they going to be able to afford to pay a coach $4,500 a month.
    You are correct....in this case...they should not hire Joko Suprianto..Vietnam should hire a lower standard than Joko..otherwise it will be tough for Joko to accept, lets say US$ 1000 a month where he may earn more in Indonesia alone...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Sports stars laud families for support

Viet Nam News

Xuất bản lúc: 13:55 29/07/2008

VietNamNet Bridge – From relative obscurity, Nguyen Tien Minh has reached the dizzy heights of becoming an Olympian in just four short years. And when he takes part in next month's Beijing Olympic Games, he will be the first Vietnamese badminton player ever to do so.

Nguyen Tien Minh.

Aside from his considerable talent, Minh is the first to admit that the support of his family has been pivotal to his success.

When Minh was first introduced to badminton, his family thought it would be a good way for him to keep fit. Gradually, however, he began to really take to the game.

Huynh Ngoc Lien, vice chairperson of the Badminton Association of HCM City, said: "Even with the support of the Viet Nam Badminton Federation, if it wasn't for the assistance Minh's family's has given him, Vietnamese badminton wouldn't have been as proud as it is today."

And we're not just talking about emotional support; since the start of this year, Minh's parents have covered the total cost of his training in Singapore. In fact, they have sponsored his whole career.

The federation, meanwhile, has done its best to enter Minh in as many foreign tournaments as possible so he can gain international experience and increase his world rankings.

After winning the Robot Viet Nam Challenge tournament in HCM City recently, Minh moved up three places in the International Badminton Federation's rankings to No 21.

Minh, who triumphed in the Asian satellite tournament two years ago in HCM City, also reached the quarter-finals of the US Open Badminton Tournament, the main round of the Djarum Indonesia Open Super Series, the Aviva Singapore Open, the Singapore Open Super Series and the Proton Malaysia Open.

Minh is not the only rising star who owes a big debt to his family. Tennis star Nguyen Thuy Dung was also lucky to have doting and wealthy parents.

Dung's mother Dao Le Thuy, a successful business-women, said: "When Dung was 12 years old she began playing tennis. Seeing my daughter's passion, I wished with all my heart for Dung to become a professional tennis player."

Dung, who underwent long-term training at the Vicbaden tennis institute in Los Angeles, which costs a staggering US$8,000 a month, is currently training in Thailand - at her parent's expense. Dung plans to spend a year in Thailand, and her parents have given her VND1.5 billion (nearly $90,000) living expenses.

In early August she will compete at the Indonesia Open and then return to Thailand to play three events there.

Thuy said: "I have got three children but only Dung has taken up tennis. She is passionate about the game. We will make this passion bloom."

Thuy's dream is that her daughter will one day make the top 200-300 in the world.

"[Vietnamese] tennis needs a star. If Dung does well internationally, she will help tennis develop back home," she said.

Dung already achieved international acclaim on the junior circuit by winning the women's doubles and coming runner-up at the World Tennis Championship for U-18s four years ago in Vietnam.

She also played outstandingly to win the women's singles at the National Tennis Championship last year.

Recently, Dung, 21, won a bronze medal at the famous ITF Women's Circuit held in Thailand in May - the first time a female Vietnamese tennis player has done so well internationally.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hi all,
    was searching some information about NTM after reading some report about his bitter lost in olympics recently. suprisingly, as i expected to see some vietnamese article or forum in the 1st few lines in google search, i found this forum... lol, dun noe that NTM is so popular in singapore.

basically after his shock of losing the match to rival lower 21 steps in ranking, he was quite disappointed. he explained that he was all of sudden below his usual competence, that leaded to his failure. but according to the reporter (tuoitre newspaper, the number one news publisher in Vietnam), the reason may lie on different story. 2 years ago, there was little hope that NTM could excel and improve his ranking to qualify for the top 50, mainly because of financial constraints, shortage of managers, coaches and lack of proper support from goverment. But things change when there good coach and and manager met talent player NTM and consequently, there was big jump in result. sadly, the corporation was increasingly cracking due to misunderstanding and rumors. eventually, his lately competition was without coach, including olympics....

he revealed that he would like to return to vietnam as fast as he could, calm down and talk to family and friends to seek for advices. as 25 years old, he plans to switch to studying again so that his future career could be stable. just feel sad for him as he's really a talent, but was so unlucky...

anw, think singapore should attract more vietnamese sports talents as it's a good win-win investment. especially for athletes, they are supported financially whereas they could not get enough in Vietnam

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for sharing. That is a heart-breaking story indeed. Hope he finds the support he needs in Vietnam, Singapore, and even in the US. I understand that his coach and Howard Bach's Dad were teammate once. Hopefully something can be worked out!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A link to an interview after his loss at Beijing. There are two other videos of him if you look in the lower right panel with a list of videos.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...ien+minh&vt=lf

:edit: video may take a bit to load, so be patient. =D

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Happy Birthday, Nguyen Tien Minh
    Here's wishing you greater success ahead!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldhand View Post
    Happy Birthday, Nguyen Tien Minh
    Here's wishing you greater success ahead!
    yep, happy birthday to him.
    but guess what, tomorrow is a BIG day for me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Happy Birthday.Mirai e mukatte!
    From Malaysia,I wish you luck.

And George, wish you luck for your big day too.

Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast