Washington High needs a coach... Again!

Discussion in 'USA West' started by Nightamose, Jul 17, 2006.

1. Nightamose

Nightamose Regular Member

Student
    Hello, My name is Eric Tung and I'm going to be a Junior at Washington High School.

Well, it looks like Washington High School is in need of another coach for badminton. Our last coach left for his own personal reasons. I'm sure the team is partly to blame. Apparently, we're going to need another coach, otherwise we're most likely not going to have a badminton season.

Now, our school has been defeated over and over again. I'm just going to be truthful, we haven't won a game in the last season. Our badminton team is treated as a joke and many of our players are starting to believe it as well. Our team is the underdog team of the entire district.

There are still highly capable players with good potential. Unfortunately, many of them are pushed up into higher positions because we don't have players that can play at those higher positions. We need to improve all of our players to fill all the gaps.

We aren't expecting a miracle. All we want progress. Washington High School needs a coach that can organize its players. We need discipline.

The season starts in next February, so if anyone's interested, there's a lot of time to consider.

Since Washington High is closed for the summer, I don't actually have any information for anyone interested, but I will when the school year starts in August-September.

If anyone is interested, please contact me at

Email: Nightamose@gmail.com
    AIM: Nightamose
    Cell: 1-510-825-9332

Here's the school's contact info, although the school will be CLOSED, so there's probably no way to contact them until school is back in session.

38442 Fremont Blvd.
    Fremont, CA 94536
    Phone: (510) 505-7300
    Fax: (510) 794-8437

Oh, by the way, I'm pretty new to this forum and all, so I'm really bad at asking for coaches and stuff like that.

2. Rainofserenity

Rainofserenity Regular Member

oh.. that is sad.. didn't they ask for one last year? :[.. what is the age requirement.. i might be able to get hold of some coaches for you guys.

3. Nightamose

Student
    Yes we did, actually. In fact, I think we've asked for one every year since 2002...
    As for the age requirement, I'm not sure. The school is currently closed, so I can't ask them.

Although I'm pretty sure it's 21.

4. Michael-Lam

Michael-Lam Regular Member

Student / Badminton Coach
    well sounds like you need the coach carter of badminton

5. FremontJFKGirl

FremontJFKGirl Regular Member

Sales Associate
    I registered to the forum just so I could respond to this.

You guys probably switch coaches more than we (Kennedy) do!

You guys didn't win a single game? I thought I heard your last coach say you beat American in one game.

You're going to be a junior next year? So you've been on the team for a year or two, right? Then you should know about the team's training. What do you guys do? I just wanted to know if you train harder than us. :(

How come I never see Washington in ANY local tournaments? Except for that one guy, your singles #1 last year.

Good luck finding a coach this year.

6. Nightamose

Student
    Our team's training? Seeing as how there's no secrets you could possibly steal, we personally don't even have practice. I mean, we do train footwork, but we never really got farther than that.

Each of the coaches I knew didn't train us for much. Varsity got some private coaching sessions, but everyone else was left to fend for themselves.

We may or may not have beaten American, I don't remember.

None of us at Washington hear about special events either. So we're pretty much in the dark and no one really cares or is too busy to look around.

As for Guang... Guang's an incredible person.

7. Break-My-String

Break-My-String Regular Member

Is the high school willing to accept coaches "outside"

(1) of WA state, or even
    (2) outside of USA (ie/ from British Columbia, Canada :confused: )

Cheers!

8. Rainofserenity

You know.. for highschool badminton.. It's not about the coach's effort. They can only do so much for the team.. IT's more about us as an individual. It's how much you want it yourself. When you have enough passion, you'll automatically train on your own and become better. It's what highschool lack of. Most of us, just think that because the coach is good, the team is good. They are good, because the coach provides us with motivation. We can do it on our own! If you want to make it happen, get together with your team and starts playing more! ask seniors, people from outside, Learn from people. And you can still improve a whole lot! :D

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    well said Rainofserenity. i do have to disagree slightly though, it is really effort on both sides. the individual's dedication as well as the coaches guidance.

i have to say though that i have seen too many high school badminton players who are either not serious with their badminton training, or they have focus on the wrong things. there have been way too many high school players who can do the coolest trick shots but yet cannot clear or drive properly. if they had spent their time practicing the basics instead of practicing the trickeries, they would've been much better players.

on the other hands, i do have seen many HS school players who are very dedicated and play excellent badminton. sadly though, they are rare to find.

10. Rainofserenity

hahaha. i don't even know what i'm talking about. :p. But what you said is true. :D. that's why.. if they are brave enough to ask people.. They'll learn a thing or two. Just got from my personal experiences. :D

11. FremontJFKGirl

Sales Associate
    You guys need a good coach who... knows how to coach. Haha. Your team needs to put in effort to train. Our coach knew that a lot of people on our team just played badminton for fun, but never trained. So she forced us to condition and work on footwork a lot, along with constant drilling. THEN we were allowed to play games.

Your coaches must realize that your Junior Varsity IS the future of your team. So both JV and Varsity need to get coaching lessons.

Just dedicate yourself to constant playing during your freetime and believe me, your skills will improve with time.

12. Nightamose

Student
    Well, that's the problem with our coaches in the last couple years. Nobody respected our coaches and no one even bothered practicing outside of school practice.

No one but a small handful of us, which is why I've posted here.

Also, our previous coaches had good intentions, but they didn't really know too much about what they were doing. I remember doing 3 hours of footwork training every day...
    We never got past that because no one ever listened to him.

And yeah, I personally got coaching from UBC, my dad, and actually managed some personal coaching sessions from our coach before he left, but that was relatively rare since I couldn't really afford coaching for a long time, my dad lives in Arizona, and our coach is gone now.

13. FremontJFKGirl

Sales Associate
    I don't know how to help you find a coach, but tell your team to go to ICC and UBC, along with all the other gyms CONSTANTLY. As for you, just find a hitting partner and go hit as much as you can.

And you need to put some discipline into your team. Our coach this year is probably as tough as the coaches at the other schools.

14. FremontJFKGirl

Sales Associate
    Also, the reason your coaches put so much emphasis on footwork is because footwork is extremely important. You gotta move your feet before you can move your arm. Everybody knows this. So your coaches were right in teaching you a lot of footwork, but it's not only footwork. You have to drill constantly to get your shots down so that when you play games, the shots will come to you easily because you're used to doing it. So your team must work on correct form as well!

15. Rainofserenity

heyo! if you guys don't mind, i can drop by a couple times depending on my schedule for spring, i would help you guys. But yea, nothing comes free, if you want to be better, there are lots to pay ( energy and devotion). and training won't be easy. But i understand how you guys feel. I've been there before too. Hopefully there will be a coach for you guys, and i'll come by and help out as much as possible. :].:p . NOW, stressless and be cheerful guys! :D it's a gay world! :D

16. Nightamose

Student
    I know footwork is important, although, our coach was devoting the ENTIRE year to footwork to people who don't do it anyway.

Oh and no one on my team listens to me either. I play whenever I can, although the majority, but not all of my team, plays next to never.

17. slvrdrgn123

slvrdrgn123 Regular Member

Improving what little skills I have
    Don't want to sound rude or anything, but don't you guys have team captains to keep everyone organized and stuff?

18. hybridragon

hybridragon Regular Member

Student
    I'm just wondering then, why are they even on the team? If they don't have commitment, why do they keep on going to practice?
    --------------

Personally, I believe a way to get other people behind you is to set an example yourself. Make yourself the benchmark for everyone to aim for. If you've recieved training at UBC, why not pass on some tips? Get the team together to play at UBC to have fun. Seems like one problem the team has is lack of commitment and seeing how fun the sport naturally is. Get them interested, and it might be a way to get things started.

19. tcw2612

tcw2612 Regular Member

Hi,

I happened to be the last badminton coach Fremont Washington High School, spring 2006. Actually this is how I see the factors should be alligned : Students - Parents - Schools - Coach - League. With the Students being the Main factor.

Washington issue is for sure THE SCHOOLS factor. Well, I can not name names but since Badminton is under Athletic department- so it was or still is the Athletic Director. I believe right now Mike is the AD. He used to be the Coach for boys Basketball.

The Students and Parents were great. I have great expectation to Eric's group. The freshmen, sophomores and Juniors. Eric was right I resigned for personal reason. For sure it is not because of the students or parents. Little bit may be but it is something that I can take care off.

The Coach ? The coach(me) was a new coach. He knows how to play
    badminton correctly and how to teach students to be a good player. I have to admit that the Schools shut me down.

The League ? The league was great until the end of the season. There is no
    such thing in tournaments that you have to play at least 3-5 times within 5 hours. Not in Indonesia at least, where I am from. How can you expect your
    students can give you the best ?? And one of the senior coach from other school answer was : " It has been like this, and so far it is ok".
    What can I say ?

For any body that kindly enough to apply this position, FYI -
    1. You will be the only Head Coach. This is a paid Job. For Head Coach only.
    Yes you can have assistant9s) but it comes out from your pocket.
    2. You will have about 60+ students and 12 badminton courts
    3. You will have to deal with (sorry) messed up Main Gym reservation
    4. This school does not favour Badminton enough to make the students
    motivated.
    5. Only 4 Main courts are actually in High School Standards for Matches
    6. Washington perhaps is the only school in MVAL(Mission Valey Athletic
    League) that the students have to pay for almost everything. Uniforms,
    transportation, shuttlecocks.

I wish I can stay longer guys.

For more information please post your replies.

thanks,

Ex-Badminton Head Coach Fremont Washington High School - CA

20. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    i feel your pain, tcw. i coached at a high school in the haal (hayward area athletic league) for 10 years, and as much as we coaches want everything to run smooth, it's extremely hard to do this. there's only so much we coaches can do.

most of the problems come from the school's lack of support for badminton, and lack of real interest in the welfare of the sport from athletic directors & other league coaches. trying to get things changed through the system of proper channels is frustrating. it can take years to get something absolutely necessary, like nets without holes and enough shuttlecocks to last the whole season.

my advice to potential new coaches in the public school system is for them to ask the school how much support will they get. "will this school provide me the necessary equipment, uniforms, and gym time?"

in the private school sector the current problem is finding real badminton coaches. the money and support is overwhelming. now if we could only find more qualified badminton coaches...