emotional strength

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by robc06, Jul 18, 2006.

1. robc06

robc06 Regular Member

Editor
    This is a interesting topic, something which I have had to work on and still do.

It's difficult, and at times I have dropped a set due to thinking about relationship problems.

How do you overcome troubled emotions to go and play your best game?

Does it come back down to inner strength, strong mind, inner self, self beleif or?

2. Russki Bear

Russki Bear Regular Member

IT
    Hey Rob,

Try some meditative techniques. Try to have a still mind when waiting for the serve, for example.
    By Still I mean completely and utterly clear, not even the thought that it is meant to be still. It isn't always easy to do, especially in situations where your emotions are a bit amplified, but it might help anyway as it will give you something else to focus on until the shuttle takes focus in play.

A method that can help - try to hear each and every sound that reaches your ears equally - don't let your brain filter out background noises and whatnot - treat it all as noise so nothing takes precedence. Focusing on that might be easier than simply attempting to have a clear mind. Essentially you are reducing the emotional reaction you have to the audio stimuli present to as little as possible.

Or you can focus on the court - picture it in your mind and see yourself play the shots and focus on that. That is less effective IMO as it still provides an emotional focus, but it is better than thinking about your troubles, no?

Russki Bear

#2 Russki Bear, Jul 18, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2006
  3. Russki Bear

Russki Bear Regular Member

IT
    Hey Rob,

I thought you were asking...but that is what I would do :)

4. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

Here's what to do:

- Set up a mixed doubles match against your ex
    - Smash as hard as possible at her every chance that you get
    - Blatantly check out your new partner between every rally

5. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

Sounds like you have experience!

6. GunBlade008

GunBlade008 Regular Member

Student, Retail.
    relationship troubles can affect a game, but when you play the game, play to win, for yourself and for your partner. Nothing else should matter except winning the rally, nothing else should be on your mind unless it is badminton related. So if you WANT to win, then troubles, thoughts, etc will disappear...until you're done playing badminton that is.

7. winstonchan

winstonchan Regular Member

CBO (Chief Babysitting Officer)
    Believe it or not, I pack my bag and head for the badminton court when I'm emotionally troubled, not necessary relationship, anything.

Badminton is like alcohol or morphene, something that makes you forget about bad feeling for awhile. And sometime since I want to forget about those bad feeling so much that I can concentrate to play better than my usual standard. :confused:

8. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

physical activity in general for me does the trick. anything to bust out a cramp or induce vomiting or gagging. Makes me feel way better when bad stuff is happening in my life... gotta love the endorphins!