any techniques to gain accuracy?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by shining_dragon, Jul 19, 2006.

1. shining_dragon

shining_dragon Regular Member

do you have any techniques to gain my accuracy of hitting the shuttlecock because sometimes when it's my turn to hit it, it misses so I frequently loose the point.

2. quik_silver

quik_silver Regular Member

Analyst
    Practice is what you need. Ask your friend or partner to do some clearing with you. One of the good ways to practice accuracy.

3. Casper

Casper Regular Member

Student
    My 2 cents

Practice makes perfect...see when you are doing a drill, you can tell wheather you are accurate or not. For example, if you are doing a net drill practicing drop shot. It is pretty obvious if the drop shot is over the service line on the other side, you miust be hitting too hard. Some idea for the rest of the shot, adjust and practice and more practice. So you can hit where you are actually aiming at. If you have a problem telling/judging wheather you are accurate or not...use something (to make it visilble.) like a tubes of bird to mark the location where you want to hit. That's all there is! Have fun!

4. GET^DOWN

GET^DOWN New Member

just like Casper said practice makes perfect... and try praticing half court with your friends, it builds up speed & accuracy with your shot

5. mandm

mandm Regular Member

while above is true that Practice makes you perfect, but you are not trying to achieve perfection yet, your problem is that 'you are missing the bird' this usually happens when u incorrcetly position yourself for smash, you need to study some videos on how to position your boday/head to make a smash or return, once you get your boday posotion right you will have least chance of missing the bird and only then you can paractice to acheive perfection, remeber, like any recquet game your body position plays very imporatnt role on what u can or can not achieve...........
    trsut above helps

6. Casper

Casper Regular Member

Student
    My bad

Sorry that was my bad..i didn't read the whole post. Totally agree with Mandm..If you are missing the bird, definitely you need to look at your positioning (footwork) and your concentration as well (do you look at the bird all the time or you take your eyes off the bird (at the wrong time) and lose it in between?). maybe get a friend to look at you play and point out your mistake too..that will help. Keep trying!

7. shining_dragon

shining_dragon Regular Member

even in normal hitting, i always miss the shuttlecock. Either I miss it or the shuttle hits in the steel part of my racket. :crying::crying:

8. Monster

Monster Regular Member

I think it is fundamentally poor timing which can be a result of not having the correct instinct. I have a friend who is starting to play badminton. He also has the same problem like you. I told him he just need to have the right instinct which I am sure can be acquired over time through practise. As you advance, most of the time you don't even need to look at the bird the instant when you are about to hit it because you have acquired that instinct. You'd rather look at where your opponent is standing.

A swimmer learning to swim also may have coordination difficulty because he hasn't got the feel of when to kick his/her legs and when to sweep his/her hands/arms. You'll get there !

9. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

the bird will always go where the racket points when contact is made if hitting down. if hitting up same idea but u have to gauge depth and height.

10. mandm

mandm Regular Member

correct bird will always go where the racket points when contact is made, BUT the guy did not report the problem with hitting, it was more like MISSING......

#10 mandm, Jul 22, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2006
  11. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    calm your nerve. relax before you hit it. try hang the shuttle and practice hitting it.
    rgds

12. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    You can try using the highest tension you can handle, to get better accuracy.

13. wing-omega5-0

wing-omega5-0 Regular Member

Student(uni)
    i think it'd be better to be working on ur skill rather than ur racket....

i go to drop-ins at the community centre on mondays,wednesdays, and fridays. after drop-ins, i take a bird and stand approximately the length from the service line to the baseline away from a basketball net. i then start doing underhand serves net and dont stop until i get 10 in.

if u can do that consistently, ur wrist should be able to control where the bird goes at any time. due to that, i'm able to turn my wrist during games on overhead strokes so that it goes right down the line. however, i'm still unable judge the distance 100% of the time so often the bird will land out or around the doubles service line. the only time i can get a perfect shot on the baseline is on lifts.

long story short, pop the bird into basketball nets =D

14. yumaoqiu

yumaoqiu New Member

I think the reason is you can not control the "hitting shuttle point". There are two kinds speed that will influence your accuracy. One is the shuttle's speed, the other is your racquet speed. You must to judge the speed of the shuttle and adjust the beginning time to move your racquet. Of course, this needs a lot practice.

15. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

Well, that is assuming that at the contact point the racquet face is moving parallel to its normal. This may not be the case for heavily sliced shots.

Now, this one good lesson I onced received from a coach was to pay attention to how the trajectory of the bird varied to changes in elbow position, wrist position, grip, contact angle, racquet trajectory, racquet velocity, etc. By hitting a sufficient number of repetition of a shot, it then became possible to understand the orders of magnitude of the effects of imperfections in your stroke.

To the original poster, it seems that your problem is one that is more elementary than that. It appears that your problem is simply that of poorly developed hand-eye coordination and an grossly ungrooved stroke. Luckily, all you need to do is go out and hit lots and lots of shots, and that ability will come with practice. So don't worry too much about the intricacies of technique just yet, but rather just go out and hit!

16. rlaurel_7

rlaurel_7 Regular Member

Student
    you can do to increase your accuracy is use your free hand to aim if your are a right hander use your left to aim your hand sight set to the shuttle. your free hand will also increase your balance so you can excute whatever shot with ease... make your racket point at the shuttle.. this is how i was thought by my coach.. im sure other coaches will say the same

Good luck

17. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    just REMEMBER your ideal point of contact

18. morewood

morewood Regular Member

What are you missing? Everything? Clears? Smashes? Drops? Pickups? Often if its one type of shot theres a problem with your technique whilst under preasure so regardless of practice you are not clearing the bad habit.

19. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    Make sure you hit with your racquet's 'sweet spot', or tha middle area of your racquet. When you hit the shuttle at this area, the 'sound' that comes out usually sounds better and stronger. And of course, your shuttle is less prone to going off target.

Mark the shuttle's cork end with some marker pen, and clear with that shuttle. After that, check the marking left by the shuttle's end, you can tell which part of the racquet face you hit the shuttle. Of course, this works only for light-coloured stringed racquets, best would be white.

20. morewood

morewood Regular Member

It also makes quite a difference to the flight of a shuttle believe it or not, playing in a hall that was predominantly yellow many years ago we used to blacken our feather heads, used to alter the flight length by upto half a meter.