Difference between Defensive and Offensive Racquets?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Icerabbit, Jul 19, 2006.

1. Icerabbit

Icerabbit Regular Member

Hi, i recently purchased a NS9000 Type X. Is this a defensive or offensive racquet?:confused: . Also, if i already have a lot of power in my smashes, but have

trouble with placement, which one should i used? Finally, Wat exactly is the

difference between offensive and defensive Racquets? Your help and advice

would be greatly appreciated. THX :)

- A Newbie Badminton Player

2. hydrocyanic

hydrocyanic Regular Member

wasting my time
    racket don't define your playing style, skill and fitness

you can attack by running your player around, or have a hard smash, this is depend on you rather than racket

get a racket that fits you than you fitting your racket

oh... a direct answer for your placement problem, its more related to your skill, in an extreme case... if you smash harder than your racket, you might have timing problem, where adjustment might be easier to get another racket than to have a better skill... extreme case that is

ps. not saying bad racket would perform the same on a person, but in a selective range of racket of equivalent price/tech/whatever

hmm, add

in general, attack rackets are head heavy for a greater momentum upon impact, stiffness depends on strength and technique
    if you isolate attacking = smashing

#2 hydrocyanic, Jul 19, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2006
  3. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    rackets.

Generally offensive rackets are heavier ones. It allows you to smash with more power. Lighter rackets are more for defensive; easier to swing defensively (abt 85g below).
    rgds:D

4. wing-omega5-0

wing-omega5-0 Regular Member

Student(uni)
    to answer ur question, the ns9k-X is purely an offensive racket. i'm usually playing with my much lighter prokennex racket and there is less power but its so much easier to swing. when i switch to my ns9k-S the smash speed is almost doubled and even clears so so much faster. every single shot i hit from that point is an attack because of the speed and pressure that it puts my opponents in. however, its also a bit of a problem because i now rely on that racket to play the absolute best when using my play style.

i think the main difference between defensive and offensive rackets is the head weight and how stiff they are. i cant rly see what the special technology is in the armortec 800 series though.
    defensive= light and less stiff
    offensive= often, not always, heavier and stiff.

5. ghi72

ghi72 Regular Member

reading different specs of rackets on several websites gave me the impression that the OF/DE is more related to balance, if head heavy or head light, but contrary to this the yy NS7k/8k/9k seams to be an exeption of this rule of thumb, coz they are rated all head light.
    now you're more or less confused?? ;)

6. wing-omega5-0

wing-omega5-0 Regular Member

Student(uni)
    actually, my ns9k-S is very heavy. i'm not sure if its the head or the racket itself but i checked out my friends ns9k-S as well and it is the same. it kind of feels like a mp100 that packs alot more power.

7. jerby

jerby Regular Member

the difference in off and def lies in the factors balance and weight and stiffness

the 100% attackign racket is heavy (>89grams) head-heavy and stiff. I think a racket is 'offensive' if it posses 2/3 characteistics (head-light, heavy, stiff is doubtfull though) (head-heavy, light, stiff is definatly attacking)

the 100% defensive racket is light (<85grams) headlight and a bit more flexy (because defensive play, like lob-return's to smashes involves wrist-work, flexible shafts help there)
    again 2/3 will do for me...

because the ns9X's balance point is a mysterie too me I can't comment on that...but it's stiff, and available in 2U. so if you ahev a 2U that's aleady 2/3;) but if it's (even slightly) head-heavy a 3U is also offensive...

A Question for you: what does it matter? you already have the latest racket:p:D (joking, if you hadn't noticed;))

8. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    be careful with the term 'attacking' versus offensive. Personally i can i attack better with an head lighter racket. We all know LCW and chen hong are attacking MS players and they both use head lighter ns8k. Attacking isn't smashing alone. Also, there are many variety of smashes. Also, i know a medium-high ranking provincial jr that had switched from at700 to ns8k, his smashes are just as hard and fast with his ns8k.:( even faster than viningwolff.

#8 cooler, Jul 22, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2006
  9. jerby

jerby Regular Member

whoops, you're right...I stand corrected.

however teh same can be said for offensive...sharp controlled smashes are offensive shots..and heavy/head heavy/stiff/whatever doesn't really matter there...so you have to get a general term (and mis-use it) for 'powerrackets' be it 'offensive' or 'attacking'

cooler, you might want to look here http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=409625&posted=1#post409625 to help me out...;)

10. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    jerby, hope that u dont think i directed that post to u exclusively;) . Yes, both terms 'attacking' and 'offensive' are quite vague and shouldn't meant to be smashing stroke only. Since yonex had adopted 'offensive' to head heavy racket, it's unoffically natural to coin offensive as booming smashing;)

When opposing player netted a shuttle just a bit too high over the tape, I can easily finger power tap the shuttle down. It is an attacking shot but it required very little energy and better executed with a head light racket actually. Therefore, attacking term is better suited as a tactic in context than racket dependent.

i didnt read your attached link yet. It look interesting.

11. jerby

jerby Regular Member

no, off course not me alone..but I was one of the culprits;)

as for non-power attackign shots: net-pushes, sliced/deceptive fast drops. tehre really are 101 ways to attack...
    But marketign wise: there are a 101 strokes..so to label every top-model as a smash-racket would no be benificial for any brand...'hmmm smashing racket? meh, I only smash 50% of my overhead strokes..."

It's ok you didn't read teh link, juts more balance-point-cr*p;)