Doubles' 21 points scoring system.

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by quik_silver, Jul 20, 2006.

1. quik_silver

quik_silver Regular Member

Analyst
    Hello to all, I have been watching plenty of matches for single which were in 21-points scoring system..

But can someone tell me how does the system work out for doubles in 21, I am very confuse right now..

2. GunBlade008

GunBlade008 Regular Member

Student, Retail.
    well, generally its all the same, whoever wins the rally wins the point. also, whichever team wins the rally wins the serve too. I'm not quite sure which players gets the serve, that part still confuses me

3. Normand

Normand Regular Member

who serves?

this part is rather easy as is does not change from previously. so if you have an even number the serve goes to the right and odd to the left. where it takes some time to get used to is that you only change side (left-right) if you score a point on you're serve. if you check this link

http://www.badminton.ca/eng/inside/thelaws06serve.doc it will explain graphicly so its easier to understand.

4. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    I used the 21 rally point system on Wednesday. It's quick. In the brink of an eye, the game is over :D.

5. Normand

Normand Regular Member

I agree that the matches can be short. I have tried the new system twice now and I found that the fastest matches only lasted 8 minutes. But I also found that you must expect that the opponent will use more offensive shots (so will your team) and that knowing this the use of bettre preparation shots became more important and because nobody wanted to miss his shot and give the opponent an easy attack this eventualy made the rallies longer and on the second night the shortest match lasted around 15 minutes and the scores were closer.

6. Steven_Master18

Steven_Master18 Regular Member

student
    Games are really short with the new system..i still prefer and use the old one with my friends

7. quik_silver

quik_silver Regular Member

Analyst
    I am sure that the 21 point system is much fast. Especially for singles *IMO, points are added to rallies... I like the 15 point system better, the games doesn't seem as fast =) Good to kill some time and practice some shots. :)

From previous threads, the 21 point system was good for players who plays more attack. (Gade)

And Btw, who started/(invented) the new point system? Was it established long time ago, but was not used? Or is it a recent invention in badminton?

8. cxytdn

cxytdn Regular Member

It's the ITTF - International Table Tennis Federation, but the ITTF is using 7x11 instead of 5x21.:D

9. Archangel

Archangel Regular Member

ya i just got the newsletter sayin the changes to scoring
    its kinda weird for doubles but its not that diff
    you start on the rite as usual and if you win point as server you change sides with your partner
    and if you win a point when returning you also get to serve, and the person on the side corresponding to your score serves first. even=rite odd=left
    the only flaw is that if you alternate winning rallies you have a case where one person from each side serves always

10. CWB001

CWB001 Regular Member

I suggest you read the laws again. This can never happen.

The receivers never change sides when they win the rally, only the servers.

11. maa2003

maa2003 Regular Member

I remember last time ITTF using 3 x 21, and every player serves 5 times. New system is 7 x 11, and every player serves 2 times.

Also in Volleyball, last time 3 x 15. Then modified 3 x 15 (at the 3rd set if setting become rally point), then finally 5 x 25 rally point.

Badminton, from 3 x 15, then modified 3 x 15 (no more deuce if 13-13 or 9-9, but only at 14-14 or 10-10), again 5 x 7, and the latest 3 x 21 rally point.

12. maa2003

maa2003 Regular Member

dun confused, after watch several games and try to practice, then I have this :
    1. if your point is even, then service from Right
    2. if your point is odd, then service from Left
    3. if double (mixed, men or women), no more 2nd-service
    4. there will be no player who do service twice (e.g. now you do a service, then service over, and if you can get a service again, the one who should service is your partner).
    5. you should switch a position with your partner only and only, you are in service and you get another point.

you may see this link : http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34279

13. joonu

joonu Regular Member

executive
    Normand, thank you very much for providing the link.

14. Normand

Normand Regular Member

Joonu

you're welcome. I'm not en expert but any time I can help a badminton person with some experience or knowledge I feel I did my "job" to promote the sport

Normand

15. JRMTL

JRMTL Regular Member

Math teacher and coach at Univesity of Montreal
    And what a Normand!

And if Normand is THE Normand of Outaouais, it's absolutely certain that he is an amazing promoter for our sport!

Cheers!

JR