How Close Did You Think The Final of MO Was

Discussion in 'Macau Open / Thailand Open 2006' started by X Ball, Jul 23, 2006.

1. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

The two champions (World No. 1 & 2) were at their devastating best. Long rallies; power smashes; nippy net shots; deep pushes to the back; angle shots; etc. This is the best that Badminton can offer.

There was a sense of delight watching them play (even though I was barracking for LCW). When you thought the game was swinging towards one player, the other player steps up. Can it get any better ?

LD was very smart. He slowed the game in the 1st set. He was not going to be rushed as the game plan by LCW was to unruffled him (as he did with BCL and CH) --- every opportunity he had he went to the side. It worked against LCW.

The 3rd set was clearly one of mistakes by both players (given that this happens when players are tired) but LCW committed a fair share of these (hitting into the net several times). It could have gone his way if he had kept it tight but it was a very tough act.

Whatever anyone says, the gap between the two have narrowed to zero. LCW cannot now match LD in every department of play. This augurs well for the World Championship but closer to that we might see them giving us another world class display in the Korean/Thai Open.

2. cklee

cklee Regular Member

Entrepreneur
    Video of Macau Open-MS Final

Anybody out there kind enough to share your recorded video of the MS Final -LCW&LD. Completely missed it on Supersports.

A Million Thanks...:) :) :) :)

3. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

There's a repeat today (Monday) 0n ch 22 from 4 to 8pm. MS match will probably start about 6pm and end after 7pm but the LS before that is worth watching. Watch mute cos the commentator talks rot and spoils 100% enjoyment.

BTW, LD played very well, even outplaying LCW at the net. LCW could not play his best (indicated by his less than perfect netplay) ;even then the third game score is close. Augurs well for LCW. He should be able to beat LD in 3 games anywhere .Hopefully, they meet again in the TO and KO .

4. kyiyu

kyiyu Regular Member

General Manager
    Hi Lee
    there will be a delay telcast in supersport today also. Time is 4:00 to 8:00. So I guess LD vs LCW should be around 5:30 pm.

5. tbleong

tbleong Regular Member

omg,, how can you miss the show(to lee), we are badminton fans..pls dun miss the repeat again..stay on tv now//

6. cklee

cklee Regular Member

Entrepreneur
    Yah this time i'm ready with my HDD player.Thanks guys.

7. Linus

Linus Regular Member

Manager
    I agreed with XBall that it was a very close match. The first 2 sets were great to watch, the 3rd was considerably slower.

I read from other MO threads that many said LCW made a lot of unforced errors, that was true, esp on the 3rd set. But so was LD. I donot think there was a big differences on their number of unforced errors between them. (Throughout the 3 sets, I believed LD hit more shots wide or long than LCW did)

The difference I felt was LD can hit more direct winners than LCW. LD still has a little edge has fas as the arsenal is concerned.

If any of the members have recorded that match and has spare time to do some counting, I would be very interested to know the stats on each player in:
    (1) number of unforced errors
    (2) number of direct winning shots

8. EastDevil

EastDevil Regular Member

What job?
    Sadly, the moment the match started, LCW never looked capable of winning at all. Its the same thing as the Chinese Taipei Open, Lin Dan simply dominated LCW. I hope LCW will really work on that problem or he would either have to practise dramatic comebacks or request that IBF moves all tournaments to Malaysia. LCW simply cannot go on like this.

9. indra

indra Regular Member

LCW is beginning to suffer from "Dan Phobia"...

10. zqloy

zqloy Regular Member

Oh EastDevil, u sure u're watching the same match? Not sure that i agree with "Lindan simply dominated LCW..." in this game as well as in TO. In fact i think this is best match among the 3 (even though kinda sad after LCW lost...:()
    Their level of playing is seriously close! They manage to retrieve most of the difficult shots from each other, esp CW who really did retrieve quite alot of impossible shots..... LD manage to won at last just because he played better at the end crucial points....

11. cklee

cklee Regular Member

Entrepreneur
    Why LCW lost!!!

It seems the debate has started over LCW's defeat by Lin Dan. I suppose its normal for members to post (post-match) assessment to determine why he lost and LD won. I'd love to join in the fray but I am withholding my comments and assessment till i get my hands on the repeat telecast tonight.

Can u believe i missed that one. Gee what else!!!:mad::mad::mad:

12. EastDevil

EastDevil Regular Member

What job?
    With the kind of errors LCW seem to be making, I don't see how he will be able to win. It is simply useless to return tough shots and yet give away cheap points.

Returning tough shots makes for very good entertainment but the game is still about getting 21 points first. I would happily let my opponents return 10 of my tough shots while I get 21 cheap points.

#12 EastDevil, Jul 24, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2006
  13. cklee

cklee Regular Member

Entrepreneur
    I must agree cos we said it already b4 the match

This time i must agree with East Devil. I have appended my thread below my assessment b4 the match took place 1 week earlier;:(

I agree, LinDan has a slight edge over LCW if they end up in the finals..by virtue of their past records. The only possible way for LCW to win is ;

1.he must ensure he makes lesser unforced errors than LD.
    2.he must keep up the pressure whilst he's leading
    3.he plays a faster attacking game than LD to force him to make errors and
    4.he is mentally and physically stronger on that day - provided he doesn't go thru an exhaustive 3 game semis match the day b4.

IF all the above factors are met you can bet LCW will cruise thru in straight games.

14. wynn000

wynn000 Regular Member

agree agree i think Lcw got improved a lots some difficult shots CW manage to saved it.But he made alots of mistake i think tats why he cant won

#14 wynn000, Jul 24, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2006
  15. zqloy

zqloy Regular Member

From what i saw, both players do hv the fair share of the amount of errors, cant see LD made alot lesser than LCW. And i should say both improved on making less errors comparing the match in MO and CTO, especially CW who made much more lesser errors than CTO.
    Thats because both were definitely in excellent form and played a very high level game, keeping the pressure on each other to make mistakes. Thats what Misbun already predicted earlier.

16. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Hahaha, you are a stirrer with your comment: "...the moment the match started, LCW never looked capable of winning at all". What a a lot of crap ! How does one look to win ?:confused: Like Lin Dan ? He looked like he just woke up from a slumber, if I may say so !

And "Lin Dan simply dominated LCW" is another stirring statement. LOL, what a joke ! LCW domninated Lin Dan in the 2nd game and the beginning of the 3rd. :rolleyes:

Now get this in return from me: LCW gave the game away because LCW wanted LD to feel comfortable because he would lull him for now before he wallops him in the coming World Championship. Get the gist ? :p :D

17. Simp84

Simp84 Regular Member

Student
    I think LCW should learn to be more cunning like LD....
    eg... more towel break at crucial points... break opponent's rhythm and concentration....
    LCW was totally out of focus in the end when LD keep on taking towel break and stuff... and thus all the mistakes sets in

18. Malaysianfan

Malaysianfan Regular Member

You are right. Yap Kim Hock just said the same thing to the media today. LCW needs to ask for more towel break to break the opponent's concentration.

19. zqloy

zqloy Regular Member

What did Yap said? Where can i see the article?

20. Malaysianfan

Malaysianfan Regular Member