Strategies to exhaust your opponent

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Monster, Jul 23, 2006.

1. Monster

Monster Regular Member

Hey guys,

Haven't found any thread which is dedicated to discuss ways to tire your opponents apart from loose replies in various topic discussions.

Let's share some strategies you guys have in doubles or singles to exhaust ur opponents.

2. TrueBlue

TrueBlue Regular Member

if you re fitter: pick up the shuttle yourself and immediately stand in a serving pose to show you want to serve - he ll maybe loose more and more points cause he can't regenerate. (single of course)

3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I doubt it's going to work great.

The opponents can simply walk slower and taking longer time (of course, not forever) to get into ready stance. As long as s/he not in the "ready stance", you can't serve, regardless how fast yourself pick up the shuttle. ;)

4. LuckyBoy

LuckyBoy Regular Member

make them run by hitting the shuttle everywhere?

5. TrueBlue

TrueBlue Regular Member

If he plays by the rules he should at least be a little faster in betting ready...
    or if he has honour;)

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Well, if the "sever" has the honor, s/he should not intention rush the opponents by intentionally serve faster, either. :rolleyes:

There's no clearly written rules about exactly how fast or slow a person should get into the ready position, it's more like a gentleman's agreement base on principle. Therefore, if one side wants to rush, the other side can simply slow it down, w/o breaking any rules. ;)

7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Rather than eveverywhere, I want to describe it as "effective placement". ;)

8. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

How about this strategy - if you're in a tournament waiting to play against the winner of the match between "player A" and "player B" , where "player A" is the stronger player favoured to win, go talk to "player B" and give him/her your analysis of "player A"'s weaknesses and tendencies.

That way, their match will be much closer, and by the time they play you, they'll be more tired.

9. Notnimdab729

Notnimdab729 Regular Member

Deputy General Manager
    Strategies to exhaust yr opponents

Hi Monster,
    Placement of shuttle is very important. Accurate placement of shuttle at the furthest distance from yr opponent will make him run n exhaust himself. Sometimes, deception is needed to give yr opponent surprises n catch him off guard. One of the method is to hold d shuttle will the last minute before hitting it.We say a "flick" at the last minute. ;)
    Lee:D

10. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    How about sending the shuttle to the 4 corners of your opponent's court, mostly in a direction that will make him or her to completely change direction in a most awkward fashion?

11. Jinryu

Jinryu Regular Member

Librarian, RacketsportsMontreal.ca owner
    Excellent point, especially the "completely change direction". That kind of shooting deals double damage-- typical example is when the opponnet is late at returning from the baseline to their base position and running like a madman and you flick it back over their head as they're running forward.

I'd throw in that if you have good deceptive techniques. not the kind that delay a shot (such as making your strokes smashes look like drops or vice versa so that your opponent has to wait before moving) but the kind that purposely look like you're going to do one thing and you do another.

Basically what taneepak was suggesting. Only that in the pervious case, it just assumes someone is going in the wrong direction-- I'm saying that through deception, you can actively take the initiative and MAKE THEM go in the wrong direction, then send the bird in the other direction.

Wasn't there also a BC article somewhere called "Causing Damage" or something? It's got all these evil tactics. Legit, but evil.:rolleyes:

12. robc06

robc06 Regular Member

Editor
    We practice hitting the shuttle to all six corners. Thare six points on the court to hit too. Half court is a excellent shot, especially straight from the serve. A half court shot is useful in singles and doubles.

Push the shuttle int the backhand corner then drop the shuttle into the forehand corner, thats the furthest distance for your opponent to run. Move him around the court, if he drop at the net and comes into the net, flick over his head into the opposite corner.

Another good tactic is too quicken te game up by not letting your opponent have time to recover.

And in reverse if your opponent does that to you, then there are ways to phyche him out and slow the game down so he loses the competive edge.

13. Monster

Monster Regular Member

How about this - deliberately give high returns say 3/4 to his baseline and if he's the sort of player who smashes, you wear him down through his constant smashing (also provided that you can catch most of his smashes). When he's 1/2 tank empty, you start with the unexpected over-the-head clears whereby he rushes to the central position after clearing your first overhead clearing? And when he becomes lazy to return to his central position expecting you to clear to his baseline again, you drop at the net. This assumes that when he's 1/2 tank, he tends to be slower than you and you are able to control the game.

Assuming that you are good with receiving smashes or that your opponent's smashes are not considered Godlike, is this a better strategy than placing the corners because if he is the faster person, he may then do you the same thing!

Btw guys, do your coaches teach sessions whereby you are only focusing on draining your opponents? Or any "evil" but legitimate shots as jinryu said ?

14. Monster

Monster Regular Member

How about this - Assuming that you are good with receiving and returning smashes and that your opponent does not have godlike smashes (moderate smashes), you deliberately return 1/2 - 3/4 court and if he's the type who likes to smash, let him do it. He may earn a few pts when you cannot get it but once he's 1/2 tank empty, you start your real game. Give overhead clears and because he's 1/2 tank empty, he has the tendency of being slower and you are then able to play netshots and baseline overhead clears one after the other. When he's rushing to his central court position from returning your overheard clear, you return another overhead clear thus causing him to apply his brakes and the need for abrupt change in direction as taneepak said?

Questions:

Notnimdab729: Agree with what you said. But to give last minute flicks, do you also assume that you are the faster player? Or that he's of poorer stamina or less agile that you are able to reach the bird earlier to be able to decide on your last min flicks? Speaking from experience, if you reach the bird slower and that your opponent is fast, you normally have barely enough time to think before you return.

Robc06: Why is 1/2 court useful ? Does that not give a chance for your opponent to kill?

15. Notnimdab729

Notnimdab729 Regular Member

Deputy General Manager
    Exhaust yr opponents

Hi Monster,
    If u are faster than yr opponent, obviously u have a great advantage over yr opponent. U can have all the time to perform many tricks with the birdie. However, if u are slower than yr opponent, then it is a different issue. Footwork is critical in saving u alots of unnecessary running. wristwork and timing will give u the deceptive strokes. The ability to see yr opponent's arm movement(i.e. the swing) n body positioning will allow u to anticipate certain shots to a certain extent.;) Experiences taught us of our errors as well as our opponents' mistakes n weak points plus strong points. Training will reinforce our conficence n strengthen and perfect our skills.:p
    Let us exhaust our opponents or get exhausted.:D
    Lee

16. jerby

jerby Regular Member

well, you have to be fit to do this. and is boudn to work if you are fitter/more consistent:

Don't ever finsih of the rally! keep the rally going, even if you have the upper hand. (try to) stay in control of the rally, but never hit a winnign shot, just keep placing them.

if you're not superiorly fit it has to get a bit less sportive: run at 110% for lot's of points exhaust yourself compeltly, and than start buying time (Jao Yie?) posivtive effects: your opponent is tired, and frustrated:p

Also: the tip from TrueBlue...To me that works counterproductive. in competitive play, when ym (singles mostly) opponent wants to keep the apce up by havign 3sec rests between rallies I tned to slwo down a bit when preparing. head to the floor, hand up, stand ready, raise racketarm, head down, hand up. raise head, remove hand. play ball. Some already serve if I raise my racket (but keep head down, hand up).
    But this is onyl if I really want to win (tournaments) and my opponent is deliberatly raising the pace. Normally I'm a nice guy:p

As for Jinryu tips (deception) I really agree. There's nothign more tireing as that first mis-step before you figure out the deception. *Step to backhand, "Oh piss", stop, start again and run to make the shot* that's two additional starts/stops...very tireing...
    (that's what you get when playing with the big boys...)

17. Monster

Monster Regular Member

Jerby: Never thought of your first strategy, ie to keep the rally going despite having opportunities to win a shot. Sounds like a good tactic if you are have the upper hand. I'll try that out next time. Most of the time when I'm playing, I try to score whenever possible, hence never thought of keeping the rally going.

Any of you guys have special training sessions with your coaches on tiring your opponents, deception shots etc ? My coach never emphasize a session purely on draining us. When we requested lately however, he then plays singles with us and after the match when we are completely exhausted, he will comment on how our game is and why we get so tired. Obviously he is a better player but when a game is targetted at exhausting your opponent and not purely to win (normally you also tend to win if your opponent is already half dead and you have still a lot more to come), it becomes a game of the different sort. Oh btw, now that you guys mention this, I also notice that when we request for such training, he is usually quick in his pace and appears to trim every possible bit of time eg serving quicker and getting into ready position quicker. And as Lazybuddy says, although there is no clearly written rules of when a person is to be ready, because of his pressure, it naturally makes me surrender into getting to ready position quicker too despite wanting a 3 secs rest.

How about this strategy: Deliberately lose a pt by giving very high clears and aim at opponent's baseline such that after several clearing, the last shot is potentially an out shot? If opponent doesn't notice he will attempt to pick it but when he does notices at the end, he will have moved back & forth a lot before he realises it is out. You may potentially lose pt but you trade it with him losing energy. sounds like a cheap tactic but hey, as long as it works !!

18. setaa

setaa Regular Member

experienced players most of the time can tell if it's going to be out or not unless it's very very close to the line. even the not-so-experienced ones can tell if it's ridiculously far :p and given the proper technique (and a birdie that actually runs), your opponent would have no trouble clearing your slightly-out shot to your baseline

19. Monster

Monster Regular Member

setaa: you are pretty right. I seem to have the problem of not knowing when the shot is out esp at the baseline. probably works on people like me, but as you said, usually wouldn't work on ppl who have that good "feel".

20. PhuzyBuny

PhuzyBuny Regular Member

A simple way that I have used in doubles where you and your partner are in defense-mode (side-to-side), and the opponent is in attack-mode (front-to-back) and the opponet is doing smash or drop shots is to drive the shuttle back to the back two corners. Alternating from left to right. As long as the opponent remains in attack mode and the attacker at the back is constantly smashing or dropping, this technique requires little energy on your part (mainly wrist and forearm), and a large expenditure of energy from the attacking opponent. They will run back and forth and since they are often hitting the shuttle from a sideways motion, they often have less time to aim or strategize. This sometimes gives you the opportunity to attack if a poorly returned shuttle is hit. I have often used this in doubles games and have even tried it in singles games. I'm sure this technique could be more effective in singles games as it opens up two more corners for attack (the corners near the net).