Thailand Open Day 1 (26/07)

Discussion in 'Macau Open / Thailand Open 2006' started by badMania, Jul 25, 2006.

1. badMania

badMania Regular Member

The main draw will start tomorrow morning with matches in MS (2 rounds), WS, and XD. A total of 80 matches will be played.

Here's some of the interesting matches (predicted winners in bold as usual):

MS ROUND 1/64
    Andrew Smith vs Shoji Sato -- the English player is seeded 9/16, but, I think the Jap will win.

Marcus Jansson vs Alamsyah Yunus -- a tricky test for the young Indonesian player. Can he win?

Boonsak Ponsana vs Kenn Lim -- should be a breeze for the home favorite, but Chen Hong should await him tomorrow night.

Mohd Roslin Hashim vs Park Sung Hwan -- Roslin lost to Kendrick last week and he faces another tough first-round opponent. I don't think he can win.

Sho Sasaki vs Peter Gade -- a tricky test also for the Danes (who is in a honeymoon in Thailand), but he should manage.

Mohd Arif Abdul Latif vs Hong Seung -- with Lin Dan's withdrawal, the young and promising Arif should win.

WS ROUND 1/32
    Pia Zebadiah vs Eriko Hirose -- tough first draw for Pia. It will be a huge upset if she manages to win!

Lee Hyun Jin vs Judith Meulendijks -- tricky draw for the newly crowned Macau Open champion, but, she should win.

Adrianti Firdasari vs Yu Hirayama -- again, a tough first draw for the Indonesian girl. I hope she advances.

Salakjit Ponsana vs Lu Lan -- the Chinese should win.

Kanako Yonekura vs Yao Jie -- yet another tough match for both players. Yao to win.

XD ROUND 1/32
    Eric Go/Mona Santoso vs Devin Lahardi/Yunita Tetty -- the newly formed Indo pair should win their first match.

Lingga/Yulianti vs Hsieh Yu-Hsing/Yang Chia-Tseng -- I believe this is the young Indonesian pair's second World Grand Prix tournaments, after the Indonesia Open this year. They came back from Thailand with a victory in the Satelitte event few months ago. I think they will win their first match.

Keita Masuda/Tomomi Matsuda vs Thomas Laybourn/Kamilla Rytter-Juhl -- the Danes won the Macau Open few days ago after an impressive victory over Zhang Jun/Gao Ling. They should reach at least the semi-final to have yet another rendevous with the Chinese pair.

2. Erwin

Erwin Regular Member

I'm quite curious about the Shon Seung Mo vs. Sony Dwi Kuncuro match. Probably the best first round match!

3. djake

djake Regular Member

Dr
    I don't think Sony is playing. SSM is playing Chan Kwong Beng (Malaysia) in the first round.
    I'm intrigued by HRH Princess (of Thailand ?) in the mixed doubles playing against Lee Jae Jin and Lee Hyo Jung !

4. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Yes the princess of Thailand is playing in Mixed Doubles. But she is not a threat. Her opponent should win with a breeze.

5. meeya

meeya Regular Member

what does it mean when a player is seeded 9/16? usually it's 1st seed, 2nd seed.....

6. badMania

badMania Regular Member

MS usually has up to 16 seeded players (based on rankings). If he's seeded 9/16, then his ranking (based on the players involved in the tourney) is 9 to 16.

Some notable early results:
    Andrew Smith bt Shoji Sato 21-14, 21-15 -- this guy has improved a lot...and could pose some threat in the future. He should win again tonight and face either Chen Yu or LCW tomorrow.

Marcus Jansson lost to Alamsyah Yunus 11-21, 12-21 -- a good result for the young and inexperienced Indonesian player. He will face Lee Hyun Il later at night.

Hsieh Yu-Hsing lost to Chen Hong -- 21-16, 17-21, 13-21 -- another struggle by Chen Hong. Jeffer could push him yet again tonight.

Jeffer Rosobin, Boonsak Ponsana, Vountus Indra Mawan (the young Malaysian player) and Chen Jin also advance (after his opponent withdrew). I made a mistake in my earlier post. Boonsak will face another young Malaysian player (Mohd Nazri Latifi) tonight and he should advance to Round 1/16 to face Lee Hyun Il tomorrow. Vountus also has a winnable tie against Jung Hoon Min.

7. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Man, Kuan Beng Hong lost again. To John Moody. His string of poor performances continue.

8. wynn000

wynn000 Regular Member

aiks........ how come??

9. wynn000

wynn000 Regular Member

very dissapointed...........

10. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    It means he is seeded 9th to 16th. There will be eight players in total who will be seeded 9/16. This is instead of directly seeding 9th, 10th, 11th etc.

11. tehsham

tehsham Regular Member

What ?????:crying: :mad:

12. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    so much for his confidence boosting Melaka Open Title.

Only in Malaysia perhaps?

13. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Sigh...not even a Melaka Open title will raise KBH's spirit. He lost tamely yet again 19-21, 11-21 in 30 mins to John Moody. Other young Malaysian players like Beryno Wong, Mohd Shafiq Jamaluddin, and Wee Chung Pei can beat their first round opponents without any problems.

KBH has to seriously think about his future....a break from badminton will be good for him.

14. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    John Moody give KBH bad vibes. At least Msia is sending more of their younger players now. I don't understand this KBH. Always lose to unknown players. Not that the unknown players are not good. Just that.. its KBH.

15. thiery

thiery Regular Member

Maybe KBH should call it a day. He has no improvement. I'm very very disappointed.

16. zqloy

zqloy Regular Member

Really beginning to think tat he cant play outside Malaysia la.....
    Some said tat he is another LCW in making, sorry i cant see tat... his weak mental is the problem he could'nt overcome himself.... LCW at his age had redi beaten a string of top players in the world, while for KBH sadly to say, its the opposite way.......

#16 zqloy, Jul 25, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2006
  17. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Well, the BAM has tried everything with KBH. The switched him over to Li Mao but it's his mental state that is most fragile. He still has that TC mental block which, if he does not overcome, will end his career in a hurry. Poor chap, I'm sure he's trying his hardest but even if the body is willing, his mind isn't :(

18. wynn000

wynn000 Regular Member

i think he juz still cant overcome some problem....
    although i am very dissappointed but till support him lah

19. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    Come on lahhh KBH... I never suported you.... but now i feel pity for you.... You want like this ka?????

Come on La!

20. EastDevil

EastDevil Regular Member

What job?
    He lost to a moody guy? :p