Are you an advanced player ?

Discussion in 'Singapore' started by chew5555, Jul 25, 2006.

1. chew5555

chew5555 Regular Member

Hi fellow players out there. For those of you that play this game often, you know how addictive it can be. You sometimes skipped your wife's birthday just to be with your buddies so that loser pay drinks alround. You can pay for other things if that is what you want, maybe dinner even. In our younger days, it can get outragious. We have mellowed somewhat now as we'r no longer 'young fighting cocks' anymore. In many ways we count ourselves very lucky as we have been able to play daily at toa payoh sports complex for several years now (mondays to fridays 3 to 6pm) . Yesterday a new player came by as a result of my posting. He is currently back in singapore from Cornell University in the USA doing his final year' honour in electrical engineering .(He is a scholar !!) This guy can play ,has loads of stamina . Thanks Winson . You 'r most welcome to come again. For those of you interested to have a game please call me first so that i can coordinate the number of players at each session. (You dont have to be a scholar but you do have to be likeable) My mobile is 96396168. Cheers.

2. fifteen luv

fifteen luv Regular Member

addicted player

I may not be an advance player but can say truly an addicted one. I can remember some years back we a group of badminton addict(6persons) did beg the owner of the badminton court to let us play on the 1st, 2nd & 3rd day of the Chinese New Year. But now we do not do it anymore as the owner do not want to open the court again as we are the only group playing.
    p/s we are all married guys.

3. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

Hi Chew,
    Feel free to join us at Serangoon on Tue/Thurs/Sat 730pm-1030pm. Oh, the scholar is welcome. I'll sms u my contact and hopefully we'll meet up this Saturday for a game or two at Serangoon.

P/S: we only accept good players

Cheerz,
    jimbo

4. chew5555

chew5555 Regular Member

hi jimbo
    Thanks for the offer . will definitely visit you guys one of these evenings. Always good to make new friends on common interests. Will call you .

5. cklee

cklee Regular Member

Entrepreneur
    Hi Chew and Jimbo,

Feel free to join us here at CCK anytime to cross swords. Its an honour to play with veterans in the game. May learn something new too.:D :D :D

6. chew5555

chew5555 Regular Member

Hi cklee
    yes good idea to have a friendly. Can your guys make it in the afternoon at toa payoh. maybe we can have just a few doubles if not enough can make it daytime since my guys are not available at night. call me to arrange 96396168 for our guys to meet. cheers

7. chew5555

chew5555 Regular Member

Hi cklee
    Can I have your mobile contact so that we arrange a small friendly among our players ? My hp is 96396168. See you soon.

8. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Did someone call me? I tot I hear someone call. hehe.
    Jimbo, is your smashing more powerful now? I oso want to gun battle wif u. haha.

9. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Hi Chew5555

Welcome onboard! It's nice to have another badminton fan to join us. I can't help noting that you play almost everyday during "working hours". You must be very lucky to be in such a situation.

10. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

*LOL* sure, the battlefield (Serangoon Central) always welcome good players, and of coz, u r invited... :D

jimbo

11. chew5555

chew5555 Regular Member

Hi Loh
    Guess I cant complain about life since I get to have my badminton fix everyday. But then I am currently 51 years and have worked for the past 33 years so I think I am entitled to take life more leisurely now. I love this game since my teen days and was in the F&N badminton scheme when it was first introduced in Singapore some 37 years ago. Then we trained in Upper Thomson Secondary School in the evenings under Richard Chee. (I think the best team then was the Toa Payoh Group which had Wong Soon Keat) When you passed 50 your body parts need some overhaul now and then, so singles is definitely out. I can play a decent game of doubles though. Take care and cheers.

Hi Jimbo
    Heard about the fierce smashers at Serangoon Central from Steven Oh. Thats why we must celebrate youth , you can jumb smash and your knees dont buckle. Any good veterans at your place? ( Think besides Steven, you probably have Sandy at veteran level. ) Hope to catch up with your people one of these days. Cheers

12. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Hi Chew5555

So you were one of the lucky and talented boys who received F&N sponsored training under a well known ex-National singles player. It is good to see you still enjoying the game when you are past 50 and to join BC recently to communicate with the other badminton fans.

We have one thing in common though, ie, we had to start working at age 18, but I guess you had a better headstart as you were born later than me. During my days as a teenager, there were no F&N or Milo badminton coaching schemes. We just play on our own with no help from the experts and if you are good enough, you play for your school in friendly matches against other schools. No organized competitions like inter-school, regional or national tournaments and Cheers Age-groups! Cheers my friend! :D

13. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

Hey Chew,
    You are definitely welcome to join us and several good veteran players there. Steven Oh is a regular but not Sandy. Powerful smashes? hmm... definitely NOT me.

jimbo

14. NEOing

NEOing Regular Member

Still Lookin...
    Hey

Hi Jimbo, wonder if u know me but if u see my face confirm u know who i am. When are you all playing ?Can me and my partner join in as well ? Let me know ba.

15. NEOing

NEOing Regular Member

Still Lookin...
    Oops

sorry, i mean where (the venue and how to get there). Are u playing on this saturday ? If u are still wondering who i am, u played with me b4 at CCK sports hall every wed.....

16. Cengsc

Cengsc Regular Member

Administrative..
    u r back, man.
    glad to see u...

ceng

17. chew5555

chew5555 Regular Member

Hi my friends
    Just wondering whether anyone out there has a dvd of the 1985 All England Badminton Final between Zhao Jian Huo and Morten Frost. This is , in my opinion , one of the best singles matches and it is also rare because Zhao won even though he was not seeded at all for this tournament and had to play through the qualifying matches. He looked very different from what he looked like when he came to stay in Singapore few years back. His hair style was spiky and he was very muscular . I watched that match and recorded it on video ( then, there was no dvd) and my video is now poor quality. One of the best shots during this titanic match was Zhao's jumping back hand smash. Please call me 96396168 if you know where to get a dvd copy. Cheers

18. Scanner

Scanner Regular Member

Accounts
    Dvd

hi chew,

i've paste it for you below, u can email han, and he will mail it to you through
    whatever form of payment you can pay him, googd luck.

Hi:
    Here are the Collections that I've put together, if you're interested please write me at han_cheong@yahoo.com so I can mail you the tournaments details. Prices include shipping.

-Hong Kong Open, 2 DVDs, 6 hrs ------------> $20;
    -ABC 2003, 2 DVDs, 5 hr ------------> $20;
    -Danish Open 2003, 2 DVDs 6 hr ------------> $20;
    -INA_SG_MY 2003, 3 DVDs, 9 hr -------------> $25;
    -World Championship 2003, 4 DVDs, 17hrs ---> $30;
    -Sudirman Cup 2003, 2 DVds, 8 hrs ---> $25;
    -All England 2003(MSSF & MSF), 1 DVD, 2hr --> $10;
    -All England 2001, 2 DVDs, 8 hrs ----------> $20;
    -All England 2000, 3 DVDs, 8 hrs ----------> $20;
    -All England 1999, 2 DVDs, 5 hrs ----------> $15;
    -Asia Cup 2001, 2 DVDs, 6 hr --------------> $15;
    -Thomas Cup 2000, 3 DVDs, 11 hr -----------> $20;
    -Olympic 2000, 3 DVds, 12 hr --------------> $25;
    -Grand Prix 1999, 4 DVDs, 16 hr -----------> $20;

19. modious

modious Regular Member

I also have quite a no. of badminton videos to share. All you have to do is to pay me $1 (round off) for each DVD/CD. I don't intend to earn anything except some compensation for time spent in duplicating the discs. :D

The list is not yet updated as I've from 2003-2006 tournaments which are not included inside yet.

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=413877&postcount=32

#19 modious, Aug 16, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2006
  20. chew5555

chew5555 Regular Member

Hi Modious
    Thanks for the kind gestures . Btw do you have the 1985 singles match and also a doubles match featuring Park Joo Bong, whom I consider to be the best doubles strategist in this game. I still cant get over the game he played in the Thomas Cup against the cracking young pair from Indonesia. Park was already retired for quite a while but because Korea needed his service, he came in to partner someone not his usual partner. Needless to say, Park's shuttle placing neutralised many a times the smashing prowess of the Indonesian pair. And ,of course, Park went on to notch another win for Korea in straight sets in comparative ease. Always so grateful we can get to watch a maestro's performance such as the ones by Park and Zhao Jian Huo. Thanks in advance