Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My statement stands.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well it obviously depends on what martial art we are talking about

some martial arts, like some forms of karate stress a stance of stability in One spot..

other martial arts and especially boxing (and again DIffernent forms of karate or taekwondo) stress Stabilitiy in movement - the practice of moving in and out of distance w/the opponent is more important. closing distance w/attacks and fallowing them up and evading attacks are all important here.

i was in WTF (World tkd Federation) Style TaeKwonDo, which is in many ways almost more of a sport than martial art - closer to boxing in many respects

in the taekwondo i was in footwork was very important

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Food for thought..

I might get off the tangent a lil bit.. I know, very unlike me But I was thinking..it seems to me that you guys compare martial arts to badminton perhaps on the basis of the speed in both discipline being similar, and also the amount of foot work involved. It may come as a surprise to you that, a particular discipline that can be regarded as totally opposite to the bursting speed martial arts may actually have better benefit on your badminton game than martial arts, in my humble opinion.. Before you jump down my throat defending martial arts' contribution to badminton, please note that I didn't say martial arts have no benefit to your badminton, but it may not be as beneficial as this particular discipline...which is Yoga..surprise?

Yoga is a form of exercise that combines breathing, semi-meditation, relaxation, body equibelerium (sp?) / balance and flexibility. How is it more advantageous and complimentary to your badminton..easy:

1) Breathing - by learning how to conserve your energy and to breathe efficiently (I know it sounds wishy washy..but it works), you actually improves your stamina and don't tire as easily..

2) Semi-meditation and relaxation : Obviously this is more beneficial in terms of psychological and mental toughness when dealing with such things as nervousness, fear of losing, losing temper on court etc..

3) Body balance - You may have the fastest footwork on court, and can fly here and there, but if you constantly feel like you're wrong footed or you always land awkwardly after a particular shot, it is still not good..but by learning how to be more stable with applying the correct balance through adopting proper postures will help you out of those clumsy footworks..so less clumsy footworks = more efficient and quicker footwork

4) Flexibility - this is one of Yoga's biggest contribution to badminton..ask any top players the meaning of being limber, or springy if you like..to be fluid with your movement instead of stiff and jerky..if you're flexible, you'll be able to perform better in terms of lunging, wrist and arm manouverability and strong and limber legs to help you with those fast footwork and of course..jumping smashes!

In addition, because Yoga involves lots of stretches, it is also a discipline that will help you avoid unnecessary and ugly badminton injuries like tearing muscles and breaking ankles etc..ouch!

Adelina

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

theres actually a correct and incorrect way to breath??? explain plz!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Breathing..

Sorry, should have elaborate..not so much as to how to breathe..but how to breate more efficiently during games..i.e for example, do you know that you get less tired if can learn to breathe in through your mouth and breahte out through your nose.. your body keeps more oxygen this way..hard to explain..yoga instructor will tell you better

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have never heard that martial arts helps badminton, it's strange and very odd to me, but i see where ya'll coming from.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Martial Arts are a very interesting subject.

I particularly like Adelina's points about Yoga. Relaxation is a vital component in the game. Being worked up about gamesmanship and trying to show the opponent 'a macho thing or two' is all very well but in one's effort to try harder, the muscles actually tense up and you yourself as the player can actually get slower and more tired as a result.

Regarding other martial arts and the obvious speed advantages, the type of martial arts training is important. A discipline such as TaeKwondo with a lot of leg work will be advantageous. Karate training can help but there are many styles of Karate. Wado-ryu is regarded as being the lightest and quickest but goju-ryu, with it heavy stances and strength training may be less advantageous for badminton.

In chinese martial arts, the Northern styles have more leg movements compared to Southern styles. If you look at Wing Chun, the stances are very close set and it is difficult to see how the stance can benefit badminton. however, if you look at the speed techniques of Wing Chun, the speed comes from relaxation of the muscles. the sudden application of strength at the correct moment is the basis behind the famous "1 inch punch" - the technique is not easy, just like badminton isn't that easy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I couldn't agree with Cheung more. The "one inch punch" is a very good point. I was merely warning against being too stiff/rigid with the kung-fu stance when one is waiting for the shuttle in defense. If one applies the kung-fu "horse" stance in that situation, one would be too stable one one's feet to react quickly to the shots.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Yoga

Adelina, if you saw Pulella Gopichand win the All England over Peter Gade you would have noticed Gopi's breathing excercises during the rallies towards the end. Apparently he practises a lot of yoga.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default adelina

i do that too, keeping my nasal tract moisted is another benefit
    Last edited by cooler; 06-24-2002 at 06:14 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: cooler

Originally posted by cooler
    i do that too, keeping my nasal tract moisted is another benefit
    I'm going to plead ignorance on this but what does keeping your nasal tract moist means? You move around the badminton court with a runny nose? eeeews.. charming....not

And how does one keep this nasal tract moist Cooler? get a fire hose and squirt water up the nose? Maybe use a plant spray?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hehehe...
    Cooler, you need to post a picture of this for Adelina.

Sorry, can't get the image of you with your moist nasal tract based on Adelina's post out of my mind.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

gross

oh, just great, i can't get this picture of cooler getting ready for his serve, with his nose dripping, like onto the shuttle - ugh... then he serves it high over us, raining nasal drip. Maybe that's how you got us on your flick serve so many times...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default adelina, winex west can, badrad

the nasal drip is a deception, you guys should be watching the birdie instead.
    Last edited by cooler; 06-25-2002 at 02:32 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

on a serious note, let me attempt to explain why breathing out the nose is better, in a control activity. Be caution of my explaination, i'm not a yoga instructor nor a medical practitioner.

1. where i live the altitude is nose bleeding high and the air is drier than at sea level. Every breathe you exhale, the moistened air from the lung keep the nasal passages moist. You trying to minimize water loss.

2. under rapid breathing the O2 content in the exhaled air is only slightly less than ambient air so the exhaling air passing through the nasal come in contact with the blood vessels will assist O2 adsorption under a moist mucous environment. The dissolved O2 goes into the blood vessels directly and goes to the brain faster because of the shorter path. A dry mucous reduce this O2 adsorption process. For proof, ask a cocaine addict how to get a quick high.

3. expelling air thru nose is more efficient in term of expelling all the co2 from every alveoli. It also consume less energy as u r relaxing the diaphragm and intercostal muscles vs by the mouth which give more air throughput but less efficient. This principle is also use in optimizing engine performance (header vs open pipe). Of course when you are panting and not in control of your game, efficient is not in your agenda, you just want to survive the ordeal. Also in a hot and humid enviroment, expelling heat is also important. Then breathing and exhaling through the mouth is your best choice of respiration. If you see this in your opponent, your tactic is working.

i think there are several more aspects of optimal breathing but for that you have to ask tai chi or qi gong masters.

-cooler
    Last edited by cooler; 06-25-2002 at 02:14 AM.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Point 2 is incorrect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by cooler

2. under rapid breathing the O2 content in the exhaled air is only slightly less than ambient air so the exhaling air passing through the nasal come in contact with the blood vessels will assist O2 adsorption under a moist mucous environment. The dissolved O2 goes into the blood vessels directly and goes to the brain faster because of the shorter path. A dry mucous reduce this O2 adsorption process. For proof, ask a cocaine addict how to get a quick high.

-cooler [/B]

Can you be more specific about which blood vessels are absorbing the O2 and which vessels are bringing that O2 up to the brain??

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast