User Tag List

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes it does improve your badminton game!

I stoped playing badminton for about 5 years to do Kickboxing and boxing. Badminton footwork is simular to some boxing foot work. After ceasing that training I came back to badminton.....been back playing for 2 years and have come back better than ever.

A badminton court is close to the size of a boxing ring. You have less time to react and 'read' and opponent in kickboxing with more serious things that can happen to you if your reaction is too slow or no reaction at all..lol.ouch.

The ability to 'cruise' and conserve enegy and without hesitation explode with extreme power and speed when a split second opportunity/opening shows itself.

Many benefits that will take too long to mention all.

But mainly..........It is impossible to intimidate me at badminton, how can you be scared of a shuttle being hit at you after doing that for sport? Also someone trying to stare me out in badminton?. ........give me a break......I never stare at an opponent in badminton to intimidate them....I seldom make eye contact at all......I watch the shuttle......thats what I am trying to hit......the eyes lie anyway.

I still just do boxing but no sparring or fighting......just for fitness.

It has done more for my game than weighttraining even has. Not that others here might not benefit from lifting weights everyones body type is different.

But I would have to say that martial arts does complement badminton in many ways.

Put it this way..........No one at my stadium knows that I also do boxing. I don't tell them........they are my opponents

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LongReach
    A badminton court is close to the size of a boxing ring.
    Wow... I never thought about that...

I change my footwork drastically in MA from badminton. It's all about the stability you need in your movements, the distance you have to cover, and the speed you need to do it at.

But that the court is about the size of a ring... Your local club members must find your footwork godly. I've seen a pro move around. I don't think I could land a jab if he were within three feet of me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixMateria
    Wow... I never thought about that...

I change my footwork drastically in MA from badminton. It's all about the stability you need in your movements, the distance you have to cover, and the speed you need to do it at.

But that the court is about the size of a ring... Your local club members must find your footwork godly. I've seen a pro move around. I don't think I could land a jab if he were within three feet of me.

Beleive it or not but my success in kickboxing was mainly due to my superior footwork learnt from badminton, lunges are used (straight right to low to the stomach.........the scissor kick was a great adaptation to kickboxing.......when someone attempted a 'leg kick' to my front leg, I would 'scissor' that leg out of the way and come straight back forward with a big straight right kick to the head.......crowd pleaser and a good counter attack. It makes it appear i am moving back where in actual fact I am withdrawing that front leg to come over the top of the opponents low kick in one swift fast.....and powerfull kick with body rotation and stepping through an opponent with full weight.

The main difference is that in badminton you are almost always facing one end of the ring.........whereas with boxing you constantley move facing in all different direction squaring with you opponent and avoiding being 'incircled' and attacked at angles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beleive it or not but my success in kickboxing was mainly due to my superior footwork learnt from badminton,
    i wonder what is the equivalent to picking a dropshot would contribute to boxing tho. are you allowed to lunge ahead and give the guy a stomach jab / something similar.? you're allowed to attack below the waistline right?

ive seen few (not mainstream) MA styles that punches/attack the opponents knee that way. (snake style)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by carimari
    i wonder what is the equivalent to picking a dropshot would contribute to boxing tho. are you allowed to lunge ahead and give the guy a stomach jab / something similar.? you're allowed to attack below the waistline right?

ive seen few (not mainstream) MA styles that punches/attack the opponents knee that way. (snake style)

Ahh....re-read my post ......I am talking about foot work am I not?

No you are not allowed to hit below the waist line with a punch...only kicks but no lower than the knee.......exept for thai boxing.

I am talking about adaptation of footwork, and as this thread is about' whether doing martial arts can compliment badminton'.

Man you really need to learn how to read post properly before you question someone........snake style? I think you watch to many kung fu movies, If you lowered your head and body that low to punch a kickboxer in the knee that would be just suicide,lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MMMmmmm....maybe i mis-understood what you meant to say?
    sorry if that is the case.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Confucious say: "Bend down to get the knee and the knee comes to you. Fast."

But back to that boxer I talked about in my previous post. He was a friend of my master's (Kung Fu). We also practiced this grappling style called Shuai Jiao (I think that's how you spell it...). He found ways to combine his boxing footwork and boxing with that. He was fast enough to suddenly throw you to the ground if there was the smallest of openings. He particularily liked going for the legs, actually...

Just to say that if you can combine such distinct fighting styles together, I'm sure you can find tons of applications of MA in badminton.

Oh, and though the snake style was originally a style in itself, now it's more of a transition between two styles (forget which). It's extremely hard to find it or any documentation on it nowadays... It really wasn't the most efficient thing... They did, though, attack the knees a lot, but with kicks.

The basic idea was that if you broke a leg, an arm, or poked out eyes, or damaged the windpipe, etc... The fight was practically over.
    Last edited by PhoenixMateria; 03-05-2006 at 11:15 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default doing MA for 12 years

I am 15 years old and have been practicing martial arts ever since the age of 3. I'm going for my black belt this june . I just recently got into badminton last year and find both sports are very similiar, most of the reasons are in the previous posts.

MA is mental and physical, as stated before. I believe that the dedication from MA (practicing forms and sparring techniques for hours at a time) has helped me improve faster in badminton than my friends who are not into MA. They simply give up or practice without any spirit. If I "half-assed" it in my MA class I would have punishment to deal with (push-ups, sit ups, etc.).

During my MA sessions you were always expected to pay respect and listen to your Sensei. Things were not repeated in my class and if you didn't catch it the first time around the Sensei would think that you didn't want to learn. I applied this same mindset with my badminton coach. I notice that a lot of my teammates (on a high school team) fool around and do not pay any attention when the coach is explaining and teaching. I get disappointed since they are really just hurting themselves in the long run.

Footwork in badminton and in the style I practice are very different. I get in trouble all the time with my Sensei since I always find my heel up ready to lunge when the correct stance in my style is to keep the heel down for stability.

Overall I believe MA has helped my badminton in all aspects of the game, mental and physical.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LeoTheBearMan
    I am 15 years old and have been practicing martial arts ever since the age of 3. I'm going for my black belt this june . I just recently got into badminton last year and find both sports are very similiar, most of the reasons are in the previous posts.

MA is mental and physical, as stated before. I believe that the dedication from MA (practicing forms and sparring techniques for hours at a time) has helped me improve faster in badminton than my friends who are not into MA. They simply give up or practice without any spirit. If I "half-assed" it in my MA class I would have punishment to deal with (push-ups, sit ups, etc.).

During my MA sessions you were always expected to pay respect and listen to your Sensei. Things were not repeated in my class and if you didn't catch it the first time around the Sensei would think that you didn't want to learn. I applied this same mindset with my badminton coach. I notice that a lot of my teammates (on a high school team) fool around and do not pay any attention when the coach is explaining and teaching. I get disappointed since they are really just hurting themselves in the long run.

Footwork in badminton and in the style I practice are very different. I get in trouble all the time with my Sensei since I always find my heel up ready to lunge when the correct stance in my style is to keep the heel down for stability.

Overall I believe MA has helped my badminton in all aspects of the game, mental and physical.
    Is that Karate you're talking about?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is that Karate you're talking about?
    Yes, I practice Uechi Ryu Karate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tournaments held are usually extremely standardized. One of the reasons Karate and TaeKwon-Do are so popular in America is that they're simple, standart martial arts. You'll notice they're not very efficient in a real fight, either.

You have to dig deep in the world of martial arts to find good stuff these days... Most schools are more interested in selling their system and making it flashy than actually teaching people either art or an efficient system.

A lot of people these days take the same path: they learn all manners of martial arts and take what works for them. People take pride in that without realizing that they're actually a part of the masses.

That's why I'm making my own system now. Focus on efficiency and pure learning, not just copy-pasting what's already there...

Oh, and there's much more reflex involved in TaeKwon-Do sparring than any badminton doubles.
    Although i had written about MA's principles & application into badminton in other threads, they were just off topics tibits unlike here.

First, i havent learnt MA in practice but i think i have observe enough to know its principles. I'm too late to learn MA now so i only apply them in stringing, yes stringing I see bruce lee as a MA god since he revolutionized many of the old kung fu styles into one practical system. Yes there are chi and other folklore mythical power but that's outside BL realm and i wont talk about that.

What i have learnt and share with u today is 3 levels (not styles) of MA.

1. to learn, grasp and achieve all its glorious art forms, techniques and principles

2. to master certain moves that rewards points in standardized tournaments

3. to learn those skills that are needed in real street fighting for survival.

i can say many MA masters only possess 1 or 2 skill sets of above. Only a few supreme (true) masters possess all those 3 all around skills.

just like in badminton, real pros dont really use or show off all their skills in tournaments as they use just certain skills to maximum scores. If u watch the pros sparring among themselves outside the public audience settings, they will reveal more of their real and special skills.

In other threads i have spoken, i had argued with many here that speed is the supreme physical attribute to have in badminton just like in MA, with little success. Most said strategy and strokes skills(as they were dazzled by graphical effect instead of real core ability) were more important but after long back and forth debates where they only gave in saying they are equally important which i still say it is not equal.

since u guys have practice alot of kung fu and MA, would u say speed is king? (assuming mental factor assumed to be equal between layers/fighters, see my pyramid in my other thread).

In my conclusion, i present to u my ultimate exhibition. Stephen chow co-wrote, produced, directed and is main actor of this film. He idolized BL and made reference to BL in this and all his other kung fu movies.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...kung+fu+hustle

the beast is a kung fu master in real life, he would not say that if it conflict his kung fu principle either.

and we agreed that kung fu's principles equal to badminton principles, huh.. huh

er
    Last edited by cooler; 03-05-2006 at 03:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

btw, i only came to know that movie 1.5 weeks ago so(i dun watch that much movies) it has no influence on what i said before but rather i'm using it to support my case

i like to reword my last statement

What i have learnt and share with u today is 3 classes (not styles) of MA.
    Last edited by cooler; 03-05-2006 at 04:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cooler
    btw, i only came to know that movie 1.5 weeks ago so(i dun watch that much movies) it has no influence on what i said before but rather i'm using it to support my case

i like to reword my last statement

What i have learnt and share with u today is 3 classes (not styles) of MA.
    My main thing a few years back was TaeKwon-Do. In TaeKwon-Do, speed is king. It's pretty standardized, and sparring is either no contact or minimal contact.

In a real fight, however, you need power to go along with that. They can't hurt you if they can't touch you, and the basic sense of MA is to defend yourself. But if someone's in danger, you need to be able to put someone out quickly. Then again, you can't achieve anything if you lack speed.

I've learned much from the works of BL and many other sources over the years, along with personal experience in the MA. Though many other elements have taken much more importance, speed is still the penultimate skill to have in MA.

But back to BL... He didn't really "revolutionize many of the old kung fu styles into one practical system". He practically shunned Kung Fu, deeming it impractical, and only kept some basic principles from the Wing Chun form. He learned from other MA, but he ultimately created his own Way.

And Cooler... It's never too late to learn and practice MA. You see old geezers starting out in Tang Soo Do for health development and longer living, and it's as good an age and reason as anything else.

I practice MA for the competition, the practical uses, and because I love it. Just don't start doing Muay Thai if you have kneecap problems and such...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LeoTheBearMan

Keep your mind set the way it is.....at 15 you sound like you already understand discipline, respect, focus and self control. Many people never learn this in their entire life.
    You remind me as a kid a MA, I listened to my sensei with absolute focus and attention.........Your sensei knows which students will go far.
    If your friends cannot focus for five minutes on simple things like listening to their coach..............they have already lost focus on what they are there for!

You have a good attitute.........you will go far!

Excellent post!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cooler You have the CHI flow and bone structure of a true kung fu master!

S/chows Kungfu hustle......lol I love that film so funny.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keep your mind set the way it is.....at 15 you sound like you already understand discipline, respect, focus and self control. Many people never learn this in their entire life.
    You remind me as a kid a MA, I listened to my sensei with absolute focus and attention.........Your sensei knows which students will go far.
    If your friends cannot focus for five minutes on simple things like listening to their coach..............they have already lost focus on what they are there for!

You have a good attitute.........you will go far!

Excellent post!
    True. In my pyramid, mental supercede fitness/speed.

quiz: What supercede mental skill (which i had not talk about at all before)

hint: many have said it before but in generic term.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cooler You have the CHI flow and bone structure of a true kung fu master!

S/chows Kungfu hustle......lol I love that film so funny.
    mmm!!

lol, thank u. Do u have that buddist palm manual to sell to me
    and don't u over charge me
    Last edited by cooler; 03-05-2006 at 09:03 PM.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast