Market share of badminton companies?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by sihker, Jul 27, 2006.

1. sihker

sihker Regular Member

Well, a friend of mine asked to search for a market share article from the internet, because the wilson importer said, that wilson is no 2 badminton brand in the world.
    Didn't seem to be very realistic. But the problem is, there is no hard evidence.

Ok, Wilson claims to be the first in the world of racquetsport, but so what. And besides, its their derived statistics.

Any statistics about market share and companies? With great probability, yonex is the market leader. But who comes next, and I doubt the "small" china is very much into Wilson thing.

Thank you in advance :)

2. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Yes, it would be interesting to have some "real" sales figures :D..

In China my guess is that apart from the ovious nr.1 Yonex, all-chinese brands like SOTX and Kason is dominating. An interesting figure for china would be if "real" yonex sells more rackets than "fake" yonex :)

To me it seems like other brands are usuaklly big locally but not globally..

If we talk about brand recogintion i beleive Carlton may be nr.2 in badminton, but i don´t think todays sales figures are such a happy reading for carlton.

I doubt Wilson sells more badminton rackets than Kason, SOTX, Wilson, Babolat, Carlton. My guess is that there are sold more fake yonex-copies in asia than Wilsons worldvide ???

/T

3. hydrocyanic

hydrocyanic Regular Member

wasting my time
    excluding fake brands... i suspect at least one of the local brand in china will come up in the top 5 in sales...

yonex should be no.1 w/out doubt, it sell good globally

2nd place might be a battle between euro brand vs. chinese brand

then maybe wilson.. their racket sell good in NA for its recognition in other sports

4. event

event Regular Member

Yes, that question - what is no. 2 - is interesting. I can't help wondering what Wilson would be boasting about. My suspicion is that Yonex has about 70% of the market and the other companies are scrounging for scraps with the other 30% divided more or less evenly among Victor, Gosen, SOTX, Kason, Wilson, Carlton, Babolat, Mmoa, Pro Kennex and others. So if the market breaks down like that - 1. Yonex(70%) 2. Wilson(6%) 3. Carlton(5%) 4. ... - then what is Wilson bragging about? Also, I expect that Wilson's sales might come primarily from the mid-range or lower range in countries where tennis is popular so badminton novices know Wilson because that company is so big in tennis and they buy the brand they know but serious players choose high-end racquets from brands that specialize more in badminton. If Carlton were no. 2, I would have no such suspicions, although I might wonder how many schools like mine still order complete sets of the old blue Carlton 4.7 indestructible steel racquets and whether that might have helped their market share.

#4 event, Jul 27, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2006