OK, I'm new and this is my problem

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by treebone, Jul 27, 2006.

1. treebone

treebone Regular Member

I've been playing badminton for a few weeks on thursdays and sundays just to dtay fit. I'm quite tall, male, not built, thin, weak :/, or maybe its just my technique hehe.

I just want to stop annoying my uncle and his friend who are so much more better than me with my terrible play. They don't say anything but I can see they're getting sick of me :rolleyes:

I've tried getting behind the shuttle, and keeping my eye on the shuttle, and I'm going to try using my wrist more to get more power instead of swinging the racket five miles behind me before hitting it, they complain about that and they also say thatI don't move enough to get the shuttle, and both things are very true:eek: The things I did try did make improvement but it was very minor. I have trouble in getting power into my shots, I keep hitting weak high shots, and I can't do the surve that lands short, its always too high, and if its nit that its never long enough :/

yeah so has anyone got any advice? I'm going to play and I want to impress so that they don't feel too bad about taking me hehe.

2. coops241180

coops241180 Regular Member

Product Owner
    lol..

how old are you?

if you've only been playing a few weeks then i wouldn't fret - some people are just naturally better at it - but in a few weeks you'll pick it up.

your body just isn't used to moving the way it needs to. this will come with more play.

hope this is a little reassurance.

Coops

3. treebone

treebone Regular Member

well actually its been about a month, and I'm 16:D So do you think I'm being rushed?

4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    If you are seriously considering to improve, you need get properly trained. Check if any local badminton club offer coaching, get a reputable coach for either group or private lessons. Get tutored by other players could be tricky sometimes, as I have no idea as how they play. They are better than you, does not mean they do things correctly. Therefore, I think a proper start (get a reputable coach) is the way to go at the beginning. Once you learned the proper strokes and footwork, and successfully adopted into your own game, you will see the difference. ;)

Don't rush, as it takes time and a lot of effort. :)

5. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Like LB said, get a coach or get into beginner lessons. Once you master the basics (grip, footwork, proper shot execution), you'll be surprised how much better you've become and the game comes a lot easier. Most of all, be patient–Rome wasn't built in a day. Good luck :)

6. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

get in shape to play badminton. not the other way around, it doesnt work out so well.

7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I agree with your point.

However, I don't think that's his main issue. To his current less competitive level of playing, I don't think his physical condition is anywhere to be an disadvantage. Technique and experience is what he lacks of. :rolleyes:

8. Eurasian =--(O)

ya i totally agree. i just wanted to bust that out. it sounds badass. :D

9. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Lol... I see i see... :p

10. treebone

treebone Regular Member

so I shouldn't play badminton to excercise, wha?? Or did you just think it sounded badass hehe! I focused on grip, wrist movement and footwork a LOT more today and the improvement was instant! I wasn't weak at all, It was great and I really had a great time, and my uncle said I played a lot better! But footwork was the real key to my success, I can't be bothered to get a coach. I mean I'm doin this for fun, I wanna become an artist when I'm older and thats where my focus in life is. Alright thats waaaaaay of topic, have you guys got any drills tips, techniques for footwork. Other than stay on your toes, and shift your body weight to your front foot? Kun's (sp?) articles have also been really interesting, thanks dood!

#10 treebone, Jul 27, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2006
  11. Hagane

Hagane Regular Member

Transport Consultant
    Many people try to use badminton as a way to get fit. That's.. baaad (I'm guilty of it :p).

For footwork: Split step as the opponent is making his play. Don't make assumptions on where they're going to place the shuttle (unless they are that predictable :p)

Practice hard for your footwork (be it chasse or cross step). :)
    Good footwork is the basis of all your shots :)

12. Monster

Monster Regular Member

Treebone: Phase I - Give yourself more time and try to play with the better players if they don't mind. Make sure you don't get demoralised by picking up the shuttles often and be ready to accept criticisms and take them as pointers.

Phase II - Notice what other players have that you don't have. When you have experienced different situations and have noticed them, do search here in BC about them. Ask questions. Most importantly, experiment them !

Phase III - Hone your strokes, touch up on every skills you have. Learn to play deception shots and observe "smart" shot placements or deceptions or skills from pros. Participate in tournaments in schools.

Phase IV and beyond - Wow ! I am not here yet. hahaha !

13. lightsmash

lightsmash Regular Member

Target board
    Do alot of stroking from baseline to baseline until u are very very comfortable to do deep clears. :eek:

14. Iwan

Iwan Regular Member

Repetition makes wonders, just keep practicing your footwork and strokes by doing shadow badminton. You might want to do to a single corner for 10 repetition per set x 3set for a start. Then work your way up to 2 corner for 10 repetition per corner per set x 3set.

As for hand eye coordination, you can play against the wall, varying the height of your shots depending on whether you want to play an underarm shot or an over head shot.

Other than that, play as much as you can ;) since you're not interested in training with a coach.

15. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student

i also aimed to get fit through badminton, before i found is fun and began to play more serious. But i did succeed in improving my shuttle-run, standing broad jump and my stamina since i started playing badminton

16. madman

madman Regular Member

......this sounds stupid, but I leanrt that using a cane (those that we asians use to abuse out kids :) ) would improve the swing. Swing it as you would a racket until you can hear the "swish" sound & repeat many more times, imagining you are doing clears, lifts and smashes. Very stupid indeed but it worked for me in the past. :)

17. treebone

treebone Regular Member

Wow I hardly understand any of the jargon you guys are using : D Oh and I've got a question, how do you generate enough power to send the shuttle to the back of the court when you're doing an underarm shot? Whenever I try it just ends up hanging in the air and I get smashed : D

#17 treebone, Jul 28, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2006
  18. lightsmash

lightsmash Regular Member

Target board
    I pity your kids. :(

19. Eurasian =--(O)

just work on the angle you hit underhand on. When you get better you can lift basically anywhere, its hard though and you have to do lots of bicep curls - especially if your lifting off a net roll. Its like serving kind of. A lot of it has to do with timing, when you get the timing the rest is strength or snapping ability.

20. treebone

treebone Regular Member

ah angle, so if I hit it almost horizontal it generates more speed and will easily go to the back>?