why is it always the asuncions?

Discussion in 'MVP Cup 2006' started by zlespace, Jul 27, 2006.

1. zlespace

zlespace Regular Member

Revenue Manager
    so depressing that the philippine team only sends the asuncions to international badminton... there's so much out there who can play the game very well and excel in the international field... its a big blow for the Asian team in the MVP cup when they've lost since the score points were higher on that 3rd day... :mad:

2. guitar_pic

guitar_pic Regular Member

MIS Sales Consultant
    Hmmm....FYI

Uh, just to let you know, even thought they represent the Philippines during international tournaments, most of the time they are going at their own expense. (eg. they paid their own way when they came to Vancouver for the Canadian open)

I guess now they have more sponsors to help them shoulder the expenses, but it's not as if the PBA actually is doing anything to actually help them.

If anyone of the other local pros want to look for sponsors to help send them to play international tournaments, they are more than welcome to do so.

3. guitar_pic

MIS Sales Consultant
    One other thing.......

I don't think you should be blaming them for losing at the MVP cup. Sure the loss contributed to Europe winning, but they are the pair that had the best chance of winning. I don't think any other players in the current player pool would have done any better.

4. bratinella

bratinella Regular Member

Well said guitar_pic.

BTW are you a Filipino?

5. guitar_pic

MIS Sales Consultant
    Nahhh....

Nahhh....just a Jamacan fan who loves Kennie :eek: . Heh heh just kidding. Yup I'm a flip (that's what we call ourselves here in Canada). I've been following the rise in popularity of Badminton in the Philippines for the past several years, and I can honestly say that the Asuncions have been representing us pinoys pretty well in the international circuit.

If only the PBA got their heads out of their butts and actually concentrated on training and supporting local players we could have had a stronger impact internationally a long time ago.

6. dony_X

dony_X Regular Member

the philippine team DOES not send players regularly to international competitions. because they don't have funds. like what guitar said, the asuncions are not being sent by the philippine team, they are going to international competitions on their own expense. so it's not the philippine team's fault that the asuncions are the only ones going to international competitions.

7. dony_X

dony_X Regular Member

guitar, you know how it is here. it's always politics, and the "eternal" lack of support from the government and lack of funding. another problem of the PBA is that they can't seem to "upgrade" their training system. they can't hire good foreign coaches to have a better training program.

8. guitar_pic

MIS Sales Consultant
    Sigh

This is why I am thankful that the Asuncions have found a lot of support from the corporate sector. I really think that depending on the PBA to do anything would be hopeless for now.

If any of the other Filipino pros would like to see more international exposure, then WORK for it. Look for sponsors. I don't think this is a hard thing to do. You just need to keep looking.

You know, it's just sad when you look at how well the other countries badminton association support their players. We are the only ones that place a heavy burden on the actual athlete. And people wonder how come we can't produce more players? Jeezzzzzzz.

9. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Well the best of Asia.. good thing MVP is the sponsor. If not i don't think the Asuncions will be able to represent Team Asia. But its also good to expose the Asuncions to the world.

10. guitar_pic

MIS Sales Consultant
    Hmm

I actually think it's a little bit of the reverse. Think about it, if it was not for the exposure that the Asuncions gave the philippines do you think we would be able to have the MVP cup? It might still have come to pass, but it might have been at a different place like Hong Kong.

11. asuncion_03

asuncion_03 Regular Member

yeah!! thats right.. we dont have funds for that.. they owe their expenses..
    thats why they like tournaments to be played here..:crying: :cool:

12. smashmouth

smashmouth Regular Member

banker
    I think we should also consider that many of these national players also need to earn a living. Most of them badminton trainers for kids and after-office/weekend athletes like us. If they spend, let's say a month abroad (e.g. China, indonesia) to train for a major tournament, they would forego of their income from training others.

13. crosstrainer

crosstrainer Regular Member

IT consultant
    a truthful statement, but a tad to cold for a filipino to read.

we're just thankful for MVP's generosity and for the Asuncion's skills, otherwise there won't be a filipino contingent playing @ the mvp cup nor will there be an MVP cup in the first place.