racket for intermediate 13yr old

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by JtheBest, Jul 27, 2006.

1. JtheBest

JtheBest Regular Member

I'll be honest with you guys. I love badminton but never really got into racket types until recently, so I have no clue on which ones are best for me. I've been using a MP23 with commercial strings, which isn't all that bad, but I'd like to take my game one step further with a good racket.

I'm pretty good for my age and have around $250 CAD to spare. I'd like to see better results with my clears and even more powerful smashes. I really have no clue on head type and stiff and soft as I've been using MP23 with commercial strings for as long as I can remember.

P.S.: Please don't suggest getting coach/lessons. I'm doing both.
    Thx to all help!

2. fifteen luv

fifteen luv Regular Member

maybe your coach can give you some tips as you are learning with him/her and as he/she is nearer to know your ability and style of play to know which type suit you better.

3. hydrocyanic

hydrocyanic Regular Member

wasting my time
    hmm, go work out and get a fitness trainer, hows that? :p

or try to get your racket restring and see how you like it after before investing another one?

you might want to look at a flexible+endloaded racket

stiff racket... while they have good control, will tire you out in no time on the rear end of the court

forget about sotx, unless you are strong, or a hulk at 13 :D

i just want to say kason... just to be consistent with my recent threads, lol

good player might not know about racket as much as the neophilliac on the net though, heh

as with many people will say, try what your friend(s) have first

4. JtheBest

JtheBest Regular Member

Well, that's just it. Everyone around me seem to have these awesome armortecs and mp99s. I hang out with some pretty rich people and even though I can usually beat them I still feel a better racket gives me a better edge.

And I feel restringing a mp23 is just a waste of money.

5. hydrocyanic

wasting my time
    wear a hat that fits you, bigger != better :p

mp44/66/88 are not bad, if you insist on the royal brand
    or at300
    at500 if you are strong

this is assuming if you are playing single

6. CoolDoo6

CoolDoo6 Regular Member

If you have the money, buy the MP99. The difference between MP99 and your existing reacket should be immediately apparent when you try it. The Ashaway MicroLegend XL string at lowish tension should give you that extra bounce.

7. jerby

jerby Regular Member

mp99 might be too stiff, no offence JtheBest but if I can compare myself at your age (I won 20+ prizes in 3 years in junior tournaments below-13 and below 15..some more below 17..now I play with he big boys;))
    I couldn't really flex my mp77 (new, at that time)

I think you should restring your racket. not any fancy tension or anything (like 28lbs:p)
    Aks your coach/stringer/local expert what tension your current racket is (let them have a feel) and ask the stringer to string it 2lbs higher than that. I hope it'll play better.

Or, if you really insist on buying a new high-end model. go try soem fancy rackets your friends play with. aks them what models/strings/tensions..

People in your direct enviroment can help you a lot more than us, armchair critics:eek:

8. storkbill

storkbill Regular Member

You can try a NS9000 S.

After that you realise that your friends are driven to badminton sessions in Porsches, Mercedes S class, BMW 7 series... what next?

9. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    If you have CND250 to spend, I think most high end rackets (yonex or not) might be afforable to you. Try to borrow / rent as many different ones (not limit to yonex) as possible, and demo them. Then, pick the best one you think it is.

It's hard to give suggestion blindly... :cool:

10. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i like to add to that list lexus and cadillac from what I've seen;)

11. hydrocyanic

wasting my time
    maybe they have maybach? enzo? carreraGT? zonda?

:p

12. CoolDoo6

CoolDoo6 Regular Member

With so many cars to choose from, I think it is best to borrow from you friends and drive them around to see which is best for you. Cars are like rackets, just because one is powerful for other people doesn't mean it is powerful for you.

13. customerservice

customerservice Regular Member

you have got a big budget, try ns9000 then, l have sold many ns9000 to my cutomer, no one complain with my suggestion

14. CoolDoo6

CoolDoo6 Regular Member

I have only seen beginner/weak players using NS9K up to now. Would they know enough about rackets to complain ?

15. storkbill

storkbill Regular Member

I think I saw Zhang Ning and Gao Ling using NS9000 at this year's Aviva Open. Oh no, it's a girls racquet :)

I think that the NS9000S is a lovely beginner's racquet because of it's great feel when hitting the shuttle and the feedback that you get.. helps beginners like me learn when I'm hitting the shuttle properly. It easily eclipses the MP88, my previous favourite beginner's racquet.

Maybe intermediates like the threadstarter can get some use out of it as well.

16. customerservice

customerservice Regular Member

ns 9000 is not just for beginer

Ha ha, may be it is different in our place or in my shop. In HOng Kong, the beginer would not spend so much money to buy such racket. Most of the ns9000 buyer had played badminton for 5-6 years. l have also tried ns9000 before, the feeling is v.good. But l didn't change my racket, because l think it is expensive:crying:

17. CoolDoo6

CoolDoo6 Regular Member

From what I can tell, in my area at least, only beginners are attracted to the most expensive rackets. I was guilty of the same when I was a beginner.

18. storkbill

storkbill Regular Member

I agree, I'm surprised there is noticeable difference in 'feel' of an NS9000 vs my other racquets. Yonex must realise that there is a market for expensive racquets suitable for beginner :)

p.s. edit ZN/GL at Mal Open with Ns9000 not SO.

19. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I think that result might be part of the business strategy as well. The store owners tend to promote the new/more expensive models to the customers. Therefore, the less experienced (regarding to equipment selection) ones might be hooked to the new "features", and tend to make a quick decision. :rolleyes:

20. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Ok, I am here late. How about some thing a little cheaper like AT500 or MP88 like other suggested (may be Cab30ms) for Jthebeast. My logic behind this is he can buy 2 same racquets and use one for backup. May be 1 AT500 and 1 MP88 if he likes both?