Cool Down after Games

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by meeya, Jul 28, 2006.

1. meeya

meeya Regular Member

When training, coaches always tell us to warm up before playing then cooling down by stretching after games/training. When actually playing though, there are queues and sometimes it takes 30 mins to an hour before we get to play again. Should we then, stretch or cool down between games and not just in the beginning and end? Someone told me no because then we would have to warm up again before the next game. What do you guys think?

#1 meeya, Jul 28, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2006
  2. crosscourt

crosscourt Regular Member

Legal
    Hi Meeya, where is i.p?

I think the process of warming up and cooling down are essentially the same thing. I have the same warm up and cool down routine of stretched and movements.

If I have 30-60 mins between games I would try and 'stay warm' by moving around, some light stretching etc. Be careful of over stretching and hurting yourself though. You could also put on a pair of tracksuit bottoms and long-sleeve top to retain body heat

Hope that's of some help.

3. meeya

meeya Regular Member

thanks crosscourt :) that cleared it up for me. i.p stands for island in the pacific :) where i would rather be than in the office :D

4. robc06

robc06 Regular Member

Editor
    I always try and stay warm between games a tournaments at times we have an hour or more between games, so I put on a tracksuit and stretch every 15-20mins. Not a lot just a few strecthes to keep the muscles from stiffening.

The hamstrings, calves, quads and shouder muscles ae the major muscles you should try and keep warm.

Sometimes I will jump on a free court and have a quick hit up.

5. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    extremely important. Can improve the game with out it.
    rgds

6. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    Its very important to keep warm between games in a tournament personally i put on a pair of track pants and a sweater to keep warm and well i will usually take some time for a quick jog around the complex where im playing and will also make sure i keep streching. Its important to always be streaching though so after a game i will have a good strech and then make sure to keep warm and then will make sure i strech before my next game. It takes about 5-10 min to do that but its alot better than risking getting injured.

7. JRMTL

JRMTL Regular Member

Math teacher and coach at Univesity of Montreal
    If you know apporximately when you'll start again, then you should begin to warm up about 15 minutes prior to your match. It includes 5 minutes of general jogging and 10 minutes of specific warming up exercices for badminton.

JRMTL