Pan hand grip

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by becoolboy, Jul 28, 2006.

1. becoolboy

becoolboy Regular Member

hi, i am a begineer who has just started baddy. i hav been comparing for a while the difference between a pan hand grip n a forehand grip, n i seriously cant tell the difference... can any1 help me o post an image o something.

n btw, do tricep n bisep curl improve ur forehand n backhand str for better smashing n all?

thx in advance

2. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

I have no idea where to get pics. When you hold the racket with a straight arm in front of you with straigh wrist this is the difference.

Panhandle - the racket face will be open, you will be able to see the strings
    Normal - you will not be able to see the strings, the racket head will be turned

Panhandle is basically not turning the racket handle in your wrist
    Normal is the racket turned 90 degrees in your hand.

Although there are times when panhandle grip is good to use they are rare and as a beginner you should concentrate on using the correct grip.

3. bchaiyow

bchaiyow Regular Member

Do a search on Gollum's Grip guide. It has different pics for different grips including pan handle.

bchaiyow

4. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

5. chessymonkey

chessymonkey Regular Member

comp tech
    picture the differece
    how u hold a pan while frying eggs
    how u hold a knife when u need to cut apples..
    that would be the general difference between a pan handle and a forehand grip

6. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

Next time you pick up a frying pan, look at how you're holding on to it.

Now, imagine that you're going to use this frying pan to chop through a cardboard box or something like that (don't do it for real, no need to harm a good frying pan). What do you do? You turn your grip 90 degrees so that you'll be striking with the edge of the pan.

7. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

thats a great analogy!

8. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

This is another example that demonstrates why I need to improve the grips guide! It's easy to understand if you already know the grips, but otherwise it can be hard to see the difference.

Panhandle: lay the racket on the ground. Now pick it up without changing the angle.

Forehand: like shaking hands with the racket, or holding an axe. Actually, this angle is not quite right, but it is much better than panhandle.

9. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

Generally, bicep curls and tricep extensions will mostly benefit the size of your arms- do enough of them and after a while they'll begin to look much larger than they do now in terms of proportional size with respect to your body. Think about it though, large muscular arms on a scrawny torso - looks pretty comical if you ask me, though you see it in the gyms frequently. For strength, best to work on compound movements like presses and pulls/rows, they'll develop your general strength (and size if you want it) to a much greater degree.

As for improving you strength for better smashing, check out this thread I started about some training methods:

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35016