User Tag List

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: 2006 US Open

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Day 4 - Semifinals Day - Some pics and review (part 7)

...here are more..notice in 2 of the pics(#10 & 11), Dremin was talking to the umpire & seen taking back his racket from the bag. That conversation occured after the play where he tried to do a Tony Gunawan imitation by changing the racket in the middle of the play..Even Tony and Halim were a bit surprised after that play, both were smiling..
    Attached Images Attached Images                              

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thx for the photos chris, they look less blurry than the first batch. Was it because u changed the iso to 400?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cooler
    thx for the photos chris, they look less blurry than the first batch. Was it because u changed the iso to 400?
    Quote Originally Posted by ctjcad
    Off topic:I think i've given it my best after trying certain settings. i can't change the ISO nor the LT exposure...

Must be just a steadier hand

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by **KZ**
    wow....the russians are pretty good....i guess badminton is really getting more and more popular....
    Bdminton is more popular in Russia than most countries and Russians had been good in badminton for a long time. This is not something new. Russians were consistantnly ranked #4 or #5 in Europe in the 1990's behind Denmark, Sweden, and England. They have dropped to about #6 now behind Netherlands, and Germany; but that happens. This current performance is really not an indication of badminton becoming more popular in anywhere.
    Last edited by dropper; 08-12-2006 at 06:01 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what time does the final start? i havent seen any final results yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

looks like all the scores are up except Gunawan/Haryanto's... where's ctjcad with the live posts via mobile phone/PDA

hope he has/had a chance to chat with Gunawan about his plans for the future.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gunawan/Haryanto victorious as expected, 21-10 21-19

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All the finals have been completed. Team Russia is the big winner of the US Open 2006, with 3 titles in the bag. The first match of the final saw Sergey Ivlev/Nina Vislova beating their compatriot Vitaly Durkin/Valerya Sorokina in 3 sets 15-21, 21-15, 21-13. Later on, the two Russian girls (Nina Vislova/Valerya Sorokina) won their women's doubles final by beating Marina Yakusheva/Ella Karachkova 21-15, 21-18. Vitaly Durkin had to settle for two silvers as he and his partner (Alexander Nikolaenko) lost to the ex World and All-England Champion pairing of Tony Gunawan/Halim Haryanto 10-21, 19-21. This is their 3rd titles after pairing up once again since last year (with golds in Bitburger and Chinese Taipei Opens 2005). Remember that Tony also won golds with Howard Bach in the World Championships 2005 and with Candra Wijaya in the Indonesia Open 2006. He also won the mixed doubles event of the Chinese Taipei Open 2005 with Cheng Wen-Hsing after beating the first seeded pair of Lee Jae Jin/Lee Hyo Jung. So, it has been a fruitful 12 months for Tony Gunawan.

In the men's singles, there was no upset as the top seed Yousuke Nakanishi triumphed over Andrew Dabeka 21-16, 21-13. In the women's singles, the top seed Ella Karachkova also won the gold after her opponent (Johannah Lee) retired (probably due to injury?) at the interval of the first set when the score was 11-6.

To round up, we have been pretty surprised with the emergence of the Russians in the US Open 2006. Will they start to come to Asia and compete with the best or will they compete only in the European tournaments as before? We shall await...
    Last edited by badMania; 08-12-2006 at 11:46 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that's good played from halim haryanto and tony gunawan......

they both set up (tony front & halim back) to force their opponent to clear and halim just got easy smash....

the russian player can't even return the smash from halim......

but when the russian player smash tony and halim always returned it back.... about 3 or 4 commbination smash from them (russia) finally got one point.....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Off topic-Yes...well, part of it..

Quote Originally Posted by monto
    Must be just a steadier hand
    yes & yes....i did changed the ISO to 400, but also was able to sit up closer to the court and able to steady my hand for the shots...but still, it's not as good, as i think my "weapon" is def. not up to par...hope next time i'll do this, i can get a better digicam, prefer to still have a point and shoot type though, but maybe will get an SLR-like type with a zoom lens that can go up to 300mm+....
    anyways, will upload some more remaining pics of the SF days and the Finals day...stay tune..
    Last edited by ctjcad; 08-13-2006 at 12:38 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

looks like all the scores are up except Gunawan/Haryanto's... where's ctjcad with the live posts via mobile phone/PDA

hope he has/had a chance to chat with Gunawan about his plans for the future.
    hehe, noo, i wish if i have that advanced tech with me..

Anyways, as promised earlier, i asked Tony & Halim quickly abt their upcoming plans, just before i left, and Tony said he WILL attend BOTH the HK Open as well as the Korean Open...As for Halim, he said, no he will not go to either tournaments..Hope that's what you're inquiring abt..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ctjcad
    hehe, noo, i wish if i have that advanced tech with me..

Anyways, as promised earlier, i asked Tony & Halim quickly abt their upcoming plans, just before i left, and Tony said he WILL attend BOTH the HK Open as well as the Korean Open...As for Halim, he said, no he will not go to either tournaments..Hope that's what you're inquiring abt..
    Thanks for checking on this sir! Any chance Tony mentioned the World Championships? Presumably both the HK and Korea tourneys will be with Candra
    Last edited by monto; 08-13-2006 at 12:49 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK guys, just came back from the Finals day of the U.S. Open...When i arrived, was quite surprised that the venue barely has some people..Even as the night progressed, the venue didn't fill up as much as it could-even from both sides of the benches..Anyways, will have lotsa pics and some review in a bit, but will reply to badMania's post first..
    Quote Originally Posted by badMania
    All the finals have been completed. Team Russia is the big winner of the US Open 2006, with 3 titles in the bag. The first match of the final saw Sergey Ivlev/Nina Vislova beating their compatriot Vitaly Durkin/Valerya Sorokina in 3 sets 15-21, 21-15, 21-13. Later on, the two Russian girls (Nina Vislova/Valerya Sorokina) won their women's doubles final by beating Marina Yakusheva/Ella Karachkova 21-15, 21-18. Vitaly Durkin had to settle for two silvers as he and his partner (Alexander Nikolaenko) lost to the ex World and All-England Champion pairing of Tony Gunawan/Halim Haryanto 10-21, 19-21. This is their 3rd titles after pairing up once again since last year (with golds in Bitburger and Chinese Taipei Opens 2005). Remember that Tony also won golds with Howard Bach in the World Championships 2005 and with Candra Wijaya in the Indonesia Open 2006. He also won the mixed doubles event of the Chinese Taipei Open 2005 with Cheng Wen-Hsing after beating the first seeded pair of Lee Jae Jin/Lee Hyo Jung. So, it has been a fruitful 12 months for Tony Gunawan.
    ..after watching the XD Final, i thought the 2nd best, or most arguably the "best" Men's player for the Russian team is Ivlev..Boy, the guy has all the shots covered:ie. smash and esp. his backhand, very2 strong in comparison to Durkin's..Then i thought, perhaps Ivlev could've paired with Durkin in MD, but maybe Ivlev's game is probably more suited for a single game...Same thing with Karachkova, she tried playing WD, but i can see her technique more suited for a single game..(will comment later and have some pics)..
    In the men's singles, there was no upset as the top seed Yousuke Nakanishi triumphed over Andrew Dabeka 21-16, 21-13. In the women's singles, the top seed Ella Karachkova also won the gold after her opponent (Johannah Lee) retired (probably due to injury?) at the interval of the first set when the score was 11-6.
    ..it's too bad Johanna had to W.O. in the Final..She tried her best, but i guess it wasn't meant to be..Wise move, as she accepted the loss graciously with the fans giving her a big round of applause for her effort..(will have more comments later and pics)..
    To round up, we have been pretty surprised with the emergence of the Russians in the US Open 2006. Will they start to come to Asia and compete with the best or will they compete only in the European tournaments as before? We shall await...
    yes, they really took advantage of an already weak field of players(with the absence of Minarti Timur, Lili Wang etc.)..all they've got to go from here is up..

Alright, that's all for now..stay tune for the pics and my brief review of the Finals day later(will have quite a bit, so hope you all can be patient)..
    Last edited by ctjcad; 08-13-2006 at 01:10 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

was tony using his mp100?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for checking on this sir! Any chance Tony mentioned the World Championships? Presumably both the HK and Korea tourneys will be with Candra
    sorry, did not ask him abt his plan for the WC...but yes, barring any last minute changes, he will play with Candra in those tournaments..

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

was tony using his mp100?
    i believe he was..if not, he surely has it handy right next to the court..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Tony Gunawan will soon join Danish Club

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast