ThaiOpen Results, double vs single, the most dominate players...

Discussion in 'Macau Open / Thailand Open 2006' started by 2cents, Jul 30, 2006.

1. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Landlording, providing vacation homes at Disney wo
    Chinese took 2 single titles while Koreans took the 3 doubles.

It looks obvious that China strong in singles, while Koreans strong in doubles, you cannot deny that by saying Lee HI was #1 for a week in history ;) ;) ;)

I checked this, it is Chen Hong who ranking the #1 for the whole year of 2003. What an achievement for Chen Hong! Lee HL was not even a single week, not close to it either! Even you did verification, you should point out that it was Chen Hong who's so dominate in the year 2003, but unfortunately you never mention a single word. :confused: :confused:

Thanks for your clarification. Now we know Lee HI was #1 for just a week in history, not almost one year.

There are tons of players ranked #1 for a week, even Rosline #1 for more than 1 week, even #1 entering the WC, but few ranked #1 for almost a year. If some one ranked #1 for almost year, or even several month, that's his era. He's the most dominate player. From my memory and checking, since I paid attention to badminton, The following players are the most dominate players:

Peter Gade, Sun Jun, Chen Hong, and Lin Dan.

Especially, Gade has be active in the top for many,many years. Partly because he's good always, partly because Chinese players have to be forced to retire when they are not that old. Gade may have always around the top for the longest, but Lin Dan is like the longest stable number 1, and he is still dominating, the question is who will be the next? start from when?

2. TKG2609

TKG2609 Regular Member

but if i m not mistaken ... chen hong always have some difficulties beat top players like hendrawan, taufik, peter gade, wong choon han, lee cw n others chinese players (like xia xuanze, lindan)

3. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Maybe you are right, but anyone has some difficulties to beat top players, because they are top players. Chen has won each of them before definitely, but the winning rate may vary depend on each opponent.

In terms of ranking, here are the best:
    Gade, Sun Jun, Chen Hong, Lin Dan

In terms of winner of Olympics and WC (even though Gade and I do not think they are more valuable than other high level opens), here are the winners:

Sun Jun (cannot remember before Sun), Ji Xinpeng, Hendrawan, Xia XZ, Taufic (anyone else missing?)

It is so hard to rank players by beating top players though.;)

#3 2cents, Jul 30, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2006
  4. jerby

jerby Regular Member

since when does only the #1 spot count?

5. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Chen Hong has some difficulties to won top players, but he did won all of them before. Winning rate is different for each opponent.

According to IBF head 2 head,
    Chen Hong vs Lee CW: 5:3 (won 5, lost 3)
    Chen Hong vs Xia XZ: 2:1
    Chen Hong vs Lin Dan: 5:4
    Chen Hong vs Wong CH: 4:4

6. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

The question is: what counts in your mind?

There are only two basic methods, one is objective, the other is subjective. If you insist who is the best because you just think so, then no one can change it, and no one needs to change to. :cool:

#6 2cents, Jul 30, 2006
  7. jerby

jerby Regular Member

no no, that's not what I mean....

people say LHY doesn't count because he's only been #1 for a week. (I dunno where the CH talk started...) and therefor meaning korea is a 'doubles country'
    even though LHY onyl stood #1 for a week, he's still a force to be reckoned with..
    Kenneth Jonassen has been on the #1 spot since...well..did he ever? and he still whoops some ass here and there...

so that's where my post "only #1?" came from...being in the top 10 consistently is also an achievement...

8. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Sorry if misunderstood you :eek: :eek:

Any body could win, not just the #1. You are right. I agree. Chen Yu can win it even ranked at 25th. (he should not be that low, just because fewer tournaments played)

The original question is: why Korea is so dominate in doubles, but not singles? (something like that)

then the question changed to: whether Korea's single is not as good as doubles?

then the question changed to: Is Lee HI #1 for almost a year around 2003?

then the question changed to: Who's the most dominate player?

then the question changed to: since when does only the #1 spot count? (yours) :rolleyes:

9. jerby

jerby Regular Member

the thread with an everchaning subject...great:D

as for korea's singles-doubles. it might be just temporary..If a new single-talent from korea hits the road in the WC this thread will die a quick death;)

it's more of a matter of talent scouting. If PG hadn't played all of denkmarks pride would be in doubles...it's actually a question of sheer luck if a wountry has scouted such an extremely talented and motivated player (ánd have the means o train them)

10. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

good point, and interesting view.:D

11. TKG2609

TKG2609 Regular Member

start from 1995, i think the top players are : poul erik, heryanto arbi, joko supriyanto, dong jiong, sun jun, peter gade, hendrawan, wong choon han, lee chongwei, lindan, xia xuanze, taufik hidayat ...

12. Will Ko

Will Ko Regular Member

Part-time Student, Full-time Badminton wanabee
    I don't think LCW should be on that list yet, he's only just broken into the the top 3 this year, before that there was still a debate between him and wong choong hann of 'who's the better in malaysia'.

All the others have been consistent at number one or has reached a olympic or WC final. LCW hasn't made it to any of them finals and hasn't been consistent at #1 just yet, whereas; like all the others listed, but the signs look good for the future for him! As for Lee hyun il, there isn't a better left hander then him behind lin dan, bao chunlai at the moment is really out of form.

Chen Hong needs to be added to that list though. He's probably got the best technique in all aspects then any other player, and ruled the circuit!

#12 Will Ko, Jul 30, 2006
  13. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

You are right, Will Ko.

I feel a lot people here don't like Chen Hong, I remember that some one said here before that he did not like CH, because he played like a zombie. Maybe this is the reason.

Talking about someone won big. Ji XP should also be included. Although he's around very shortly, but even in that very short time, he has won several titles in Europe, beside Olympics rehearsal: Japan open and the finally the Olympics. He and Xia XZ had beat Hendrawan and Taufik continuously in Europe (including All England, right?). Think about the short time he played, think again how many titles Hendrawan and Taufik have won in Europe in so many years.