playing above yourself

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by robc06, Jul 31, 2006.

1. robc06

robc06 Regular Member

Editor
    Have you ever played in a tournament no matter what grade you are in, and played above yourself?

This week I have to Tassie titles, entered into C Grade singles and doubles. Double I have a real shot to win, I won the Hobart doubles final and made the City of Launceston finals.

But singles there are three players who are ranked above me who I have lost too in every tournament.

I want to play above myself and win the Tassie Singles, I beleive I have the skills to do it, I just don't know how I am going to play agressive, defend, play both games.

I am going to have to play above myself to win the singles, has anyone played above themselves and how do you go about it? Its 90% mental focus and 10% skills would that be right?

advice wanted about focus and playing

#1 robc06, Jul 31, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2006
  2. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Oh... I miss the Hobart court. Played there in 1991. Nice place. Just keep training mate. You'll get there. Work hard all the time whenever you train. It'll help you in real tournaments. Go you tiger!
    rgds

3. robc06

robc06 Regular Member

Editor
    THANKS, Hobart is a great place!!!

Tassie Titles are this weekend coming...I have in the past few months these are the results, 18-21, 23-21, 15-21. And #2 I lost two weeks ago during the Winter roster, 15-21, 18-21 and the #3 seed last time we played I won 27-25.

4. jerby

jerby Regular Member

well, the wya you're actign now..you're putting too much pressure on yourself...

think of it like this: What do you have to lose? you already lost a couple of times to them. people almost expect you to lose. It's up to your opponents to show they're better, there's no pressure on you!
    You're the underdog, there's no better position thatn that if you want to play wihtout stress....

also, if you want to peak: keep an eye on nutrition and fluid intake. and make sure you excercise a bit (don't exhaust yoursel, just do something, to keep you in shape) every day. and take it easy the day before the tourney.

And remeber: even if you do lose..what's gonna change? everything went like eveyrbody expected, you cán't lose anyting, so why worry? just try to be all you can be...