do ou use a only one type of grip while playing?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by shining_dragon, Jul 31, 2006.

1. shining_dragon

shining_dragon Regular Member

You know, there are many ways of how you handle a racket while playing. Are you using a single grip in the entire game (for example, you use backhand grip when you're playing) or you change the type of grip depending where the shuttlecock is(for example, if the shuttlecock is on your lower left side, you use backhand grip, when it's at you upper right side, you use forehand etc...)?

2. chessymonkey

chessymonkey Regular Member

comp tech
    yap and u should do so as well
    changing grip depends on the situation is necessary

3. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

always play with your grip so its comfortable. there is a big difference between backhand and forehand grips to get the most power. Also when at the net in doubles many professionals switch to a little more pan handle grip.

4. schuweiz

schuweiz Regular Member

personally use different kinds of grip throughout the entire game. Changing grip angles enables you to generate different shots. Well, sometimes you just don't think of how you steer the angle while you play, you just do it automatically... lol:D... but make sure you think-pause-hit, you sort of get a hang of it after a while and then you won't be getting 'tired' thinking of you're turning the grip at the right angle... lol:p

5. jolunewbie

jolunewbie Regular Member

student
    I use different grips. For serving backhand, serving forehand, Forehand grip, Backhand grip and Chinese grip for smashing. Just practice and soon your hands will automatically change grips.

6. shining_dragon

shining_dragon Regular Member

does it hard for you to change your grips when hitting the shuttlecock bec for me it is. It takes time for me to change from backhand to forehand then forehand to backhand etc

7. jerby

jerby Regular Member

different grips.
    first step (beginning) is differentiating between forehand and backhand grip for forehand/backhand shots

then differentiate between fore-court and rear-court grip depending on your position (the further you move foreward the shorter you grip and vica versa)

and lastly differentiate your grip on what shot you are going to play.

so your grip is determined by your postion on the court and the shot you are about to play...

8. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    grip.

well its similar to cooking using a wok. Have you done cooking? Perhaps you can check with you mom or cooks as to how they shift the grips. Pretty similar technique. I'm sure some players do fancy some twisting of shuttles here and there correct?
    rgds:D

9. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Eek! :eek:

That advice will lead players to adopt a panhandle grip, which must be avoided at all costs.

"Panhandling" is the bane of coaches :rolleyes:

10. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

Now here's a thought: As a coach, do you correct the panhandle grip first, eventually leading to a better stroke, or do you focus on teaching the stroke, where at some point the panhandle grip will be rejected in favour of the conventional grip because it is less effective?

I find that most beginners using the panhandle grip tend to have very poor stroking technique. By being instructed to use it, they face having to use an uncomfortable grip to swing an uncomfortable stroke. Naturally, when under pressure, they'll revert to what they find most comfortable - pecking at the bird using a panhandle grip.

It seems to me that if they were emphasizing the grip first, even if you get them to check their grip just before hitting a stroke, they'll tend to peck at the bird, then revert to their panhandle grip because it is more effective for that technique.

I remember reading about a discus coach who would have his students perform a progression of similar general movements (throwing objects using body rotation) for a while, before getting to the actual discus throwing. He said that, at that point, the younger kids who had never thrown a discus before would ask the older ones such basic things as "how do I hold this thing." After a brief explanation, the kid would be throwing the discus with pretty decent technique.

The point is, the grip is a key thing, but it's role really just comes into play just before contact. If everything else is going wrong technique wise at that point, it doesn't really matter how you're holding the racquet.

11. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

The correct grip is only meaningful with the correct technique.

When I teach my students to stop using panhandle, I show them the difference not just between the two grips but also the two techniques.

My coaching points include: throwing action (often actually throw a shuttle first); hit shuttle above you, not in front; right grip.

12. bertbrainz

bertbrainz Regular Member

yes...u have to change ur grip frm time to time to get the best out of the shot...as different shots need the racket face to be different at times...