Who has the best overhead swing motion

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by ChocoChipWaffle, Jul 31, 2006.

1. ChocoChipWaffle

ChocoChipWaffle Regular Member

Which pro has the most "text-book", proper, sort of overhead swing motion? It can be anyone from 1995 and beyond, as long as they are famous (and better if he/she is right-handed";). Thank you.

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    there is no proper swings by pros, especially men pros, they are far superior and often take shortcut or it's part of their style. If I have powerful wrist and fingers, no arm swing required at all. Is that proper swing? No but it is extremely effective and anyone would use it if they got that ability.

comparatively to our level, i think lady singles players have the nicest text book swing that is applicable to us non pros.

3. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

Yes, I think that the Chinese women probably have the best overhead strokes. For example, look at how they use their left arms to help initiate body rotation. That's something you don't see as many of the male players doing, but it certainly helps with power.

For the men, because of their higher levels of strength, I suppose that they can trade away extra power for a stroke requiring less preparation. I remember my coach telling me about when he came to Canada, when he played the top players here they couldn't handle him jump-smashing everything. Why? because a short stroke has a quicker preparation, less time for your opponent to read your shot, and quicker recovery. The trouble is that it is much harder to learn from a video - the resolution tends to be too low to make out the finer movements involved and the camera speed to slow to capture the motion effectively.