Serial numbers..

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by twobeer, Aug 2, 2006.

1. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Hi Guys!

I am a bit puzzled about this Serial-number posting thing.. Where people post their Serial of a NS9K or whatever to "verify" if its fake or real...

What stops a "cloner" from just writing down a number of real serials from genuine rackets and then use them for their copies...

Are the copiers really that stupid that they do not try to make serials look OK as well???

If there are 100 rackets with the same serial, you can of course be pretty sure that 99 of them are fake... But I can't really see the point of the "post your serial sticker here"...

I think in most cases it's obvious wheather its a fake or not just by looking at it and/or swing it (even better test hit a few shots)... If you can't feel the difference then.....

/T

2. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

well i suppose the point is that leehsim has already noted down all the serials that have been posted, so if anyone copies them and someone posts those again, he'll know there's a duplicate and something is fishy. but i agree with you, it shouldn't be that much trouble to change the serials on the fake racquets that they produce. unless they think that it's not really worthwhile since so many people are buying them anyway. besides, a lot of people buying from the internet will not have a chance to examine the racquets closely, let alone try swinging the racquet before the purchase. which is why it is so important (and we can't stress this often enough) to buy from a reputable dealer/seller and to try and avoid ebay if possible!

3. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    This is exactly what I imposed a year ago. Serial numbers posting and checking is getting more and more meaningless nowadays. Fakes now copy the genuine numbers quite a lot, therefore, one cannot say the racket is real just by checking the numbers.

On the other hand, several China fakes makers have already spotted on BC's serials thread and I think they might already copied several serials off here to make fakes. (which is the reason that I never post serials of rackets here)

Last but not the least. Many people are just "using" the thread to be their "buying guide". Heck, I don't think it is fair for us to check the serials for those people. Too many people just want "best rackets" and "best pricing" together, which is not going to happen in anyway. Baby-sitting should not be the way like this. If people want to know something, they better spend their own effort on verifying the serials themselves. Just by entering the numbers here and let leeshim and others to do the work is simply not right.

4. ryim_

ryim_ Regular Member

Capital Market Research
    I agree with bluejeff. its great that leeshim is doing all of us a big favor but some people just abuse it in my opinion. also, no one ever reads the rules before posting.

5. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    True, and a thread like the "sticky" with tons of serial numbers, must be a dream for a potential fake-maker to browse trough and pick "correct" numbers to print on their rackets, or "decoding" the numbering-scheme :D

/Twobeer