Is this forehand grip correct? (pictures)

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by asdf1234, Aug 2, 2006.

1. asdf1234

asdf1234 Regular Member

I am used with the universal grip for my forehand strokes (newbie). I read Gollum's grip articles and tried to get the proper forehand grip for about a month plus now. I think I got the grip correctly but couldn't generate power when returning with the forehand grip.

Could be my arm swing/pronation is not right, but I'll like to know if the grip is correct so I know where to focus on. Here's the pics:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

All the pictures are the same forehand grip. They differs only in the angles for the photo shots. First photo is how I would normally hold the grip when a forehand shot is incoming, 2nd photo is 45 degrees to the left of the first picture; 3rd is 90 degrees to the left and 4th is 180 degrees around.

Any help is appreciated.

2. setaa

setaa Regular Member

that looks like backhand grip (for net kill) to me. your thumb would block the pronation process if you put it there.
    the easiest way to forehand grip is to pretend that you're going to shake hand with someone, put your racket inside your hand with headframe facing you (so you can't see the stringbed assuming you put your arm right in front of you), and let your fingers naturally grip the handle. adjust a tiny bit to the left/right according to your preference. should be correct :)

3. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Hi asdf1234,

I thought your thumb is pointing a bit too high. Could you bring the end of your thumb pointing right to the middle of the gap between you index finger and middle finger? I mean the first/top bone of your thumb could be a bit lower.

The reason why I said so is because when you are doing a forehand stroke with a forehand grip, your thumb does not guide or direct your racket swing. The use of the thumb, when doing the forehand stroke, is to prevent the racket handle from slipping off your grip.

I thought your thumb, as shown in the pics, could restrict the forward motion. The motion of your forehand stroke should be guided by your index finger. So with your thumb so high up, you might not be able to pronate properly.

Cheers... chris@ccc

4. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

your thumb should not be up like that, an easy way to hold it properly is hold your racket in front of you so that you can't see the stringbed, now place your hand flat against the stringbed and move it down to the grip, once you get to the grip hold it comfortably, the v between your index finger and thumb should roughly be in the middle of the side bevel.

5. Monster

Monster Regular Member

definitely a backhand grip to me.

6. Break-My-String

Break-My-String Regular Member

Hi ASDF1234,

Those are great pics!... but unfortunately, it is a picture of a good backhand grip. ;)

In terms of the universal forehand grip...

(1) as mentioned by __LAM, the tip of the "V" (created by your thumb and index finger) should sit in the middle of the side bevel (aka 12 o'clock).

(2) your fingers wrap around the handle as you are doing, but no fingers or thumb should go "pointy"

(3) your thumb should also wrap around the handle, and the side of your thumb & knuckle should sit on the large bevel (same side as the string-bed)

(4) there should be a gap between your first & second finger, your thumb should sit somewhere in that gap (simular to pic #4),

(5) for personal comfort level, you could shift the "V" to 11 o'clock (but that's another type of grip :cool: )

To switch to your backhand, it is done very easily by using only your thumb & index finger to rotate the handle, apply pressure (especially from the face of your thumb) and then grip with the remaing fingers (as in all your pics). If you were to keep your wrist stationary, the head of the racquet should rotate clockwise from 12 o'clock to approximately 2 o'clock :)

One additional note, you may be gripping the racquet too close to the cone (for back-court shots), you should try gripping half an inch lower and see how that feels.

After you have adjusted your timing, you should have a greater racquet head speed, and if everything else was the same, you should feel a little bit more power in your shots.

Cheers!

#6 Break-My-String, Aug 3, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2006
  7. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

It's hard to be sure from those pictures.

Actually, the thumb should be straightened for a correct basic grip. I know this contradicts what I have previously said!

During a power stroke (smash or clear), this straightening will naturally be lost, and so will the small gaps between the fingers. That's fine. Yet during a stroke such a dropshot, the thumb and first finger will help to guide the racket (especially for slicing).

More on this in the new grips guide (of course).

8. Break-My-String

Yes, that is relatively correct. As long as the thumb is straightened but still wraps around the handle, and does not go "pointy" with the thumb being parallel to the handle.

Cheers!

9. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Forehand Grip of LCW

Hi asdf1234,

I found a pic of a forehand grip for you, as you might not understand what I was trying to tell you in post#3.
    Player in the pic is LCW @Macau Open 2006.

Cheers... chris@ccc

LCW Forehand Grip.JPG

10. huynd

huynd Regular Member

I think LCW was about to smash. Normally the forehand gip should be a bit more loosen than that. Besides, there should be some space between the palm and the grip so that you can control it more easily

11. storkbill

storkbill Regular Member

Please include a whole lot more pics in the new guide :) One suggestion, , perhaps you could assign a different colour to each side of the racquet (eg: maybe using a colour marker to colour the grip on each side), and with this colour coding, it will be easier for us to see exactly which part of the grip/racquet our finger/thumb is supposed to be resting on....

I must confess that like the threadstarter, I also intently studied the current guide at first and I think my grip was still wrong... maybe some of us are spatially challenged when trying to 'translate' a 2D photograph into a real '3D' object.

12. Monster

Monster Regular Member

chris@CCC: very good pic man! can use it to polish my gripping too against his ! would be nice too if there's a second pic focusing on the linesgirl...hahaha !

13. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

14. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

maybe a video showing different angles and how to grip the racquet would help.

15. asdf1234

asdf1234 Regular Member

Many thanks to everyone who replied and for the LCW picture. I think chris's bold words are right on. I checked for the V shape as well as all the pointers from everyone.

I am scrapping that backhand grip. This would be the forehand grip I'll work on the next time I get on the court:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Same grip in all photos. Angles differs (2nd pic - 45 degrees, 3rd - 90 degrees, 4th - 140 degrees)

16. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Ah, that looks much better. Well done :)

That's a possibility, but probably I will seek alternative methods that use less bandwidth.

17. Break-My-String

Nooooooo! You need the backhand grip...just don't use it as a standard forehand grip! ;)

Remember, badminton is not played just by one forehand & one backhand grip, there are a number of variations of each grip pending on your body position (where in the court & in the relationship to the shuttle) and the desired shot placement!

Now with your newly acquired knowledge of gripping the racquet, does it feel more comfortable? Can you easily switch to your backhand grip (and back) without thinking? :)

Cheers!