Fake Yonex Rackets

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by jolunewbie, Aug 3, 2006.

1. jolunewbie

jolunewbie Regular Member

student
    Some Good badminton players here in the philippines use fake badminton rackets. So I thought its okay to use fake rackets. Can somebody tell me what is the difference from a fake and original racket. Some told me that the only difference is Durability. They say same flexibility. And i want to confirm this. I am planning to buy a fake racket cause of it's low price

2. george333

george333 Regular Member

Associate Director
    Sure the prices are lower, and the quiality worse. But it all comes down to supporting the cause of badminton. It is like sheet music. You can buy the original or you could photocopy ot. But you are depriving the artists, or in this case most of the time Yonex. In response, the company may have to raise the costs of rackets.

But really, there is no difference. It is only a matter of conscience;)

3. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Once you have both the original and the fake in hand, you will know the difference.

The worst case is you can break the fake one within a couple of hours and your money spent on that fake (althogh less than buying the original) is totally wasted.

4. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    they seem good by your newbie(as stated in your nic) standard but no real good players use fakes unless he is extremely poor or extremely dumb but all good players i come across are not dumb.

5. b.leung

b.leung Regular Member

i definitely disapprove with the use of fake, pirated, stolen... etc etc... stuff
    so fake racquets are usually not good
    i'd rather use a crappy racquet that is genuine from a company than a fake "yonnex"
    i mean like... it almost robbery... if you think about it...
    i hope you can become an advocate for genuine articles
    and for sure, price and quality comes hand-in-hand
    think of buying racquets as an investment rather than just spending money blindly...

6. cooler

cooler Regular Member

it's not only about ethic, it is about safety.
    fakes break apart in action and projectile debris can hit someone else.
    search topic on fakes and flying frame.
    In one case a person died from this.

7. Viper2005

Viper2005 Regular Member

Play Badminton Everyday!
    I see a reason for argument here!!!

It is true that fakes are dangerous and not safe, no argument there, but...
    I've see real yonex break apart in racket collisions and break into pieces and fly out and hitting someone (thank god no one was hurt). My point is that even real rackets can have flaws and defects and can break and hurt someone. Does this mean that we shouldn't buy YONEX?

8. ryim_

ryim_ Regular Member

Capital Market Research
    I remember a few years back when I played badminton at my high school. I was getting ready to serve and a racquet head flew right across in front of me. It was a fake Yonex.

9. cooler

cooler Regular Member

this is not manufacturer defect.
    if a gm car slam into a toyota car and both drivers died, do the family sue the car makers? If this accident caused 5 more collision afterward, do they sue gm and toyota too? U provided a poor analogy

at the very worst, u can sue yonex.
    on fakes, r u gonna sue china?

#9 cooler, Aug 3, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2006
  10. b.leung

b.leung Regular Member

quite clearly this will soon turn into a flame war, all are good arguements, but just let's keep it at: try not to use fake racquets, use your racquet (whether fake or not with utmost care) and common sense... etc etc
    and just have fun!
    all in all, a good racquet definitely helps a player, but is doesn't replace the player
    so don't be so uptight about getting the good quality racquets such that you end up buying fake ones becuase they're close imitates of real ones...

11. cooler

cooler Regular Member

no flames intended;)
    this could be a life and death decision u know

12. Simp84

Simp84 Regular Member

Student
    disagree.... some fakes are as good as real:D
    please dont call peolple dumb or poor.. they might not know anything about fake... and there are good players that use fakes without the knowledge or even care that its a fake...

13. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    But the original post stated that the elite players made comparision and draw a fault conclusion (bad influence) say, fakes are almost as real. As an elite level player, s/he should know better that they are setting up an image for the sport as well. Any claim like they made about fake is better than real stuff, is very bad for the sport itself.

14. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Even if the racket breaks during normal usage, real rackets have legit business firm behind it to take responsibility. A less than critical (when compare to personal injury) example is the warranty policy. Legit company offers warranty, and if a breakage is due to manufacture defect, they will replace with a new one. Never heard the fake ones have such policy. :cool:

15. cooler

cooler Regular Member

i like to add that if elite players claim their fakes are as good as real, then i doubt his honesty and them saying it is for purely monetary gain, ie marketing and/or sponsorship. Many previous gosen sponsored players use yonex in competition, Kenneth J use AT700, wang chen use cab20. Anyone can correct me here but I have not seen any yonex sponsored players using non-yonex rackets in serious competition. There are many good brands of rackets out there but saying good decent players knowingly using fakes have their own motive, be it the promotor or the player himself.

#15 cooler, Aug 3, 2006
  16. cooler

cooler Regular Member

disagree on your disagreement:D
    yes* some fakes can be ok but can never be as good as real. We have people disagreeing on real rackets performance on the same model already, how can we believe someone say their fakes are as good as real:confused: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

*Unfortunately, some fakes are good are not good enough. Since lives and health are at stake, would you buy car tires that fails 50% of the time or fail catastrophically even at 1% rate? (Ford learnt that lesson at costs of lives and billion $$ in fines even though their failure rate are even lower than 1%) Fakes are time bombs, we don't know which one will fail at the wrong time. Each batch is different. From the same fake source , the one u bot maybe good today but may not be good on the next batch.

17. cooler

cooler Regular Member

i like to add so not to confuse with clones. Clone makers usually use their existing proven products and do minor mods and color change to come close to real brands. Any buyers would not be confused or misled thinking they are buying something else. Fakes are meant to misled and fool buyers. Money is fake's one and only motive. Therefore, fakes use the cheapest craps to make it as long as it pass the eye test. Even yonex's prototype ARE NOT FOR COMMERCIAL SALE

#17 cooler, Aug 3, 2006
  18. Isometric_kid

Isometric_kid Regular Member

Student
    fakes are like replicas of model but not same performance as real the just want to make it LOOK as real as they can to profet on your money they dont watse much time to make the rackets porformance same or similar to athentic ones so the materials arent %100 trustable

ahh cooler faster than me by 1 min

#18 Isometric_kid, Aug 3, 2006
  19. cooler

cooler Regular Member

you have taken my post out of context. Read carefully. I did not imply good players are dumb. I said they are dumb to not know they are fakes but i have not come across any dumb good players before. So in reality, i am implying good players are smart.

- regarding to the intelligence of not so good players, i did not pass judgement on my post as the topic was about good player's judgement.
    - regarding the term 'poor', why do u see this in a negative context:confused: I dont look down on poor people. If it is politically incorrect for you, maybe i should rephrase poor as 'financially challenged' if u like. I can assure you that I'm a poor person to many people too.

#19 cooler, Aug 3, 2006
  20. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    It is of course har to generalize and say that all fakes perform bad etc.. For a beginner a more flexible, cheaper fake may actually perform BETTER than the real thing...

Also just like with Copies of rolex watches, there qould be a wide spectrum of quality of fakes, Where functionality wise the best ones rival the real thing...

Personally I have to major reasons for buying original stuff.

a) Performance. If a copy is just a copy of looks, and not technology, then you will have a lesser prodct, obviosuly worth less money. If I want the performance of the original, I will not be satisfied with a good looking but poor performing fake... (Compare this to a fake of a watch, if the original is water-resistant, a fake version who dies when wet isn't simply worth more than a no-name watch).

b) Development & research. I think its fair to "sponsor" and pay for research, and technology advancement made by inventive companies... However there's a limit when I feel they start to "over-price" for just their design / brand-name!!! I gladly pay for R&D, but Im not fond to pay their marketing bills as a consumer!!! This is when I look for alternatives, but definitively not fakes!!

The tricky part is that there are plenty of consumers that isn't really buying the performance of lets say an MP99, but rather the "feeling" of owning the "brand"-to-have and the most expensive model number.. they don't understand, and appreciate the difference between a high-end models and a low-end model, so thay are really not buying the performance of the high end model but rather the name/hype...

These "gullable" consumers, are of course the main target for branding, marketing.. So in away I feel the fake-industry makes marketing an hype less profitable (the hype/looks/name can most easilly be faked).. and technology (this can't as easilly be faked) more important / profitable.. So on a large scale I find that there is also a small positive factor of the fake-industry, reducing marketing/branding values and increasing tech. values).

my 2 cents.

/Twobeer