racquet recommendation for me

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by b.leung, Aug 3, 2006.

1. b.leung

b.leung Regular Member

Hi i'm fairly "new" because i've only started playing seriously for the past two years or so
    i've made the school team for both years
    i'm a pretty strong guy, i weigh about 145 lbs
    5" 4' or so (give or take)
    my game is very balanced, i can smash very well, drop birds close to the net (cross court etc), clear from baseline to baseline (forehand only) and decent work on my backhand.
    i'd say i'm a bit leaning towards the aggressive side rather than defensive
    i like synthetic grips
    i play in the intermediate level (maybe in the low-intermediate level)
    i plan to play at least twice a week
    hopefully the racquet you recommend is both durable and has high performance
    i'm willing to spend about 150 dollars (preferably less cuz university is expensive these days so not much money to spend on leisure activities)
    i hope the above information will give an accurate portrayal of myself to help you guys give a good recommendation for me
    oh yea, i really like the carbonex type of racquets
    i use my friend's cab for like almost all my training...
    i also used one FLEET racquet for a while for training but don't remember specifically
    oh yea... not sure if this is a factor though, but i have tremendous power in my arms and i'm not sure if light racquets are able to be subjected to such forces, so please keep taht in mind...

2. george333

george333 Regular Member

Associate Director
    Hello b.leung, welcome to badmintoncentral! Given your budget and preference to oval head shaped rackets, I would recommend a Carbonex 21, I think it is $100 or so USD. Or you could go with a Carlton Airblade Tour which should cost around $100 also. I hope you find what you are looking for!

3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Since you stated that you are a cab fan, I guess cab30ms definitely worth a shot. It's a very well made all around racket. If you purchase from US, it's around US$100-120 range (then, plus shipping, string, and possible duty tax, right into your budget range. ;)

4. b.leung

b.leung Regular Member

btw, it's not a neccessary to stick to yonnex and or cabs
    i'm fine wiht basically any other brand, so long as it's quality and durable cuz like i said, i'm not rich... can't afford to constantly buy racquets
    planning to keep the new racquet for at least 2-4 years
    yea, other brand suggestions similar to cabs are welcome (my game is pretty well-round, but i just don't like defensive ones, so try to recommend doubles smashing... if that helps)

5. Dummey

Dummey Regular Member

Student
    Well if I liked the Cab then go with a Cab30. It's a very solid racket that will last you for a while. I personally was a huge Cab fan till I bougt my first SOTX because of dinkalots infulence and have sense been a fan of their rackets. They are durable as far as rackets that I've used.

6. b.leung

b.leung Regular Member

i ended up getting a isometric 65 light 50 bucks
    price was a real issue as i recently got my tuition letter amounting to about 5 grands...
    sigh
    i hope university isn't as overrated as people say it is...
    but then i think being a pharmacist wouldn't be too bad... :p
    yea, and i wanna improve my game before i get serious and buy some expensive racquets...
    omg, the other i saw nanospeed 9000 on ebay for 90 bucks canadian... but used...

#6 b.leung, Aug 8, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2006
  7. Dummey

Dummey Regular Member

Student
    I hav a iso 665 light myself and I detest this racket in many ways. It is a great racket is begining with because u can smack it agianst a wall (yes i tried), and it won't break, but once I really started to get into games, it felt like the racket was always limiting me in some way. If your racket came pre-strung with 65's at 20ish pounds, I definately recommand that you restring it sometime in the future with a bit more tension. I've done 24 pounds on my racket before and I still couldn't get any feeling of crispness in my shots.

8. b.leung

b.leung Regular Member

thanks for all the replies, they're a great help
    i will get to know the anatomy and science behind racquets and will purchase a new one in prolly a year's time or so
    i just needa jump from a beginning intermediate to being a true blue intermediate... still needa work on a few things before i play for serious