Flying clamps & Tying off Last string.

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by mongoose, Aug 6, 2006.

1. mongoose

mongoose Regular Member

I just got my ST250 with flying clamps.
    Had absolutely no problems using this baby.
    Tension is consistent, mounting system is excellent.
    However I wonder how other stringers in this forum tie off their last cross (or main) without losing too much tension on that last string.
    Is it a good idea to increase the tension of that last string by about 2 lbs?
    Or is there a method of tying off that can minimise the tension loss?
    I actually thought of jamming the grommet hole with an awl but decided against it for fear of damaging the grommet or frame.
    Thanks for your ideas and suggestions.

2. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Regular Member

IIRC, Pete posted a way he uses to solve this exact issue. Pete?

As you mentioned, you can also increase the last string's tension by a couple of pounds or so to compensate, but this may become problematic when you string upwards of 33 lbs. Because 2 lbs. over that is getting into the breaking point of some strings, not to mention some racquets.

Personally, I'm not too bothered by that tension loss in of itself. I'm more interested in churning out consistent, repeatable jobs. Accuracy is very important, of course; but, once a customer finds a setup that s/he likes, then my priority is to be able to turnaround her/his racquet the same way everytime. Tension loss and all.

FWIW, HTH.

3. Shuttlebugs

Shuttlebugs Regular Member

Hi Mongoose,

How much did you pay for your ST250

4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I agree with this method. That's why i always suggest the players to stick with his/her own favorite stringer, to the the consistent outcome. ;)

5. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Hi Mongoose,
    I would not suggest use awl in frommet method because exactly what you feared. Most of the time, there will be no damage to the frame. However, the force is not enough to stop the string to slip back anyway. (I tried before and BG68ti slip due to the coating and BG85 slip because too thin) I only add 1 lb to the last main tide off because what Quasi said. Beside, the top 2 strings are usually outside of sweetspot anyway.

6. jerby

jerby Regular Member

a nice trick is to do the last main as second last. I'll draw soemthing.
    It might solve it..

[​IMG]

7. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Hi Jerry,

I am just wonder, would this put extra stress on the frame's weak spot on the top when you use 1 piece method?

8. jerby

jerby Regular Member

erm, why? there are no extra crosses, are there? I really can't see where the extra stress shoudl be. I just know the tensionloss from the knot is shared between the second last and last string (friction-at-an-angle helping me out:cool:)

anyways, I stole this technique from DinkAlot (and Sotx also does this on their pre-strung rackets)

9. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Regular Member

Interesting technique, but isn't there a longer untensioned length of string compared to a normal pattern? IOW, 2 holes length vs. 1 hole length?

To the OP: a somewhat related trick to lessen the tension loss and help prevent the knot from disappearing into the grommet---this isn't my idea, I read it at USRSA's website---when you tie off the last knot and tug on the tail to tighten it, hold on to it until after you clamp off. Because when the untensioned piece evens up the slack (i.e., after you clamp off), it pulls on the knot further into the grommet. If you hold on to the tail, the knot wouldn't slide too far, hence less tension loss. In my experience, this is especially true for main tie-off(s). Cross tie-off isn't so much because of the friction with the main strings.