Malaysian players' feat in Korea

Discussion in 'Korea Open / Hong Kong Open 2006' started by weeyet, Aug 7, 2006.

1. weeyet

weeyet Regular Member

Engineer / Freelance pianist
    LCW: to maintain world no.2 ranking in order to avoid LD until the final in Madrid.

Hafiz and KBH: to regain confidence

CTF/LWW and CCM/KKK: to test consistency, maintaining world ranking (3rd and 2nd respectively)

Fairuz/LWF: to reach semifinal in KO in order to break into world ranking top 4. By then, Malaysia might have 3 pairs in top 4 seeding in Madrid, a good way for a sure final berth.

2. elwin81

elwin81 Regular Member

gppd news to MAS players. Let's wait and see how they and other players perform in KO.

3. event

event Regular Member

Yes, this new points system is going to mean a big levelling right before the WC, I think. The week of the Hong Kong Open some huge chunks of points, to the tune of 6000 - 8000, will come off the ranking totals of Chan/Koo, Jens/Martin, Alven/Luluk, and Fu/Cai. Alven/Luluk will have to kick butt in Korea and/or Hong Kong to stay in the top 8 but the current top 3, Chan/Koo plus the Chinese and the Danes will have to do well, too, because they will basically end up even with Lee/Choong, Fairuz/LWF and Lee/Jung after HK, given that the ranking of none of these last 3 teams is currently based on any points from last year's WC and HK Open.

4. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

According to the Star, it seems CTF/LWW will be skipping the Korea Open and going to the Hong Kong Open instead ...

5. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    Care too much about ranking

I agree Lee Chong Wei need to keep him ranking to avoid clash with Lin Dan before final but I am not sure about the rest of the Malaysian players. I think what Rexy said is correct, to be the champion, you need to beat all the top teams, not by avoiding them. KKK/CCM worry too much about their ranking, look at the team China Fu/Cai, they're confident to beat any team regardless the ranking, that's the attitude Malaysian players lacks off. Roslin Hashim was ranked #1 in World Championship 2001(?) and got knocked out in 1st round if my memory serve me right. I am looking for a pleasant surprise from Beng Hong, now that there's no taget set for him, he may play well. :rolleyes:

6. event

event Regular Member

As I discuss elsewhere, I seriously doubt that Lin Dan will be in the top 2 going into the WC, whereas Lee Chong Wei is virtually assured of being the top seed. In other words, he can't do anything to ensure that they won't meet before the final.

I don't remember that but Lin Dan was #1 before the 2004 Olympics and Susilo took him out very close to the first round, didn't he? I don't know if Kim Dong-moon and Ha Tae-kwun were #1 before the 2003 WC but they went out in the first round, too, albeit because of Ha's injury.

I'm not surprised Lee/Choong are only playing one of the two events. As I mentioned in this post, if they play two, their ranking won't improve much as it will mean a loss of 2000 points from their previous, tenth-best showing in the last year. Add to that the fact that everyone wants to stay in form but not get injured a month before a big event, and it sounds like a wise decision.

#6 event, Aug 14, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2006
  7. Jessica

Jessica Regular Member

Student
    I hope the men doubles can do something....Actually MAS has many pairs of talented MD and i can see their future now.....So,best luck to them and of course LCW....I hope he can win the KO title...

8. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    May the force be with us

I think Malaysian players basically have all the necessary ingridient to win the MS and MD titles except actually win one :crying:
    Like Lee Chong Wei have said, next World Championship is in Malaysia so it's OK if he doesn't win this year(Yap doesn't agree, so am I. If you have the ability to win this year, grab it)

9. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    I agree as well. This is defeatist in the first instance, offering an excuse in the second, and gives added pressure to next year giving him only one chance.

A competitive athlete should IMO want to win every tournament he enters, and with LCW being a competitive athlete with a realisitic chance of winning this should also be the case for him.

10. Simp84

Simp84 Regular Member

Student
    everything else is ture.... except for Hafiz regaining confidence part..
    He needs more discipline.. I am surprised Misbun didn't say anything regarding his playful manner on court.. especially all those hopeless fancy shots.. really dunno whats up with misbun....

11. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Totally agree. As a LCW fan, I'm rather disappointed with his remarks. He needs some guidance on clear thinking. In terms of recognition as the badminton ace, the WC would be considered more highly than Asiad so WC should be the one to aim for. However, I have a feeling he could be tired as he played too many tournaments this year and his knee pains may affect his performance should it flare up.
    But I'm appalled with BAM. Don't they have some strategist who can tally ranking points correctly so that LCW play only in tournaments that count? At his level now , he should only play the minimum no. of tourneys needed to achieve or maintain the No. 1 ranking. Anything more is likely to harm rather than help him. His body needs sufficient rest to sustain the high level and in the long term, extend his career. We don't want what happened to WCH to happen to him. BAM was in fact foolish and if I may say so, irresponsible to field WCH for MS, MD and XD! in the MCG.Mathematical probability does not work with the human body because it has a limit. If a player can play up to 6 matches at the high level to win a title, fielding him in 3 disciplines means he will win none and worse, cause unknown damage to his body. For this reason, BAM should forget about the WPT/KKK XD. You know that WPT/KKK can never win a XD title, so why bother? They are no longer at the stage where they need maximum match exposure.Let them concentrate on their MD and WD to increase their chances of winning a more credible title.
    I hope LCW will mentally readjust his priorities and aim for the WC title this year because Madrid is neutral ground and he is a highly rated favourite. Don't wait another year because a lot can change in that time. Remember just a year ago, few would consider LCW a match for LD and now even LD recognises him as his equal and the one who pushes him to play at his highest level.

12. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    Badminton: No showdown
    17 Aug 2006
    K.M. Boopathy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    THE much anticipated showdown between China’s World No 1 Lin Dan and Malaysia’s World No 2 Lee Chong Wei will not happen at the Korea Open as the former has skipped the six-star tournament which starts in Seoul on Wednesday.

And in Lin Dan’s absence, Chong Wei is the top seed and is expected to meet Denmark’s Peter Gade Christensen for the title. China have also rested Chen Jin, ranked third, and fourth-ranked Chen Hong from the Korea Open but they are expected to play in the Hong Kong Open on Aug 30-Sept 3.

Chong Wei, on his part, will skip the Hong Kong event which means the 24-year-old Malaysian’s next showdown with Lin Dan will not happen until the final of the World Championships in Madrid on Sept 18-24, provided the two players live up to their ranking.

Chong Wei’s big test in Korea should come from Olympic and world champion Taufik Hidayat of Indonesia who will be looking for a good result after crashing out in the last 16 of the Macau Open last month.

In three career meetings Taufik has beaten Chong Wei twice, and the Malaysian needs a win in Korea to boost his confidence ahead of the World Championships.

In the absence of China’s top players, Hafiz Hashim, who is seeded in the top eight, can also aim for a quarter-final spot. In the men’s doubles, World No 1 Jens Eriksen-Martin Lundgaard Hansen of Denmark are back after their Singapore Open victory in June and are likely to meet Malaysian pair Chan Chong Ming-Koo Kien Keat, the World No 3, in the final.

Chong Ming-Kien Keat have been seeded second after China’s World No 2 Cai Yun-Fu Haifeng pulled out, while Lee Yong Dae-Jung Jae Sung of South Korea and Lin Woon Fui-Fairuzizuan Tazari are the joint third seeds.

Chong Ming-Kien Keat, have yet to decide if they will play in the Hong Kong Open as they look good for a semi-final berth in Korea.

This will confirm their spot in the top four heading into the World Championships.

But Chong Ming-Kien Keat, based on the seedings, will have a tough time in Korea as they can expect to meet South Korean hot-shots Jung Jae Sung-Lee Yong Dae in the last four.

The Korea Open will also see the return of Indonesia’s Luluk Hadiyanto-Alven Yulianto and Markis Kido-Hendra Setiawan who have not competed in any grand prix tournaments since the Indonesia Open in June. They have been preparing for the World Championships.

13. weeyet

weeyet Regular Member

The Malaysian MD pairs seriously, must win it this year, because MD powerhouses Indonesia and Korea are in switching period, their old MD retired and new pairs still haven't reached true world class. China only has Cai/Fu. Denmark only has Jens/Martin and Lars/JR, but both going downhill.. Beware of Tony Gunawan from US as well..

This year is the best chance for Malaysia.

14. weeyet

weeyet Regular Member

Since Lin Dan skipped KO, if he wins the HKO, what does it mean??...

15. event

event Regular Member

Lin hasn't played as many tournaments as the other guys in the top 4. He can get a maximum of 5200 from winning the HKO and that would leave him with 35603. Lee Chong Wei can beat that just by making the round of 16 in Korea and he'll still end up ahead of Lin Dan. Lee and the others all stand to have points subtracted when their points are added from Korea or Hong Kong. So, for example, Chen Jin could win in Hong Kong and get 5200 but then he loses 2310 from the All England and ends up with 35219. Peter Gade can win 5200 from Korea but loses 1440 from Thailand and ends up with 36509. He also hasn't said he's not playing in Hong Kong so he has a chance to enter the WC as the top seed, especially with the top Chinese absent from the Korea Open, an event Gade has won 3 times already.

In short, the current top 4 will still be the top 4 going into the WC unless Lin Dan and Chen Jin lose in the first round in Hong Kong and either Lee Hyun-il or Hafiz win both Korea and Hong Kong.