2U vs 3U no weight difference but...

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by storkbill, Aug 7, 2006.

1. storkbill

storkbill Regular Member

I put a 2U and 3U NS9000S on a digital weighing scale (measured two ways, racquet lying flat on scale, and standing upright). Their weights were identical to the nearest gram.

However, the 2U NS9000S 'feels' heavier because of a relatively more head-heavy balance point. I confirmed this by asking a neutral 3rd party which feels heavier and the answer was also the 2U.

Wonder if this is the norm, or i just got NS9000 samples at the 'margins' of the ranges (as 2U/3U are expressed as 'weight ranges' rather than exact weights...)

2. jerby

jerby Regular Member

did you add any overgrips? one strung other unstrung?

if not you might just be unlucky. a yonex 3u is between 85 and 90 grams. and a 2u is 90-93 grams (right?)

I think that if you buy bulks of 2u and 3u rackets the weights will differ...

3. storkbill

storkbill Regular Member

agree 100% about sample variations given the number of variables, not only the shaft/frame but the wood grip as well. many explanations possible, another one is that yonex stuck the wrong sticker on it, won't be the first time, tho' the only way to check is to remove the overgrip to see the product label on the wood grip.

Anyway, maybe just a slight shift of the balance point towards head-heaviness is all that i need as opposed to an increase in weight... in which case, the 2U will still be a good buy (I use G5, so relative to G4/G3, G5 racquets have a relatively 'head-heavier' balance point).

4. jerby

jerby Regular Member

so you think 2U's are just plain head-heavier?
    isn't that a bit of a bold statement after measuring 2 rackets?

5. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    If both racquets are unstrung and have had no grip change, it means one is off-spec. This may or may not adversely affect the off-spec's playability. However, it is highly unlikely that they weigh the same. The racquets do go through an inspection stage on weight, balance point, and grip, unless Yonex has lower qc standards now.

6. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    please provide data.
    ie, what were the weights in g?
    my 3u ns9k weights 87.92 g. no string, no overgrip

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    the nearest gram may not be enough precision. 2u/3u can be very small difference.

i have cab20 2U, measures around 94.5 grams. i have another cab20 which is a U, measures 95.2 grams!

8. storkbill

storkbill Regular Member

2UG5 with string BG-66, no overgrip = 92grams, 3UG5, identical. (sorry i got my racquets strung).

Since the balance point varies, it may well be that the 3U racquet may have a few grams extra in the grip, whereas the 2U racquet has a few extra grams in the shaft/frame but it ends up the same.

9. storkbill

storkbill Regular Member

Just pointing out my experience. It's the same thing for my 2U versus 3U Ti-10. My 2U Ti-10 is wayyy heavier + head heavier as well.

I know it's just one sample, which is what BC is for, to share information and increase the sample size. Hope others can contribute their experience :)