Footwork-Mix for different situation in training

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by TrueBlue, Aug 7, 2006.

1. TrueBlue

TrueBlue Regular Member

Hi!
    The Badmintoncourts are closed here for the not so good players. I'm practising footwork for singles on a flat gras area. But i wonder how to train for different situations. For example i imagine i play a smash or a high clear- different footwork would be required.

So has anyone read a article or seen a coaching video which shows a way to mimic different situations with different steps and varying bases (where you have to after a shot)?
    for me its quit confusing... . Normaly i use the footwork from the coaching video: "Jason Wong - :DWorldclass badminton". But it seems to be mainly for situations where you play high clears (from back) and high lobs (from net)... .

I also use advises from lee jae books videos and the book of butch o. and from the dvd of the german badminton federation (was also partly posted here). But of course the footwork was always different.

I know that different players use different steps but i'm more interested in different steps according to different strokes played by urself. For example walking back to base after high clear vs. running to the net after steep smash.

I already used the forum search which was helpfull but maybe somebody know a routine where you imagine urself playing different shots from the same spots and use different footworks.:rolleyes:

I know one video (35 MB) showing a danish former pro executing almost all different kinds of footwork, but it's not in a way that could be a possible rally in a real game and they give no advises which footwork would be best for certain situation (after certain strokes).

#1 TrueBlue, Aug 7, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2006
  2. jerby

jerby Regular Member

if you are a tactical minded guy, just play a shadow game. just start with a forehand lbo footwork and then 'imagine' what you opponent could do...
    good mind excersise, you'll might learn a bit about your own shot selection..

what we do in practise is about 5 cycles of 1-2mins. first we just go about the entire court, rest, second as the first. and then the third time we focus on the forecourt with 'some' movements backwards, and a lot foreward (like an agressive netplayer) rest, focus on rearcourt. rest. focus on forew-ward backward movement.

Don't think about 1 cyclce to do it all. focus on an aspect each time. like 1th round a bit off everything. rest. 2th round 'defensive' footwork (clears, smashreturns to the lines, dropreturn) rest. 3th round 'offensive' footwork (smashes, netkills, maybe some jumps)

3. TrueBlue

TrueBlue Regular Member

Why not all in the end?

4. jerby

jerby Regular Member

if you only do full-court shadowing the pace will soon disapear and it'll become jogging.
    if you really want to do full-court shadowing do it for just 1min (maximum) and burn yourself out completely.

yesterday my coach did a new form.
    stand at the T-joint (front or back) and the first round you walk backwards (2 steps to forehand, 2 steps around the head) do this at 110% pace. you should be dead tired when you end (in what I think was 40secs)
    rest 15 secs. then do the same to the forecourt, 2 steps forward, backhand and forehand.
    15 sces rest, no do the forecourt again. now cover the same distance in one step (almost a jump). 15 secs rest.
    last round (the real killer) midcourt blockjumps. jumnp sideways to the forehand, sideways to around-the-head. 15 secs.

then lie down somewhere and catch your breath;)

5. TrueBlue

TrueBlue Regular Member

The "catch your brearh while lying on my back" i can perform well already.

Hmm, i know this kind of exercise, but it is more about the physical aspects.

I would like to do something to inprint the correct steps for different situations . For example if i do the same like you, then i noticed in game i always do the same footwork.

And the very worst is: I always run back to the middle of the course which is damned wrong if you always do it.:eek:
    I think it's just inprinted in my memory from footwork training like the one you described.

6. jerby

jerby Regular Member

if you want to 'inprint' footwork, try to just 'walk' all those corners. at 50% speed do all corners in all sorts of ways, keep an eye on your base. that should , in the logn run, make you 'remember' your steps..i hope...

7. Carbonex_21

Carbonex_21 Regular Member

engineer
    Hi guys,

I want to improve my footwork from center court (ready position) to lefthand rear-court to take a round the head shot.
    How many steps do you take to reach the end corner?
    Do you move backway or sideway?
    Do you count your steps during playing?so that u know the shuttle goes out?

Thanks.

8. TrueBlue

TrueBlue Regular Member

flying step: like a jump during which you bring your right leg to the corner, evtl. another small jump with right leg facing roundthehead-corner, right leg big step so that it is quite far behind and more to the left than left leg (forces body rotation), swissors-jump. this is one possibility.

9. Tony Roddis

Tony Roddis Regular Member

Hi can anyone help, I am trying to find a method for knowing when to push up off the racket leg in respect to the shuttle height, to make the best contact .Is there a drill that I can practice?

Thanks,
    Tony