When receiving a serve..

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by rayraymond, Aug 9, 2006.

1. rayraymond

rayraymond Regular Member

Hi,

I am 175cm high, right handed
    I want to know if my standing position is right when i receive my opponent's serve..

I usually stand 1 foot(or 1.5feet) behind the "short line"
    and i bend my leg a little, so i see through the net of what my opponent is doing.

Will u watch your opponent over the net?

If i stand right next to the short line, i can barely hit it back if he serves high., this way i can't smash back. If i stand 1 foot behind, i can have a chance to hit it back with power on his weak side.

and when u receive the serve, where in the racket handle do you hold(grip)?
    up(up = towards the string) or down(down = end)

THanks

2. jamesshieh88

jamesshieh88 Regular Member

Student
    from your description, i think its fine. however, i believe everyone has their own recieving service position. if you're more athletic like the pros are, they'll little stand at the line just to give themselves the advantage when recieving short serves but they're athletic enough to go back and have a powerful smash even on high serves.

3. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    You should receive a serve standing in a position that gives you the best chace of making a quality return based on the likelyhood of the serve to be received.

For example if a person ALWAYS without any fail serves short then you should stand as close to the line as possible. In practice this does not happen.

The stronger you are the more likely it is you will stand close to the front, because you are at a higher level so more short serves, but also you are quicker to cover the flick serve.

If you are in a game and you are frequently caught out by short serves, then move further forward, and vice versa.

It is very important when receiving however that you hold the racket at the position you wish to make contact with the shuttle(in terms of height), so you have less distance to travel to reach the shuttle. I see many players holding there rackets above their heads or by their hips, then receiving service at their shoulders, meaning they have let the shuttle drop further whilst taking a short serve. All movement should be directly towards the shuttle when receiving, as speed is of the essence.

4. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    HELP! PLEASE.

okay, so I've been good at recieving service whether it's a low serve or a flick serve. I can do a good drop return to force the opponent a lift. I can also push the bird when recieving a serve and then flick the shuttle near the net once the back player returns a weak shot. I can also return it high and place it to either of the corner square at the base line. Now for the flick serve, I usually can go back fast and hit a smash or an overhead drop.

Pretty much, I can say that I'm a good reciever ... but not until just a while ago. You see, I compted against a Philippine badminton team ex-member in men's doubles. During the first set, I think I was amply recieving his service. But somehow, he changed his style. Instead of serving w/ his backhand, he used a forehand serve. It was nothing really different because I've competed with someone with that kind of service ... or so I thought.

Well, he made this service that I just couldn't hit back. This usually happens when I'm positioned in the right side of the court. He does this forehand high serve that lands almost in the middle at the back of the court. It was so fast that I couldn't see it, or I percieve it as long or wrong court. But the service was really precise. He did this a couple of times and never falters.

After the game, that person said that I was standing at the wrong position. And then my partner said I was too far from the middle line. But then, I thought that If I stand near the middle line, the area to my right would be too much exposed. Then my partner argued that it's easier to cover that area. Thus, I tried that position in the next game. Hell, it didn't work for me. Now I don't know what to do.

A LITTLE HELP. PLEASE ...

5. OSFcross

OSFcross Regular Member

Registered Nurse
    I think your partner is assuming that you're athletic enough to intercept a short serve the moment it crosses the net, way before it even nears the short service line. A service to your right side means that the shuttle has to travel further, thereby increasing it flight time. It can be pushed, given that the timing is right.

6. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve Regular Member

Student
    I think it depends on if you are left handed or right handed. I am right handed and so I always stand slightly more to the left side of the receiving square because I get more reach toward my forehand side because I don't have to reach across my body. So I'd suggest that you stand the opposite side of your dominant hand, (right hander - left side, left hander - right side) but only slightly. But of course this is just how I play, you should find whats comfortable for you.

7. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    Thanks. The tips are very much appreciated

8. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    you should be able to cover the edge of the serve box easily even if you stand close to the middle line of the court. it's only one step to the edge (to hit the shot). look at the top players. their feet are basically touching both the center line and the front service line.

do what suits you. but if you are being caught out a lot on the very outer edge, move over a bit.