Quick question about backhand smash

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Azianhero, Aug 9, 2006.

1. Azianhero

Azianhero Regular Member

does the power come from the thumb of the fingering of the grip or does it come from the wrist :confused: im having a little trouble doing it and its so weak! help!

2. robc06

robc06 Regular Member

Editor
    wrist and thumb and making sure you snap through the motion.

3. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Technically, it's more forearm than wrist.

The backhand swing is like a forehand swing in reverse, except that the backhand must be stopped/rebounded after impact, rather than following through.

Backhand smashes will, at best, be about equal to a forehand "half-smash".

4. Lobber

Lobber Regular Member

im not really a fan of a backhand smash.Why do you bother to backhand smash when player can take it easily.Beside,backhand smash will slow you down even more than backhand,making recoving to the net slower.

5. Chire

Chire Regular Member

In addition to that, the importance of the finger action process on especially backhand smash is to be highlighted. Rolling the racket with fingers doubles the power, at least according to my experience. The timing becomes however, a bit harder to find.

I've seen mainly two ways of executing backhand clear. Some people place the thumb on the wide side of the handle, and no finger rolling is included. I, for some reason, cannot comprehend nor execute a backhand properly this way. Note that these players almost never use backhand smash.

In the other rolling the racket with fingers is very important. This way backhand clears/smashes can be executed well even behind the body (well, in front of actually). These players often like to use backhand smash. Note that Taufik uses this way of executing a backhand. The reason for stopping/rebounding the backhand at/after the impact just feels natural due to the finger action process.

This proved very hard to explain, so I may have to rephrase.