too short for badminton? and other issues

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by LevelZero, Aug 10, 2006.

1. LevelZero

LevelZero Regular Member

student
    my coach tells me that if you want to play badminton, you must be above 165cm at least. right now im 162cm, i hope im still growing as im a teenager. my height is considered short and in class im the 3rd shortest.

what styles are suitable for shorter players like me. i cannot get any steep angle while smashing. (but i can generate decent power). i have short legs which makes court coverage alot more tiring and more energyconsuming compared to other taller players.

my other friends can make it from the baseline to the net in two steps. and when i try that, the most i can make it is slightly infront of the service line. and that requires all my strenght that i have difficulty pulling back. and recoverin.

i do know it's not impossible to be fast even if you're short. in the past, when i was alot lousier. my coach always taught me to "get the shot over and just try not to make mistakes". that was my piority. thanks to that, ive attained a certain level of consistancy. i have drops that fall in the region quite close to the net. ive improved my lifts so they can hit near the corners of the rear court...., im not exactly fast. in fact i wud think that im slow.

but now, ive meet a few guys. no matter how much i dropped them corner to corner, they cud retrieve them effortlessly. i always lose the battle as i always tire out first, (as i have alot more difficulty in courtcoverage). i need to stretch more while taking an offensive clear, (which sometimes result in not enough power generated). i send a half base shot and BANG i just lost the point. the new people i meet just seem to be able to take all those drops which used to win me the points in the past.., i carn seem to win people in rallying. im just too short to be able to fight against players bigger,taller, stronger.

ahhh the agony of being short.

2. BuntaMarui

BuntaMarui Regular Member

Student
    Since ur living at CCK area u shud be seeing many 6 yr olds playing every Sunday night at the Sports Stadium. They trained till young and can do veri well , u can improve ur game thru practice...footwork and doing baseline shots are common problems among pple..

3. LevelZero

LevelZero Regular Member

student
    erhm im at the complex at night till sometimes 8 plus every sunday. and no i dun c mani 6 yr olds...

4. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

What rubbish. That is a very unhelpful attitude for your coach to adopt.

Shorter players have some disadvantages -- smaller steps, can't smash as steeply. They also have some advantages -- more natural, relaxed position for receiving serve; easier to cope with shots to the body and fast, flat rallies.

At the elite level, there is probably a very slight advantage to taller players, especially in singles. Yet look at all the short(ish) Indonesian doubles players!

You also have several years left to grow taller :) Different persons grow at different times; some finish earlier than others. You may not finish growing until you are 20 - 21.

#4 Gollum, Aug 10, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2006
  5. jerby

jerby Regular Member

never, ever, let anybody tell you you can't do something...being short has as many advantages as disadvantages...

I, tall nevertheless, have grown very very much in the past years and have ahd soem real difficulties with it.

1) my bones have outgrown my muscles: I don't have the legstrength to walk to big steps my legs want to do (doing better now)
    2) all of the sudden the floor seems very far away
    3) I'm still adjusting my timing to my new foudn hight
    4) I'm have some backproblems and can't fidn the boundryline between a very low around-the-head or a backhand and sometimes overstretching my back.

You on the other hand are growing steadily. your muscles keep up with your bones, your timing will not change so much. the way you play badminton now is probably how it will always be, and you can get acustomed to it faster than us giants:p

And either way, I'm 1.96m you will probably get 1.70m. There's nothign to change, there's everything to train for...live with it;) (like we have a choice:p)

6. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    I'm short too!

Oh, and I'm definitely not 162cm. And farrr from 165cm.

I'm... *drum roll*... 154cm!

Hehe. Not a disadvantage at all though. At least I don't feel it. As I see it I'm closer to the floor.. no need to stoop so much for smashes.. and the stretching for shots? Since I've never been tall I'll never feel the difference..

If you have good stamina.. well, you'll never tire out. Unless you're against a player who is a lot better than you.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: never blame your height if you lose. ;-)

I've beaten players 2 heads taller than me. And lost to players my height(rarely meet players who are shorter than I am =P).

Conclusion: Height does not matter. =)

7. Youngunz_77

Youngunz_77 Regular Member

lol height plays a role but its not everything

speed and technique should be in your side if ur height gives u a disadvantage

8. Double_Player

Double_Player Regular Member

dude...162 @ what age? I'm at the same height and have stop growing (I hope not!) can't complain. gotta be thankful you're not a disable person. I go from base line to the net in about 3 or more step. just gotta do it quicker that's all...

BTW, I'm 22.

9. Ranmira

Ranmira Regular Member

EEE Student
    I think I'm still short (165cm-ish), and I think the advantage of shorter people from experience would be what Gollum and Joanne said: a more relaxed position for receiving, as well as a somewhat more natural position to produce powerful drives for fast rallies.

I seem to win that way, so I guess it works.

It is true that shorter people take more steps to cover the court, but I think it would help if you can develop anticipation on where the next shot would go -- you can gain initiative that way.

If it's true that your strong shots aren't working anymore -- maybe it's time to improve on them. You might be progressing quite a bit from what you remember, and playing against people better than your previous pool. It's a great incentive to learn more!

10. PandaLord

PandaLord Regular Member

Student
    The best way to play with taller people is to NOT play like them :p. Dont try to smash near the baseline for example. Instead, use your more defensive posture (lower center of gravity makes for faster explosive movement) to dominate him by placing shots properly till you get the chance to finish it off.

I personally feel that i can win opponents who are quite tall by smashing/driving fast. They cant seem to move around/scoop smashes and recover fast enough.

Thats my two cents though. It seems to work for me and i feel no disadvantage in court. (I'm 165 cm haha)

Try thinking technique, physical fitness and confidence as reasons. Sometimes having low selfasteem destroys your game.

11. BuntaMarui

BuntaMarui Regular Member

Student
    I'm onli 163cm also too .. But if u feel lose out jus becos ur shorter , u will never improve and their is certain limit to how the height can help u in the game... ;)

If height realli make badminton a whole lot difference then Yao Ming shud be trained as a badminton player? :D

Footwork,skill,tactic>Height :cool: :cool:

I'm not sure abt my bro height but arnd typical 8 yr old and still play well:eek: